I've been through 2 to 4 strikes as a salary employee over my 14 years with one of the largest automotive parts supplier to the industry and world and let me tell you the automotive unions are one vicious bunch so far as mobbing me in my car while trying to get into the lot one day and luckily if it weren't for a bunch of guys I know real well on the lines I'm sure something would have become of me or at least my possessions.

Another time I couldn't even enter the lot because they had blocked the other 3 entrances and the sole entrance was literally covered in about 4-6" of broken glass. We were instructed to return home with full pay for the 3-5 days that one lasted but ultimately the ignorance and attitudes of those unions were broke which lead to some of the biggest fallout we've seen in the automotive industry since Chrysler back in the day.

While in theory and if executed correctly Unions can and do provide a purpose however as stated earlier Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I knew guys who were pulling in 120k+ a year in overtime and benefits for not doing much. Each day I had to worry about my job, being an outsourced commodity in IT, I swiped into the gates each day while these guys would open sleep, refuse to do work and even, yes, get caught having sex (2 guys) in a supervisor's office all the while being protected to the max. When I had time and these proceedings were going on I asked those same buddies on the line, some young as I was and others as old as my father, what they felt about unions and this union in particular it was stated that they know those they elect are not there for them but for themselves and it's a shame they all must unite over things a majority of them did not agree with because the leadership put it through.

Again, in theory and if run correctly without power and greed fueling them they are great aspects that have done many good (my father, family, et all) however many today have become bloated, over ignorant cesspools of greed and power that ultimately; corrupt.

That's all I'll have to say on many of these threads lately because while I don't mind to debate or even give my own opinions it's getting quite thick in here and a bit abrasive to the point I'll follow my fatherly taught mantra of 'never go into business with family nor talk about politics or religion' since regardless of who you think your discussing things with someone, somewhere is not going to agree and it just causes drama that doesn't need to be there.

Cheers,
~Icky

Last edited by Ictinike; 10/07/11 09:52 PM.