KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Decon Black
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,988,697 Trump card
1,324,443 Picture Thread
474,043 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Revol Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member

If you're looking to pwn total noobs, are you going to need help? And if so, is the Saitek CYBORG Command Unit the help you need to achieve Uberd0m?

Last edited by Revol; 05/29/08 06:04 PM.

Former KGB Member
Revol Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
Welcome to the first installment of Revol's Revealing Reviews, where I, Revol, will reveal to you... reviews of.. things.

Eh, a'ight, here we go. Like many of you here, I'm playing Age of Conan. (I'll be reviewing the game very soon, too.) One aspect of the game I'm really loving is the combat. In a genre that is often times very stale, Funcom brought us something new to the table with directional attacks. For the uninitiated, combat in AoC is not automatic. You don't select an object, select an attack, and sit back while your character swings every second. In Conan, you execute every attack yourself, with three directions you can land your attacks at, and... hey, what am I doing? Let's save all this for the AoC review.

Look, what I'm getting at is that combat in Conan is complicated and involved. And while it's completely possible to be able to play with your keyboard, perhaps there is something better out there?

The Belkin Nostromo n52 - The competition

I've used something like the Saitek Command Unit before, the Belkin Nostromo. I believe I was using it while playing Dark Age of Camelot, and I enjoyed it. So, what am I doing, using the Saitek for AoC? Well...
  1. I lost the Nostromo
  2. Brick-and-mortar stores are selling the $70 Razor version, which doesn't seem to be any improvement over the original
  3. The original is on Newegg, but... I want it noooooow!
But most importantly, it simply doesn't seem like I'd have enough real estate on the device. I play a Conqueror, so as a melee, I already need 9 keys for movement and directional attacks. On the Nostromo, that leaves me with 5 more keys, and those are all going to be taken by my combos. That leaves me nothing for feats, abilities, stances, and so on. So, I tried the Saitek.

My set-up for Age of Conan

As you can see, the Saitek is pretty much perfect for my needs. My only issue here was that it seemed impossible to attempt to map movement to the joystick on the thumb. (It's the nub that is now used by sprint in the image.) I spent hours trying to get it to work, but it simply wouldn't take, and it left me very frustrated. But as the set-up is now, it looks like it would work very well.

But does it? Well, it takes getting used to. It's easy to begin playing the game for any gaming veteran, using a keyboard, because we've all been there before. And even though the Saitek still has a familiar set-up of keys in the center, it can still take getting used to. What was causing me the most difficulty were the combo keys on the left side. To hit key 12 (my most important combo, my defense debuff), my pinky can't reach up since I can't use the default WASD setting on this device. So, I have to take my hand off 'home' as it were, and move to the 12th key. But now, I'm completely lost. I've found myself stumbling to find the directional keys again, which can kill my combos.

All that could be fixed from fine-tuning my set-up, but there's one last issue that's preventing me from enjoying the Saitek, and that is the responsiveness of the keys.

To get a response out of a key, you need to press a bit too hard than necessary. If I let up on a key just a bit, I run the risk of losing the response. I've had a lot of instances where this happens, which causes weird shit to happen. For example, with movement keys, if I lose response from forward movement for just a moment, it causes the game to think I'm double-taping forward, which activates one of the evade movements. But worst of all is when I go to activate a combo, and it doesn't appear.

Due to this issue, I cannot recommend this device. I bought it from Best Buy, so I'm keeping the receipt, and will give it a few more weeks. Perhaps it just needs to get broken in. If this problem goes away, then I don't see anything else really holding it back. Sure, the profile editor is confusing, but I can work it out. It's a shame I can't get movement working on the stick, but maybe I can figure it out. But as it stands, I won't be recommending the Saitek CYBORG Command Unit.

Former KGB Member
Former Member
Former Member
cool feature. I was looking into input devices today. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with anything other than a keyboard, but keyboards are definitely not very well set up ergonmically for gaming.

When your King calls you to action, will you hear the call?

E
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
E
neat thing, i think the article would look a lot more mature without the leet speak though

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight

* mad evil laughter *

I have a Wacom Tablet ! I'll rule the world of Conan !

Wonder if I could put a finishing move of a big " D "
on my enemies chest. . . . . lol

mwa hahahahahahahah

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
hum...could use some more buttons, lol

KGB Crown Princess
KGB Crown Princess
Daye how the heck are you using your tablet??

Sometimes in the winds of change we find our true direction.
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Should have found your Nostromo.... got mine setup and love it... I am playing a Ranger though so I may not have the same issues with all the button etc...

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
I just ordered this!

USB Foot Controls

After all these years of gaming and working on a keyboard, I have the early signs of keyboard fatigue.

This is going to save me!

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Piano Pedals?

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard