Originally Posted By: Sethan
What are your thoughts on the matter?

I personally think that reaction to coming out as a Christian Conservative can be compared to coming out as a Neo-Nazi. Both are associated with very objectionable ideas. Christian Conservatives are not "small government, cut taxes" republicans, these are religious fundamentalists that deserve everybody's scorn.

The right of political association does not protect you from social consequences in form of speech acts. As such, twitter scorn is both appropriate and justifiable response... but it is ultimately pointless.

Originally Posted By: Sethan
I might agree with you and change my mind on some things.

You won't. Our identity is defined through holding such believes, and the chances of you going though cognitive dissonance because of reason or logic are very slim. You ether already agree with me and being prickly won't change that, or you will never agree with me and I might as well needle inconsistencies in your views. Pure reasoning is extremely ineffective in both political persuasion and even simply persuasively communicating your position.

I am not trying to single you out by trying to portray you as especially illogical or irrational, you are not. This is universal human condition shared by everyone, including myself.

[Linked Image]