I think by far one of the most important things a game needs is a reason to pvp, although it should also be ffa. By a reason to pvp, I don't mean a gear grind like WoW's honor system. I mean put in player cities, give these player cities benefits that will make the guild want to own the city for, and make those cities siegable. This will give your players more than enough reason to fight each other.

This can be done in different ways, Neocron's cities gave guild/faction players in that zone crafting or combat bonuses, so if you wanted to make the best weapons in the game and make sure you didn't fail while constructing it, and got the best stats on it possible, you needed to be a capped constructor, sitting inside your guild's "Factory" (city that gave + to construction).

Other games have cities that make harvesting resources far easier if not completely automated, so again, players are driven to own these cities, and eventually have to take over cities if they want one.

I guess that's another thing, control where cities can form and conflicts between players will naturally happen. Allow cities to pop up anywhere and your entire planet will be covered with cities as in SW:G just so players can avoid conflict.

You have to plant the seed for conflicts to happen between players, and let them make the choice as to whether they fight or not. Don't just set up a rival faction system, and tell the players that they say... hate orcs and have to kill any orc they see, without really giving them any justification to do so.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]