Originally Posted by Sini
Originally Posted by Derid
One reason spheres are apt descriptors of idealogical spectrum is that is you travel far enough in one direction, you end up on the opposite side.

My key objection to your statement can be summarized as "anti-authoritorian != left-wing". At least not for the past 50 years.

I don't classify these people as anti-authoritarian, quite often these types are actually very authoritarian - they just make exceptions for excercise of authority they personally dislike. In any case, I still consider these demonstrations very pro-authoritarianism because they fundamentally assert that the rights of others are secondary to their own personal opinions. In their view, the rights of property owners are secondary to their their own personal opinions and desires, giving them the right to harass people and tresspass until they get their way.

Noted that you object to the rhetoric, I think the subtext that these people are pretty similar in many regards to what they purport to hate still stands. Largely because I don't think these folks even have a coherent idealogy beyond the theatrics of outrage. I don't think a thorogough examination of their overall belief spectrum would reliably place them as left or right, just attention-seekers who like chaos and confrontation. Though I also view many who self-identify with the far left in the same light.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)