Originally Posted by Kaotic
Originally Posted by Sini
Also note I didn't say unlimited healthcare, rather I framed it in terms of access.

Can you define the limits of "access"?

Typically, countries where universal health care is practiced use some variation of "healthy years per $" metric. Similar approach should be used here. For example, I don't want to see multi-million dollar end-of-life treatments for seniors, but kidney transplant for a young adult might be reasonable ask. Personally, I want to see two-tier system - basic medicare-like system for everyone, then premium insurance or fee based medicine for people willing to pay.

In my conversations, I find that many people do not know that it is now, and has been since 1986, the law that no hospital can turn away a patient based on their citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay.

This is only for life-threatening conditions, only insofar as stabilizing the patient, and there is no "not going to bankrupt you" rider attached to this.

For example, if you are $40K/year construction "contractor" and happen to get seriously sick, you are all but guaranteed to get bankrupted. Your income stops, your medical bills pile up... I don't think this is acceptable outcome in a country as prosperous as USA.

[Linked Image]