Visit www.the-kgb.com
For additional information

Join KGB DISCORD: http://discord.gg/KGB

KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
1 members (Donkleaps), 56 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,033,906 Trump card
1,342,130 Picture Thread
480,171 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#54800 12/14/09 05:39 PM
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
I've asked various people in ventillo, but I'm still on the fence about which school i'm going to take.

First, a little intro.

Magekiller sucks. There's no use for it over aquatic shot and, even with aquatic/jump shot, there's still no reason to take it. 20% to staff users is not bad; but in order to do that you have to sacrifice stone skin, Underwater breathing, agility buff, fire magic, elemental protection buffs and a slew of other spells that give you an advantage in pvp - all for 20% more damage.

and, with a Rank 40 Bow that does let say ~30 points of damage, that's only +6 more damage! This sounds good but what it doesn't tell you that you can shoot magic for MORE damage (50 Pts) which has an AOE attached to it.

I have good aim, and in small battles or when i'm not rushed, i do well. However I can't kite cause I don't have jump shot, and in long range distance I just plain suck (arrow travels too slow)

I'm an FPS player at heart, but I hate losing more so as much as I hate to do it. I'm going magic.

So, this leads to my question ...

Question

So my question is this. If you choose anything over Fire for your damage, are you gimping yourself?

I noticed that on the armorcrafted spreadsheet, Chain through Plate has a decreased resistance to AIR magic. Also, i'm going air magic anyway for the archery buffs + aoes.

The problem is, at least from first blush, is that the AIR magic balls seem to have a smaller radius than Fireball. Am I right about this? Also, it seems that it has reduced damage but has a significantly increased stam damage cost associated with each hit.

So ... I was thinking that this might be a good mix with fireball users - in that I can drain heavy armors and do decent damage due to reduced protections on the metal based armors (chain through plate).

I would, however, be gimping myself verus bone armor and magic users, because they don't use stam for shit.

The spells that look used the most in AIR is

Ball Lightining (Max damage 50 - Damage Other)
Lightning Bolt (Max damage 120 - Damage Line)
Lightning Strike (Max damage 32 - Damage AREA)

compared to

Fireball (Max damage 50 - Damage AREA)
Firebolt (Max damage 50 - damage Other)
Dragon's Breath (Max damage 34 - Damage Line)

How about the other schools? Someone mentioned Earth? Yes, I do know you should get the buffs from all schools, but what i'm asking here is about damage spells.

I'm beginning to think anything other than Fire is gimping yourself, but I could be wrong.

Any opinions?

Former KGB Member
DFO Knight Captain
DFO Knight Captain
Well before the patch max damage on fireball is 90 to the back 65 to the front if its surging. Don't know if it has changed. I can confirm this if you want me to hit you with it.

I am also considering air magic myself. Seems like alot of the good players coming in Andruk are using it. It does nice hp damage and alot more stam drain. Since the last patch stam drain is alot more important since it doesn't seem to regenerate as quickly. I'm currently using arrow shield to level it and plan on getting lighting strike for my damage spell.

Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
You know, with the increase in the effectivenes of the new pots. My fear is that all they have to do is chug pots.

You know, I'm wondering why no one uses Lightning Bolt? It looks like a direct hit spell (as in no AOE), so maybe it's hard to use. Also, i'm guessing it has a long cooldown. Maybe it's just a matter of lack of skill that making people not want to use it? If that's the case, I'm wondering if it's worth looking into, and I can compensate the non-AOE factor by practicing with it more.

There's also other schools with minor spells, but the spreadsheet i'm using is kind of vague for the other schools. Someone said Earth was viable. Not sure.

Former KGB Member
Former Member
Former Member
What are the thoughts on arcane and necro? I think several of us need to dedicate a few hours to testing damage vs protections and all that!
Also haveing multiple schools is nice but to have 2 at fifty vs 1 with intisify up and all the big aoes would be bettter imo.

Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
I heard Arcane can do upwards to 50 damage like fireball - however Arcane Resist rings are easy to obtain because they are the mainresistance you can get versus guard towers. (I believe)

Never heard of anyone talk about necro before.

I think the only reason people go fireball is that it's the only 50 damage spell that is an aoe. Could be wrong.

Former KGB Member
DFO Knight Captain
DFO Knight Captain
Also haveing multiple schools is nice but to have 2 at fifty vs 1 with intisify up and all the big aoes would be bettter imo. [/quote]

I think having 1 at 100 is more important with intensify. That way you get your rank 90 nuke and a 100 aoe. Tip though if your going for 100 fire I think leveling wall of fire is a waste of resources since it is on the same timer as volcano and does allot less damage. I leveled my wall of fire to 75 and would give anything to have those regs back to finish taking my volcano to 75.

Kay Offline
KGB Alumni
KGB Alumni
Originally Posted By: Syloc
I heard Arcane can do upwards to 50 damage like fireball - however Arcane Resist rings are easy to obtain because they are the mainresistance you can get versus guard towers. (I believe)

Never heard of anyone talk about necro before.

I think the only reason people go fireball is that it's the only 50 damage spell that is an aoe. Could be wrong.

Arcane school does not do Arcane damage. FYI.

In Hoc Signo Vinces
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
For damage : fire.
For AoE and only if you can be dedicated enough for it : 100 necro and their invisible AoE lvl 100 spell.
For utility spells : everything.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
What's the cooldown on Fireball?

Former KGB Member
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
2s, the time needed to cast another r50 spell.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard