I disagree. I think the fear of the UN using force against them keeps countries in check. Think about it, since the UN was implemented a third world war has been avoided. Sure, wars have still squeaked by, but except for I guess Vietnam, they haven't been to the obscene magnitude as the world wars (although I guess you could also attribute that to technological improvements that lead to reduced casualties... at least on our side :P)

And I don't think it's so much a question of what the UN has done for us... we're a pretty self-sufficient, highly-developed country. The problem is that without us backing the UN, the world would be in a shitty state. No one likes us because we go around sticking our nose where it doesn't belong (in the most recent case, without the UN's approval...) but honestly if it weren't for the UN, all those communists and dictators that go around ass-raping the third world way too often as it already is, would completely wreak havoc upon the people they so love to oppress and exploit.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]