KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Shock
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,033,606 Trump card
1,342,073 Picture Thread
480,091 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99944 04/15/12 08:21 PM
Corpus Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
By next week end we will be using KGB Mumble for alliance coms.

To make things go smooth please create an account asap. You can not be given privileges until after you created an account. Create an account and you

Please follow the naming convention if (KGB)FullName. People without clan names will be kicked.

Port: 64738
Password kgboracle

Last edited by Ismash Grimblood; 04/15/12 08:25 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Cool to know that kgb server is been used, maybe would be not even necessary to have the paid kgb ventrilo server anymore.

Animal Ethics: "I tremble for my species when I reflect that god is just." Thomas Jefferson.
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com]
Corpus Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
It seems comm programs are like religion. People pick the one they like and hate others. Part of it is trying to relearn... to be honest I didn't want to learn a new program to talk... but after using mumble... it has a couple of features beyond quality that puts it above vent imho.

Able to make priority speakers - mutes other when they talk (battle comms)
Users can make their own temp channel
A wizard to help set up sound correctly don't need to be a techie
Most of all, I don't have to readjust the volume for every person in channel

Last edited by Ismash Grimblood; 04/16/12 04:24 PM.
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
I dont mind having them both.
Lots more control with permissions in Mumble. Its like Windows (Vent) vs Linux (Mumble).

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Corpus Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
The more I learn the more I like.. With some games, like Battlefield and Call of Duty on Windows, a plugin lets you hear the positional audio of other players. Imagine somebody calling for a heal and you hear they are right next to you to the right...without looking?

You can set up different key bindings, one for our channel another for all channels. There are even greater capabilities once we learn how to use them… like whispering to certain groups of people that you create… for instance I could create one for all of my clan, my group of friends, certain channels, all linked channels, certain task based groups, etc. The more I read the more I like it.

I don't know what the numbers will be like this week end, but at 11pm central during the week we have 40 some df users split up between vent and mumble and nothing is going on, they should all be on mumble buy the week end. So we can start some load testing, I expect us to have groups of 50+ soon.

Look at this about setting up whispers/shouts.

http://forgottendream.org/forum/index.php?topic=749.0

Corpus Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Ismash Grimblood
The more I learn the more I like.. With some games, like Battlefield and Call of Duty on Windows, a plugin lets you hear the positional audio of other players. Imagine somebody calling for a heal and you hear they are right next to you to the right...without looking?

I just read a post about somebody had one for Warband.. wasn't sure if you guys still played that.

(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
Some of the community guys tried to get a mumble server up and running in Warband but it never took off.

So then they tried a TS3 server which also failed.

Majority of gamers like vent. That coupled with most older groups having static addresses makes it easier for people to get in touch with each other.

I just read your reasons for liking mumble over vent.
Vent does everything in your list except temp channels.(not sure why you need a collapsible channel though)

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Corpus Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
I was one of those that didn't want to move to mumble either, but it would have been the end of us had we refused to join the alliance on the mumble. Than when I went back to Vent I became a mumble advocate. The difference in consistent volume alone would have sold me. I mean just the last time I was in it I couldn’t understand critter at all… I had to remove the volume ‘special effect’ and readd it to hear him. I have to adjust nearly every person, always have.

Temp channels are just nice so you can create them on the fly rather than have a dozen channels there all the time. Just a neat feature, especially when you end up with one afk guy in each channel, just make your own. Nothing earth shattering

Mumble does have far greater control with customized communications (saving a wall of text) on the way you can set up bindings. You can set up bindings so you can instantly communicate between multiple linked channels (two way phantoms) or not - Great for large siege groups.

Mumble has ‘Friends’ that are recognized based on their certificate (yes I know if you lose it you need another) but they also allow you to whisper across servers.

One cool feature I didn’t think Vent had was priority speakers? You can give certain speaker priority so when they talk all others are muted? We just had that issue in a battle the other day….Another insanely nice feature. (Yeah I know people should be disciplined but we are not)

Link Copied to Clipboard