Originally Posted By: sinij
Quote:
They may not have had enough power to run something other than simply appliances, but as primitive as those small wind mills were it's hard to believe we can't find someone that can build a bigger one that's efficient.

I will take "What is Renewable Energy initiative, infrastructure upgrades and windmill farms for $200".

Are you saying you can get a windmill for $200? I'm calling bullshit on that! I have a friend that tried to get combined solar panels & a wind turbine so he could get off the grid. The cost was going to be over $25,000 and it was only going to be able to supply 1/3 of his power needs.

If he was willing to get his family to only watch one TV and barely have any other appliances running, then he could get by with it. The people I was talking about on the show "doomsday Preppers" used little energy. They didn't need a whole lot of electrical output, plus it was only 2 people compared to my friends family of 4. The cost of solar & wind outweighs the output. More research & development could change this in a few years. To keep denying the fact that we are still heavy consumers of oil and that we can simply stop cold turkey is very naive, and EVERYONE will pay for it one way or the other.

It's in our best interest to use what we have while being more aggressive towards making other energy supplies more cost efficient!