KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Shock
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,033,382 Trump card
1,342,021 Picture Thread
480,046 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Syloc #43090 04/22/09 09:37 PM
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
yep, I need tons of practice and I am finally over the greater magic grind.. so I am down for sparring in Khosgar if you see me hanging out.

[Linked Image]
Syloc #43140 04/23/09 11:29 AM
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
I am going to avoid putting up another wall of text.

The west side of Khosgar could be a great place for 1v1 2v2 3v3 or whatever.

One of the first things I say before our group goes into a fight is your number one job is staying alive. Let me elaborate. Many times players get strung out from the core group and once separated are susceptible to ganging by the enemy. It's important to stay "near" the pack and avoid this. If you start taking more damage or have multiple enemies on you - your first response is to PARRY not turning your back. Do make short runs around objects to create Line of Sight problems for your attacker while you are moving back to the group.

Another element of battle that we all need to work on is our battlefield awareness. We often speak of this and it is important to know what is going on around you. Eyes open scan players around you, look for low enemies and mounts. One tip for this is to maximize the size of your minimap so you know where your group/clan members are with a glance.

Talk often in vent in fights about enemies etc not your parakeet's pile of doodoo looking like the UO logo.

After the fight talk about the fun stuff and discuss what you did that worked or didn't work. DO NOT epene because you died or lost a mount or thought you should have logged off to watch Gilligan's Island instead of pvping. It's counter productive to bitch and bitch and bitch in vent it makes you look like a bitch.

I have started chatting a bit with group members about fighting tactics and what I could have done better (notice my comment - I am seeking input on what THEY think I could have done better - my purpose is to get constructive criticism to improve my skills period - if they ask me I will give them feedback as well).

Before you go into battle be prepared to fight to the death for the sake of the fun of the fight. If you are worried about your gear or grass pixels you are already half defeated - the outcome of every fight I go into is they die or I die. If I am not fully committed to fighting to the death and they are I will lose more often than I win.

In the last couple of days I have looted 5-6 full suits of armor and 4 or more mounts from 2v2 3v3 2v4 that I won.

One last thing is City Defense - if someone calls for help EVERYONE who can should run out and get involved, seriously we have had some great fights lately from this, the 2 v4 that Darka and I got into with 4 fully geared enemies was extremely fun expecially when we both looted 2 dead enemies.

Ryu and Ken were trying to farm birds yesterday when they got caught with low stam by a couple of enemies, I was naked headed out to gather and decided to grab a mount, sword and board and run out to see if I could help with runners. I got there just after Ryu was taken down and Ken was fighting 2. I killed one and jumped the 2nd with Ken. We easily killed the 2nd and neither lost any gear - but without any stam or help Ken would not have lasted against the 2 enemies. If I had just ignored them and ran out to the herb bushes they would both have died without any help.

Don't put blinders on when you are in town we are getting some good fights and experience we can use later by responding to pleas for help.

/fuck wall of text - sorry

Hare #43149 04/23/09 12:03 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Wait just a god damn minute here Hare. How is my parakeet's shit not relevant to pvp? It just so happens that after a tremendous amount of time studying the poop, I had a dream that revealed a archer/dagger combo that is unstoppable.

UO SP: AurelianoBuendia
UO Pac: Magus, Running Fool
DF: Arjuna
Aureliano #43155 04/23/09 12:31 PM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
Combat is about staying alive, Hare is 100% right; however in my experience the first thing you've got to realize is your weaknesses and strengths. Running away when your low on stam is NOT cowardly, it's a tactic, and even though you may see other gankers that don't fight when they're outnumbered and it may seem cowardly to you, it probably isn't.

Although I would agree we should ALWAYS respond to gankers if close to the city, I would hesitate to rely on this to get better in pvp; because, lets face it, your just responding to gankers that are in enemy territory and most of the time you have the advantage of numbers.

Dunlop and Hare have been organizating groups for raiding (and since i'm PST I can never get in them unfortunatly) and I think that does 10x more for your skill in combat than waiting for gankers ever will. You have to take the initative, and realize that gear, while cool, isn't the name of the game.

Yesterday, Arjuna and I were dukeing it out - and while we didn't actually gain any gold or gear, I would able to work on my aim alittle, get a little bit used to the jump shot, and then get raped by Runo's Run and Gun Magic Missle a little.

Be PROACTIVE, not reactive. Waiting for pvp is the best way to NOT get good at pvp. Go with Hare and Dunlop the next time they go out, or join us in duels during the evenings in 1v1s or 2v2s when I'm asking in vent, or hell, even go out by yourself.

In UO, KGB used to train and have scrimmages versus veterans and new guys, being proactive about their battle skills rather than just fighting random newbs, so they could win against the best not the worst. (At least that's what i've read and what people have told me)

There's no reason it can't work in DFO too.

Last edited by Syloc; 04/23/09 12:31 PM.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #43162 04/23/09 12:46 PM
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Syloc - I think you are making a point about a tactical retreat from battle. You are 100% correct here but that is not my point in saying be prepared to fight to the death.

We don't necessarily want to fight to the death but I am invoking the spirit of the fight. If you go in without the full commitment to winning the fight or losing everything you are wearing it lessen your chance of winning the fight. The leaders talk about this all the time and its a reality.

Thank you for pointing out the value of a tactical retreat and the focus of my post.

Hare #43176 04/23/09 01:53 PM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
You know something that's been nagging around in my head is something that I saw SN do a couple of nights ago, and that is, concentrate focus fire on targets that overextend past their line, i.e. a 2h user who's hitting on a person that's parrying.

I think my thought process at this point, is to develop an easy and effective way to introduce people into pvp combat without having to force them to lose sets upon sets of armor, not out of some sort of attachment I have to armor, just the inefficency of that process.

My going theory, at least at this point, is if we can train/develop people to be good at 1v1,2v2, etc etc and different situtations, (1v2, 2v3, etc) the transition into group play will be that much more effective.

So far, nothing teaches you more about staying alive than doing a 1v1 or 1v2. Little tricks like memorizing the key strokes that allows me to hit mana to stam then switch back to my bow within 2-3 seconds, has saved me more than once.

At the very least, practicing archery aim versus real targets, can be achieved through this method.

Hare, I'm preety sure we're talking about the same focal points of combat - and at this point it's more about execution and practice rather than theory.

Thanks for clarifying. Thoughts are abound! It's about time we got everyone on the same page.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #43241 04/24/09 09:11 AM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Best way to learn pvp is to go out on offensives, heed the call for defensives, and spar. Do all of them.

I don't agree there's never a good time for retreat. Sometimes you should not retreat; other times you'd be dumb not to. Often times what you need to do is simply mount up to regroup, or change the terrain. If a 10v10 turns into a 2v8, mount up and save what you've got for the next fight. It's dumb to just stand there and die.

This happened to a group I was in about a week ago I think. We were fighting Serenity Now (that time when Ky Ky hit Darka like 9 times in 3 seconds with a bow while he was mounted at extreme range lol). It started as 10 KGB vs 8 SN or something like that. I was the only guy left because when the fight turned into 2 v ~6 and we were split by a screen, I mounted and barely got away. I used that mount and armor in the next fight.

I have only ever looted a geared dude in PvP 1 time, so all my gear and mounts are self farmed. ~ 3 hours of farming per go bag. When the battle is going south, I'd rather save 3 hours of farming. So while I think some people are looting full sets of gear and don't really need to farm much, others of us are farming quite often to keep it up, which is the reason I'd rather stay alive if the fight goes south pretty bad. This is mainly for armor, mounts, and arrows.

KGB needs some kind of gear reimbursement program for official pvp [not responces to pks]. This really helps get more people involved and aggressive. It worked really well in EVE. Or hell even just a mount reimbursement plan would be insanely awesome. Of course to do this we would need everyone to donate all server up steedgrass to the clan bank. lol Probably not going to happen.

nethervoid #43244 04/24/09 09:21 AM
Band 7
Band 7
Quote:
KGB needs some kind of gear reimbursement program for official pvp [not responces to pks]. This really helps get more people involved and aggressive.

This is in the works, but is really hard to iron out. Tasho and I were brainstorming last night about this very thing.

One thing I can say...I'vee reimbursing players in MY groups gear if gear is looted (ask Fraq) to the best of my ability. I've also been master looting gear in PVP when it can be safely done to hand it out to party members and stock pile some in the clan bank for reimbursment.

Believe me..I want the PVPers out PVPing. No questions about that. I'm trying to do everything in my ability to make this possible so the guys who want to PVP can without having to spend hours farming. To DO this, we need a guild wide effort in stockpiling GOOD armor in the clan bank. When a backlog of armor is created, the PVP groups should be self sufficient in supplying thier own gear and hopefully mounts.

The bottom line is..there is no clear cut way to accomplish any of this without taxation of SOME sort....so we're trying to get it done by volunteerism alone right now.

I personally farmed for two days straight to supply Revco and Cith with thier introductory Champion sets that are crafted plate enchanted weapons food resin, etc. (Kay and Hare farmed alot as well. Hare supplied the weapons by himself). So ya...my point is: I'm doing all I can do keep everyone geared. At some point, people have to step up and help us out. No one, leadership or otherwise, can do it all alone.

Former KGB Member
Dunlop_Phaete #43247 04/24/09 09:37 AM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
I agree it's not an easy thing in this game to work out (reimbursement program). Not bitching or pointing fingers. All of you command types do a really good job leading and trying to make it fair and fun for everyone. Not an easy job.

One way to make the reimbursement program easier to maintain is to set a lower gear standard. Say full banded or something. Players can bring better if they have it (or if we can pass it out), but should only ever expect banded reimbursements. Banded is pretty easy to keep a stockpile of, especially if we do a couple more of those iron farm groups. We get like 1000 ore in an hour or two. That's a lot of armor.

nethervoid #43287 04/24/09 01:57 PM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
A gear reimbursement program might be a hard sell, especially considering how long it takes and/or what sets you are looking for.

I think, if this were ever going to work, we'd have to run black knight farming groups rather than farming the gear ourselves. Even with 100 in mining, getting the iron for plate isn't something to scoff at.

Everyone, to some extent, should be able to farm their own gear ... or at the very least, go out in chain or bone knight armor. (Which I do sometimes, works wonders)

Former KGB Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard