Originally Posted By: sinij
Originally Posted By: Derid

Its pretty simple...

So how far would you go in your "cost of doing business" ?

You are willing to compromise on fiscal conservatism, small government and individual rights. Whats left? Irrational hate of social programs?

Well, Obama is certainly worse.

But generally, I was commenting on the state of negative assaults of the left vs the GOP. Some of the criticisms are warranted, others less so or blown way out of proportion. But the reason the left is acting in that manner, is because of its own great lack.

You seemed to want to understand why the GOP still gets some support, despite all of its failings. Well, I answered. The GOP at least has elements of sensibility... and a couple of core constituencies that are working very hard to try and reform the party and make it less of a shithole. As you frequently point out in your various attacks.. there is a lot of work left to be done.. and still plenty of heels and idiots.

But at least in the GOP there are groups actively working for reform even if we have accomplished less than we would have liked. The Dems have no such constituency. As far as I can tell, the entire left is certainly willing to let the current Dem status quo and core leadership continue on its merry path of idiocy, evil and corruption with barely a squeak. I certainly do not think that every leftist or Dem is an idiot, evil or corrupt.. but the leadership I certainly think is... and noone in the party who cares has the gonads to speak up. Its pretty similar to the state of the GOP in 2003~2007.

So you wonder why people associate with the GOP despite all the problems you point out... and that is why.

As far as Mitt Romney goes.. well, nothing Romney has done thus far has really shown him to be a terrible person, unlike Obama. No more terrible than your typical politician anyhow. Does that mean I think he would make a great President? Not particularly. Though I do think the general economic situation would see some relief. He also has a record of dealing with corruption, and possibly enough ego to not want to leave a legacy of federal corruption should he become President.

So, forced to decide between the two.. its an easy choice. I think every incumbent who has shown poor performance should be removed. If Mitt turned out to be as bad as some people think he will, then I absolutely hope that he would get booted out of office in 4 years as well. Mitt absolutely does not stand for much of what I do, but by the same token the Dems need to take a severe beating like the GOP did in 2008 so hopefully some sane voices will start to speak out.

That being said, as I have previously mentioned there is at least a 50% chance I will just vote 3rd party. Its a tough call.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)