Originally Posted By: Ictinike
Romeo,

When does it stop though? I mean, there will always be people in need around the world. We can't stop that, they can't stop that.

The time is nearing where self sufficiency will prevail and if we don't have our own in order we'll be forced into someone else's way of living. Seriously.

Again, no thanks. I'm not happy they suffer nor did I ask for this to happen so don't pull the `suffer card` on me. I have plenty near me who `suffer` daily yet seem to always have a hard time getting government assistance; even if they don't really want it, but will because it's the right thing to do for their family.

I'm talking moral backbone here. I may be old school but there was a time in our country where you took care of your own. You came together to get things done whether it was plowing the fields, building a home or just relaxing on the front porch drinking sweet tea. Yes, sure those all sound a bit `corney` now to some of you younger members but we've lost touch with our fellow man. Not man as someone in another country who is in need but rather the fellow man next door.

I'm sure each of you could find 5, 10 maybe 20 people who could really use a break. Have it be a free meal or maybe a ride because they've no car to drive themselves. It's the simple things that bring us together and the current trend is to rally upon something massive to show your `one of the ones` who helped. Why does suffering, hunger and disasters around the world unite those of these United States of America while pat yourselves on the back for `doing the right thing` just as you shuffle past some homeless guy you don't even acknowledge?

Me? I donate regularly. To what you may ask? Local (county and tri-county) food banks, upon checkout purchased a families groceries for them a few times and most recently several hundred dollars to a little girl who has heart complications.

Sure, maybe it's not the `in` thing to do and I am so saddened by the loss of both life and civil stability but again how can I honestly, deep down, help others while I know those closer/closest to me are suffering; not from a natural disaster but from the unkind, unclean souls of those "fellow Americans" who just ignore.

Sorry. You've dug up some emotion in this old, black heart of mine (as some would call it) but then again I'm not one for the glorious `look at me attitude`. I'll donate, when and to whom I favor, without wearing a pin or bracelet or button; because I believe in first myself and second my moral fiber.

Thank you,

Richard

"Itchy" you are now my hero, for whatever reasons, and no matter how hard I try not to be I have been unemployed for for 2 years now, maybe it's the job market in the place I am, myaybe it's my work history, maybe it's that I am not in the right place at the right time, but whatever it is I would not be here talking to you all if it were not for people who think like Ictinike.

I think people do this because they want to feel like part of the global community, seem trendy because George Cloony is doing it so that means it must be right, and yet they spit on our own troubled peoples. Look just because a movie star is doing it that won't make your contribution any greater abroad, while I do believe help abroad is important you really have to take a step back and see clearly enough what you are not doing before deciding to do something.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]