Originally Posted By: JetStar
I believe they were very autonomous even in the EU. The information I have read about the economic consequences seems legit. I don't think the populous did they research which resembles Trump supporters here in the US.

I don't think the breakup of the UK was what they had in mind. Time will tell, but it looks pretty grim in my opinion.

What you read (and I can guess because I have read most of what is out there on the issue, and there is little thematic difference )is about half-true by my estimation.

You are somewhat mistaken on the UK's level of autonomy, but it's not something you can really articulate as a one-liner and be honest about it. The EU has an enormous set of bureaucratic regulations, that cover everything from consumer items to maritime rights to workers law - and also a great deal more. The UK could legislate "within" the EU's regulations, but not supersede them.

You should really examine Greece as precedent, though Greece owed money to various banksters (much of which were bad loans originated by Goldman Sachs in corrupt inside political deals, using US Fed free money, then packaged and resold to EU banks in northern/central Europe) the EU played a large role in clamping down and holds them by the throat now.

As far as negative consequences, there will be some, particularly in the short term. Regarding the more doom and gloom predictions, well those are just "possibilities" that can, in theory at least, be easily avoided.

It is important to note that while the status quo was very beneficial for some, it was certainly not beneficial for all.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)