Originally Posted by Sini
I agree with Owain, I don't think "opening up insurance markets across state lines" would make difference. The system is not price conscious and is not driven by supply and demand.
I also intend for the consumer to have to purchase the product rather than your employer. Why in the world should employers be paying for people's health insurance? Does your employer offer to cover your homeowner's policy?

Originally Posted by Sini
Now tell me how this is market-rational system when not only consumers don't directly pay, but it is often impossible to find out prices.
Not being able to find the price is intentional. As is the fact that when you do get a price it won't be anywhere close to the "negotiated" price that insurance actually pays. It is a racket and the only solution is for us to have to feel the pain for the expense enough that the market is forced to compete for our dollars. The problem with that is, some people will die due to lack of care. If there was an easy solution we'd have it already, but I don't think that robbing Peter to pay for Paul's healthcare is the solution.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]