KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 50 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,034,252 Trump card
1,342,149 Picture Thread
480,195 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#43007 04/21/09 05:35 PM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
Here's the Updated Master list for those interested:

Nethervoid
Arkh
Arjuna (Aureliano)
Taco Salad (rhaikh)
Syloc
John Xao

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING! Duck!

A couple months into Darkfall, and I've got to say, I’m having a blast; however the logistics of practicing, getting better, and mastering pvp has, to be frank, become a hard aspect to participate in. Not everyone logs on at the same time, others have less play time than others, and almost everyone is so poor, they can't afford to throw away those 300 arrows or that plate set just to have some good action. There are some, like me, that don't log on when the majority of KGB logs on, so I'm really left by the wayside during the weekdays, even though I log on a lot of hours. My initial experiment of going out every other day to gank dutchy was a bust. You just lose too much biting off more than you can chew, chasing dutchy for hours and, to be frank, there're aspects of my game that frankly suck. (My 1h vs 2hers)

Thusly, I propose what will, not doubt, be the first of many of my idiotic ideas KGB has to endure ... Fight Club.

The premise: a list on the oracle forums of people interested in doing spontaneous 1v1s or 2v2s.

So if, for instance, nothing's going on and I don't feel like farming mobs, but I don't want to risk my last plate set pvping alone in Dutchy, I can look on the list, and do 1v1s or 2v2s. Your first pvp experience shouldn’t have to be facing a full group of SN, waiting around for hours for a siege, or getting naked ganked at our own bank – instead, it should be of your own choosing.

The objective is simple; get people thinking about how they play, because, to be frank, this isn't a turret game - it DOES take a little bit of "fps" skill to be better at this game.

Where this has worked: Although this may not apply to darkfall, because this is an MMO, but this has worked in my FPS clans of the past. If someone, say a member in one of my Quake Clans, can’t bunny hop properly; I’d jump into a server with him, talk him through the motions, and see how it works. In my ETQW clan, some of our newer members’ aim just wasn’t up to par to compete at the highest level, so we would do 3 v 3s with just guns, giving them tips, or seeing if we could do better. The rules would be simple; check your ego at the door, and the objective isn’t to show how much better you are, but get everyone as good as the best player.

I never tried this in Shadowbane because, to be frank, all we needed to know was how to type /tar [first three letters of the name] and you learned focus fire – even after they took out target, it was preety cut and dry, hit nearest target and fire, so even that was simple.

In Darkfall, there’s a simple list of things I need to work on – 1v1ing versus archers at medium range, 1v1ing versus 2h swords with my 1h sword (if it’s possible), kiting plate players, and do the 180 jump shot I’ve seen players do. There’s buttloads more than can be experimented on, and the skys the limit. As always, this wouldn’t be an all the time thing, and this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. 90% of the time, we’ll be doing farming groups, doing pvp raids and sieges.

However, if your like me, have your skills up high enough that you don’t have to hardcore grind anymore; and want to improve your own pvp skills without having to risk 2 hours of farming each time, then this is a good idea.

Overall, I think the best thing about this is that it opens up people talking about pvp, how to get better, and experimenting and helping those that think they suck in pvp, to actually get better. This is a new game, and even though you think you’re a pve player, your probably better than you think.

I don’t know if I’m alone here, but if this sounds like a good idea, go ahead and you’re your thoughts below. This could be a dumb idea, and if it is, just say so … but, in my experience, it was those clans that went the extra mile, and tried new things that no one was doing … that had the most success.

This should never have been a formal thing, but I just don't know who'd be interested in this kind of thing, hell, maybe later, we could hold a real tourney, and people would be prepared.

-Syloc deKGB.

P.S. The first rule of fight club is to talk about fight club! keke

Last edited by Syloc; 04/24/09 03:39 PM.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #43010 04/21/09 06:11 PM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Sounds good to me. I haven't played a lot of FPS games, so my twitch skills are pretty horrible. That and I need more time actually fighting, so my actions become more instictual.

nethervoid #43028 04/21/09 09:21 PM
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
Count me in. I need to practise using my new spells and staying buffed during a whole fight.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Arkh #43030 04/21/09 09:39 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
This is absolutely the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

J/K

I like it and I'm in. I definitely need to learn how to pvp archers...mages...people with shields...pretty much everyone.

UO SP: AurelianoBuendia
UO Pac: Magus, Running Fool
DF: Arjuna
Aureliano #43036 04/22/09 04:01 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
There is no such thing as a bad idea, however I feel that the Champion program was implimented with the same spirit, and that all one really need do is go into chan and gather up those looking for a fight. While my connection is bad at this time, I still was in game last night with nothing but a leaf blade, and I heard the call to run down two interlopers. I ran out and answered that call when there were many in town who just stood there, granted many were probably afk macroing, however my point is that all one needs do is find where the fight is and join it. I put hits down with my leaf blade, end of story

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Drakiis #43043 04/22/09 07:04 AM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
I feel that responding to gankers will NOT help you in real pvp, because half the time, your not getting a square up fight and/or they just run you to death. But, when you face people in the field during a siege, or versus an organized group, people are wearing full plate or banded, and they stop and fight. Not to mention, we don't get that many gankers that actually want to fight, most of the time they just run away. I feel it's being more proactive than reactive, by setting up 1v1s.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #43046 04/22/09 07:45 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I see your point, sure it can't hurt, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Drakiis #43057 04/22/09 10:49 AM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
I was never the type to do Scenarioes before level 40 in WAR, and even in DAOC, i'd rather grind my way up to the top level rather than waste my times in bgs; but there's something about Darkfall that's different.

I've seen certain players take on 2v1 and win every time, or some jackass that would do the jump-shot thing and hit every time. Conversely, i've seen people fail at the jump-shot thing; run around like their head cut off, and run when they should of stood and fight.

And there's no substitute for real game experience, hitting moving targets is different than hitting a mob that, most of the time, runs in straight lines, at least imho.

That, and I don't get excited by PVE, so I need to fill my mind with something worthwhile. In shadowbane, it was creating spec groups and finding templates, in Darkfall, I'm still lookin ghehe.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #43058 04/22/09 11:19 AM
Band 7
Band 7
I don't have a ton of time to elaborate but the 1h w/ shield vs 2h made me think about something I'd like to drill into people...

Darkfall is a game of attrition. It is NOT a rush, do as much dmg as you can game. You MUST ave patience to be any good at PVP in DFO.

For instance: I win almost every 2v1 I get into in open field because they come at me hard and fast. Parry is incredibly overpowered. I can make them do almost NO dmg to me while they waste their stamina swinging at me. I also have good twitch reflexes so I hit 2h people right after I parry them since 1h weapons swing fast. I have high elemental skills as well as decent archery skills. I have alot of weapons at my disposal..but MOST of all, I PVP ALOT do I know what to do in different situations. I lost ALOT of gear learning these hard lessons, and some of you will too, but it's just pixels.

Go out, follow orders, loose sometimes, win sometimes, and you get better.

Patience is a virtue. Win DFO by using attrition to you advantage.

Former KGB Member
Dunlop_Phaete #43068 04/22/09 01:44 PM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
I'd totally agree with your assessment, because, rushing without any thought into it, just won't win the war; simply because of the fact EVERYONE is kiting/baiting you in this game.

Especially those who think just because groups run away and don't engage unless they have numbers; that doesn't make them cowards, that makes them smart. Why rush when you know the enemy will chase and lose their stam?

Especially in 1v1s, there's simple things that can improve your game ...

for instance, you should be popping mana to stam at every spare moment you have, cause it only takes a couple seconds to switch to your staff, pop mana to stam, then back to your weapon - even if you're not low on stam

or

keeping two mounts when pvping (if you can afford it) etc etc etc

The list of tips goes on and on and better told to a person than read.

Like Dunlop I have lost ALOT of armor, all of which i personally farmed for, learning these mistakes, and i've realized a lot of this can just be done in 1v1s, 2v2s etc ... without having to go through the painful experience of losing just days of armor over and over like I have done.

Last edited by Syloc; 04/22/09 02:36 PM.

Former KGB Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard