Businesses are not people. They have no feelings, empathetic or apathetic to their employees. Companies do not have a heart. Just two internal organs. The brain and the stomach. The only job of the brain is to keep the stomach from going empty. If the stomach goes empty, the brain and all other organs and appendages of the company die. When times are good, the stomach gets a little fuller and the rest of the body is happy and puts on a few pounds and raised their BMI. When the times are tough, the belt is tightened and the rest of the body feels like all they eat these days is Ramen Noodle. Some of the excess fat is shedded and the rest of the body has to work harder on less to keep the stomach from going hungry.

Companies are not charities that provide to the community. They do not exist to employee people. They are there to make a dollar. As a result of them being in business, companies need employees. If the company fails, then so does the employee. It doesn't operate in the red for a few years in order to keep food on your table.

Now on the other side of the coin, in the US, everyone gets what they deserve for their work. I do not believe anyone is underpaid or overpaid. People either accept their pay, or they look for another job. We live in an era and a country where the workforce is mobile and people can choose to work where they want. If I do not like my job, I look for another. I can work closer to home, or I can move to another city or state. It's not always easy, but we can do it here. The only people with crappy jobs are the people who choose to work in crappy jobs. If you get stuck in a crappy job, don't settle. Look for another. It is called choice and self motivation.

Only recently has it been possible in the EU. Before if you were an IT tech in Sweden, you had to work in Sweden and pay their taxes, unless you had permission from the State. Once the work barriers came down, Spain was flooded with Viking techies where it cost them less to work. EU is becoming mobile as well these days.

So unless you live in some commie country, or some union run state (Michigan for example) that determines what you should be doing and when you should be doing it, you have the job that you asked for.

That is my two bits worth.