The KGB Oracle
DARKFALL OFFLINE SKILL GAIN

You can read about the new MEDITATION system for offline skill gain in DFO below:

LINK
I hope if this gets popular, that they will extend to all skills.

This would bring lots of people back to the game.
My only issue is the time it takes.

To go from 86.0 Withcraft to 100.0 Withcraft, requires about 13 days of offline time. If it would gain while I was online as well it'd be okay, but since I would have to give up 13 full days of play time to reach 100.0; it would still seem better to macro the spells.

Still, for those with limited play time; although it may be an extremely slow offline skill gain, it still gives them the chance to gain some skill points while logged off.
I agree there Romeo, but here is also the negativity from Meditating for leveling vs. macro'ing it:

Meditating not only forces you to go offline for said amount of time to achieve your end goal, but it also only achieves said goal to the school of magic. NOT THE SPELLS INVOLVED THAT YOU WOULD MACRO AS YOU LEVEL THE SCHOOL.
So by reaching 100 in let's say, Fire Magic, your Haste, Fireball, etc. would still need purchased (1.00 skill when purchased) & would still need leveled to be effective.
VERSUSES:
Macro'ing until you reached a spell, then macro'ing that spell for the skill gain in said spell, along with School Level raise as well.
Originally Posted By: Pickens Heretic
I agree there Romeo, but here is also the negativity from Meditating for leveling vs. macro'ing it:

Meditating not only forces you to go offline for said amount of time to achieve your end goal, but it also only achieves said goal to the school of magic. NOT THE SPELLS INVOLVED THAT YOU WOULD MACRO AS YOU LEVEL THE SCHOOL.
So by reaching 100 in let's say, Fire Magic, your Haste, Fireball, etc. would still need purchased (1.00 skill when purchased) & would still need leveled to be effective.
VERSUSES:
Macro'ing until you reached a spell, then macro'ing that spell for the skill gain in said spell, along with School Level raise as well.

Yep, another very good point.
What new character will have hundreds of thousands of gold to do this? Exactly.. Vets will continue, with stores of money, will do this to top off their schools all the while not being in game.

I guess what this does do is take so many people out of the game no one will be around to do much so it's easy farming for the noobies.

I dunno, another band-aid thrown at a sucking chest wound IMO.

Maybe it could work with better fore thought but as it stands now I just see people offline skilling and not actively playing and how can you pvp kill someone for loot/reagents/gear while they are offline?
Exactly Icky. It would be a "descent" thing to do I guess, if you were going away on Christmas Vacation or what have you ... but other than that, just macro.
There is also the idea that AV will eventually be the ones dealing their game a killing blow, as the reduction to server population due to offline skilling may in the end create a power core of players powerful enough to eradicate the few left actually playing, offline skilling will leave few people in the game, thus giving others few reasons to continue playing it, and while those that do will see a phenomenon where they are impossibly out classed and quit anyhow regardless of the server population.
Definately meant for the lower levels, say 1-50 ... I am using it now to raise my water school, so I can get the int buff mostly @ 70.

This gives the opportunity to raise something else (spells) while I am active in game, not a bad thing.
Just an FYI: .. for 2k, overnight 10-12 hours I suppose, I went from 28 to 32 water .. so ~500 gold per pont at lower levels & I had 3 points left when I logged in (so -1 hour for server down).
Originally Posted By: Romeo_Montague
My only issue is the time it takes.

To go from 86.0 Withcraft to 100.0 Withcraft, requires about 13 days of offline time. If it would gain while I was online as well it'd be okay, but since I would have to give up 13 full days of play time to reach 100.0; it would still seem better to macro the spells.

Still, for those with limited play time; although it may be an extremely slow offline skill gain, it still gives them the chance to gain some skill points while logged off.

That is a bit long & if you are online it doesn't train!!!??? That seems to be a dumb thing for the devs to do. Wow, they did do it "Meditation will also pause when you log in the game and resume when you log back out." oh man, the off line training could have made some come back, but never mind that.
took them long enough...
Silly players.

Its not about you, and your skill gain ratio for in-game macro vs. offline skill gain.

Its about account subscriptions and trying to retain and regain as many as possible in the time that Darkfall has left. See this way you could be playing oh I don't know maybe WoW Cata, while skill gaining offline in DFO.

The point being, AV needs the monthly subs. There is no chance of a disk re-release for an expansion or any type of future unit sales boon in AV's future. All they have left is the monthly sub cycles to pay the bills.
this just in: still no reason to play Grindfall :P
Now they need to make the UI better & put more in that huge empty world. Or maybe redo the city system & make them buildable anywhere like in Shadowbane. Oh & still speed up training,
Originally Posted By: Salohcin Dragon
Now they need to make the UI better & put more in that huge empty world. Or maybe redo the city system & make them buildable anywhere like in Shadowbane. Oh & still speed up training,

This is one of the main reasons I quit DF.
The amount of time it took to level was hurting my brain, and the fact that city building was where they placed the city.
The promised freedom of the game got me to buy it and the lack of freedom got me out.
The world is to small, I did like the vast openness of the game.
To me there is two main reason to KGBers left DFO but one of them they will not admit.

First is the "grind", to give you an exemple, how blame someone for not playing DFO, when to be competitive you need to leave you PC turned on for countless hours of afk swimming, or hours of boring gathering(stones,trees).

Second is they suck hard to the MMO+FPS style(its not that point and click type game) and they will tell you that they are amazing FPS players :P, to be succefful in DFO you need to master solo and group skills, and when we get rolfstomped over and over again, we tend to give other excuses and blame some bad aspect of the game, instead of overcome and try to be better.
Originally Posted By: Mithus
To me there is two main reason to KGBers left DFO but one of them they will not admit.

First is the "grind", to give you an exemple, how blame someone for not playing DFO, when to be competitive you need to leave you PC turned on for countless hours of afk swimming, or hours of boring gathering(stones,trees).

Second is they suck hard to the MMO+FPS style(its not that point and click type game) and they will tell you that they are amazing FPS players :P, to be succefful in DFO you need to master solo and group skills, and when we get rolfstomped over and over again, we tend to give other excuses and blame some bad aspect of the game, instead of overcome and try to be better.

You are absolutely correct!
Originally Posted By: Wolfgang
Originally Posted By: Mithus

You are absolutely correct!

i completely disaggree with you on this quote i quit because of the game mechanic i belive they sucked and completely needs to be revised. also time is the new zone was also gay since the time to have people help that realy happen either these are some of the reason why i left other people might have different reason but this is why i left for the 2nd time in a row
I agree with you there to a degree Mithus. The "grind" is one reason I left, but I only took a 2-3 month break and expected to hardcore grind when I returned. And I did.

My only issue with people that left Darkfall is this, in a nutshell:

1. If you left due to the "grind" ... I understand.
2. Explaining that's why you left ... Thank you. So at least we know.
3. Talking down on the people in KGB whom continue to play DFO, regardless of the "grind" ... unsatisfactory.
4. Any other reasons you left (i.e. money got tight, family issues, work getting busy, etc.), understandable.

But again, if you quit the game, don't talk shit to the others whom obviously still enjoy it. Negativity within the Clan towards other Clanmates that are still having fun is demoralizing & does not need to happen, nor needs to be tolerated.
Simply put, if you don't enjoy a game, personally, don't play it & explain your reasons, but there is no need to harp on others whom still play just because you don't get satisfaction from it anymore. It's pointless & you will eventually not be looked at too nicely by the others you've unwillingly spoke down upon.

*steps off his soapbox*

Thank you for your time & patience.
I agree with you there to a degree Mithus. The "grind" is one reason I left, but I only took a 2-3 month break and expected to hardcore grind when I returned. And I did.

3. Talking down on the people in KGB whom continue to play DFO, regardless of the "grind" ... unsatisfactory.
4. Any other reasons you left (i.e. money got tight, family issues, work getting busy, etc.), understandable.

But again, if you quit the game, don't talk shit to the others whom obviously still enjoy it. Negativity within the Clan towards other Clanmates that are still having fun is demoralizing & does not need to happen, nor needs to be tolerated.
Simply put, if you don't enjoy a game, personally, don't play it & explain your reasons, but there is no need to harp on others whom still play just because you don't get satisfaction from it anymore. It's pointless & you will eventually not be looked at too nicely by the others you've unwillingly spoke down upon.

*steps off his soapbox*

I agree !!

I really wish those of you who dont play just keep it to yourself because there is still some of us that really like the game and will be here until KGB moves out of it and onto something else.
Originally Posted By: Prism

*steps off his soapbox*

I agree !!

I really wish those of you who dont play just keep it to yourself because there is still some of us that really like the game and will be here until KGB moves out of it and onto something else.

Really???? You expect us KGB to keep quiet about anything some one post about???

May as well tell all the dogs in the world to stop sniffin asses .
[/quote]

Really???? You expect us KGB to keep quiet about anything some one post about???

May as well tell all the dogs in the world to stop sniffin asses .[/quote]

No, I expect the shit talking regarding people still playing to stop. If you don't like it, that's fine. I've played DDO & LOTRO ... but I don't basically harass those playing those games due to my feelings on those games. I've said why I left them & pretty much left it at that.
Every once in a while, I would pick on Grizo about DDO, but I really didn't take it further than that.
Just to clarify, its not DFO that is bad, its AV that is the problem. Considering the large amount of personal money I gave AV over the course of nearly 2 years, I will continue to point out what a shitty job they do and what a travesty DFO has become.

In addition to that, let me add that I don't attack or put down people who play DFO. I bust Jet's balls and that is about it, and even that is tongue in cheek. To expand even more on this issue, you (the KGB Oracle) only sees about 1/10th of my issues with DFO game dynamics. I still work behind the scenes with some of the AV Dev team to try and help them identify what the short and long term issues that need to be addressed in order to give DFO any type of hope of lasting more then the next 6 months.

The facts are the facts. AV is broke, Tasos is a fucking meglo-maniac douche bag, who could give two shits about YOU the player. If AV doesn't do something soon to retain its subscription base, there won't be a DFO to play. That is exactly what my previous post identified, addressed, and analyzed.

Let me further add, that even though I don't have an active account anymore in KGB, and haven't for the last probably 6 months, I still give countless hours of effort to secure KGB's place in what is left of DFO politics, and keep the KGB brand as solid as possible by driving out douche bags, liars, and spies.
[/quote]

May as well tell all the dogs in the world to stop sniffin asses .

No, I expect the shit talking regarding people still playing to stop. If you don't like it, that's fine. I've played DDO & LOTRO ... but I don't basically harass those playing those games due to my feelings on those games. I've said why I left them & pretty much left it at that.
Every once in a while, I would pick on Grizo about DDO, but I really didn't take it further than that. [/quote]

Who is shit talking?????????

A post was made and people reply.

This is not the DF forums so its open game not to mention public. It would be different if some one jumps into a DF forum and starts shit talking the game.

The game I am currently playing gets trash talked all the time and I could care less.
Originally Posted By: Helemoto

This is not the DF forums so its open game not to mention public. It would be different if some one jumps into a DF forum and starts shit talking the game.

The game I am currently playing gets trash talked all the time and I could care less.

Well to everyone involved in this thread the point here Hele makes is good. Those of us not playing in DF also got locked out of many of the DFO sub-forums for what was "shit talking" back a few months.

I don't see those threads, I'm not involved in those threads so of course I cannot comment but honestly do we need some thicker skin here? Are we getting a bit hurt about shit talking a game you all like and we don't? Come on, this is KGB, shit talking is a pre-requisite and if this hurts feelings I'm sorry but I have more to worry about than me talking bad about a game and walking on egg-shells for peoples feels who don't' wanna shit talk it.

Really?
Also one last point..

No where, no time have I heard of bad "shit talking" about a person, persons or people who play DFO.

We may not like the game, critisise it heavily but it's a game and it's open for that type of remarks.

Now if were to come in and say Pickens is an asshat and nutcupper for playing it then yes, that is wrong. KGB members before games.

Again, maybe it's me (and I'm sure it is) but not once have I see people put down other people for playing it outright. Sure there is some "ribbing" but it's not like I would NOT talk to anyone who plays DFO even if I feel it's not my liking..

I mean Prism is one fucking hell of a guy and I wouldn't care if he was playing PoopShoot Online I would still respect him as KGB member and of course ask him WTF he was doing but other than that, he's a mate, a member, a brother. Respect it.
I will say this, none of those that are jumping on what I've stated any of the people that it was directed to. So don't take offense. The person or persons it's directed to have either not read up since I posted it, or have done as asked & silenced on it.

I agree with the both of you on just saying "this is why I left & these are my reasons behind my decision" ... and there's no ill will or misinterpretations behind that.

I made this a public thread intentionally. The words that not only am I tired of hearing comes through the oracle in both public & non-public areas, as well as comes through Ventrillo.
It is posted here, because we are all "supposed to be" on the oracle at least often enough to know what's going on.
I will say this, none of those that are jumping on what I've stated any of the people that it was directed to. So don't take offense. The person or persons it's directed to have either not read up since I posted it, or have done as asked & silenced on it.

I agree with the both of you on just saying "this is why I left & these are my reasons behind my decision" ... and there's no ill will or misinterpretations behind that.

I made this a public thread intentionally. The words that not only am I tired of hearing comes through the oracle in both public & non-public areas, as well as comes through Ventrillo.
It is posted here, because we are all "supposed to be" on the oracle at least often enough to know what's going on.

Well stated my friend and we do understand..

KGB > Any game past, present or future.
Originally Posted By: Longshanks
Just an FYI: .. for 2k, overnight 10-12 hours I suppose, I went from 28 to 32 water .. so ~500 gold per pont at lower levels & I had 3 points left when I logged in (so -1 hour for server down).

Actually something to ask here..

As you skill up in game it's a crap shoot if a cast spell or swung sword will get you a net gain. Is the offline that too or is it a fixed curve?

In other words is there variability to the offline skill ups like playing or for 20h you know your going to get X amount of skill points?

Cheers,
Thank you Icky. I knew you'd understand, as well as Helemoto, & pretty much anyone else not directly involved.
It seems like there is a curve, the laest update shows # days to the prime levels (25\50\75\100) ... but like most of the formulas in DFO, someone is going to have to try to figure it out (not me). I have various schools at various stages & it does scale up dramtically. It is like 3 days from 30ish-50 ... like 7 from 93-100 according to my journal.

And Tas ... it does seem like AV is moving in the right direction, from a development standpoint, they are embracing SCRUM & have delivered 2 smaller patch in a reasonable time frame, a sprint or 2 (depending on the sprint length).

I am not a huge proponent of SCRUM, but in certain situations ... like adding features on regular schedule ... it does work well. From scratch design & development is where SCUM fails, in my opinion.
All Knights have a opinion and the Oracle is the place for it, Jet uses the Oracle as a measure on the guilds over all state of mind, the facts as they stand regardless of game is that you may not like what people say but you should respect the fact that they are expressing their opinion because they respect yours, people would be hypocrites if they expected everyone to NOT express their opinions yet listen to yours.

As far as DFO goes I may dislike the game, but I don't dislike the people who are playing it, so getting bent about my personal feelings about DFO and defending the game is a waste of your time because all that matters is the Knights assembled here, not the damned game, the game is only a vehicle for socializing. You like DFO, I don't but that doesn't mean only your opinions are the ones that matter.
Bottom line is the game was a great concept. it had what we wanted and didnt have what we needed. Av failed to finish it and bring the game to life. Oh well maybe in the next 5-7yrs we will get a new game with a similar concept until then u guys find something to occupy your time.
Darkfall' gave us countless hours of enjoyment and headache.
From the lack of shit mmos hitting the market these days they did more than a average job as far as im concerned.

P.s. If you still enjoy playing the game i have no problem with that alot of people are just hitting thier stride on the game due to the long grind. Those who have left move on no need to bother the guys playing dfo with negativeness..
© The KGB Oracle