I don't know if we're debating semantics or if the hate for the democratic party is such that we can no longer admit the US is a democracy.

Originally Posted By: Derid
Constitutional Republic

A republic, constitutional or otherwise, without the democratic part (democratic republic or representative democracy), is a country ran by an unelected legislature. China is a constitutional republic. The bananna republics I mentioned were ran by wealthy landowners where the citizens had zero say in their government. The idea of a republic started in Rome where the Senate were appointed by status (a combination of wealth, heredity and accomplishments). This notoriously caused a lot of problems because they were completely oblivious to the needs of the citizens of a growing empire. The House of Lords in Britian, unelected representitives, is exactly why we had a revolution in the first place.

A true democracry, which keeps being brought up without definition, is a country that doesn't have a legislature. All laws, treaties, and administrative appointments are drafted and ratified by the public. This has never been in consideration because the logistics for anything larger than a city-state is bat-shit crazy.

This isn't a philosophical debate of the interests of the masses vs. the interests of the individual. This is concrete bureaucratic organization.

stability is not necessarily the best metric

Then what is? GDP, happiness, freedom? These countries work, and they work well.

mob rule

I would firmly argue that the West Europe, East Asia, South America, Oceanic democracies are far removed from mob rule.

Bahrain

Is a great example. Previously, the US would rush in defense of the monarchy. The US was very careful not to support them this time around.

Pipelinistan

I'm not naive enough to suggest we don't have shady dealings with shady governments, especially in indo-asia. Just, that in the case of a democratic revolution, the US now either supports the revolution either through action (Egypt) or inaction (Bahrain). To brush off this apparrant policy change as merely lip-service goes against both recent events and our conviction that citizens should have a say in their governence.