Since I was one of the folks who proposed the change, and support it I'll speak up here a bit with at least my own rationale as I presented it to Jet.

First, is pointing out the actual purpose as well as limitations and bringing them to the front. That is, the High King always holds the final say. The Senate was never a truly independant or coequal branch, but treating it such I think gave the wrong impression and set wrong expectations. For right or wrong, the High King has the final say and personally I am fine with that. Some people may think the Senate or other body should have a larger official power, other may not. Either way, it is best in my view to be plain and clear. That being said, if much of the guild is in favor or against something, it is pretty rare where Jet doesn't listen, especially for the types of things a Senate or KHC would address. In practice, vast powers have also been delegated over the years to the HC and officials of a given faction, to operate very freely. Changes to Federal operations and possible projects requiring implementation were always things the High King was going to keep a say in.

Calling something and treating it for what it is, can only be sensible in my view. It sets the proper expectations, all to the better. Recognition of this goes back at least to Confucious and Mencius, and the Rectification of names.
"When Confucius was asked what he would do if he was a governor, he said he would "rectify the names" to make words correspond to reality. "

Second, is that the previous Senate iteration had unfortunately not been going well. Part of this was due to not having a structure or procedure in place I think. There were difficulties encountered with getting any operational structure set up. I'm not about to delve into any finger pointing on who, what, why. But it is simply a fact that things were not going as anyone hoped. Having talked with multiple participants, I can say that if nothing else - no one was particularly enjoying the experience, though I certainly cannot speak for all. Nor was it going anywhere productive. From my own personal perspective, poring over the proceedings was not enjoyable though I pretty much stayed out of it. At the very least, there was no consensus-building occurring. Maybe, had it been left to its own devices, this course would have self corrected. Maybe it instead would have gotten worse. We don't know. I can't say whether or not I would have paused proceedings or pulled the plug had I been in Jet and Romeo's shoes, but in any case it was done so the outstanding question was 'well what's next'

My suggestion was to simply remake it, call it for what it was, set the proper expectations and outline the basic procedures while leaving the door open in the future for more delegation should it be warranted. In my view, the KHC has accomplished this.

Is it perfect? Few things are. But hopefully the restart will produce better results. Maybe it wont. It depends on us really.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)