Originally Posted By: Sethan
Maybe you should consider why you think that way Sini.

I have. I think it is no big secret that I have very little faith in humanity. I would like to attribute your changes to innate rationality, but explanation is much less flattering - your socioeconomic status changed, your surroundings changed, and you were forced to redefine who is your ingroup. If you ever end up where you started, your views will shift back. If somehow you find yourself drafted as a concentration camp guard in Reich's army, you will stop believing Jews are people.

Humanity is highly irrational, we don't think, we associate and group. That how people end up in cults, that how people end up gassing Jews. None of it is a rational choice. It isn't just a banality of evil, it is banality of lack of choice.

My own example - as I grow richer and older, I am becoming more conservative. Suddenly Derid's fairytale about underpants gnomes of invisible market force starting to appeal to me. No matter how much I want to rationalize it that way, it isn't because I was persuaded by the arguments. No, it is because I got mine, and screw everyone else. Even while being aware of this, it is really hard to resist the tendency.

[Linked Image]