Originally Posted By: Sini

I personally think that reaction to coming out as a Christian Conservative can be compared to coming out as a Neo-Nazi. Both are associated with very objectionable ideas. Christian Conservatives are not "small government, cut taxes" republicans, these are religious fundamentalists that deserve everybody's scorn.

Pretty much....

They fight for less government and yet exert more control over the personal decisions people make. They are generally lead by fear of what they don't understand and wish not to understand. That applies to all far reaching political associations though.

I live in Texas so I know the ill effects of Christians Conservatives all too well. They are on parade right now in our local government. They are allowed to talk out both sides of their mouth just like the extreme leftist are. I will not defend the actions of either.

Ex..The government shouldn't be telling me what to do but them damn fags better not be getting married and smoking pot.

Ex....They shouldn't stop gays from getting married and woman from getting abortions but the government outta stop them damn rednecks from having guns.

I could go on for days but you get my point. Ignorance is ignorance....Lets not go picking the better flavor of ignorance.

Originally Posted By: Sini
You won't. Our identity is defined through holding such believes, and the chances of you going though cognitive dissonance because of reason or logic are very slim. You ether already agree with me and being prickly won't change that, or you will never agree with me and I might as well needle inconsistencies in your views. Pure reasoning is extremely ineffective in both political persuasion and even simply persuasively communicating your position.

I can look at my life and see a fundamental shift in my belief system on multiple occasions. That change came from being born a poor country boy out in the middle of a swamp to becoming a college educated middle class person living in the city.

I am still overcoming a lot of mental hurdles as I grow older and educate myself further on things I took for granted. The more I see the less I know...pretty much sums up my life.

Keep in mind our view of the world is generally a reflection of ourselves. I look at the progress I have made and have faith that others can do the same. Maybe you should consider why you think that way Sini.