KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 53 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
ZoneOni
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,048,326 Trump card
1,346,098 Picture Thread
482,124 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15951 02/28/07 09:53 AM
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Im looking at purchasing a Amd Athlon xp 2700+ from a Amd Sempron 2200+. Do you guys and gals think its worth it. I know what your thinking why dont you just get a newer processor. Well if I did that, I would have to get a new mobo, and if I did that I have to get new RAM, Video card, ext... and I dont have the money for all that. So your fedback would be appreciated.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
E.Honda,

If the 2700+ is the BEST you can get for that board... then I would go for the Athlon. I do feel your pain in hardware upgrades. Likely your NEXT mobo/processor will be PCIe instead of AGP.. so it also means a new graphics card, RAM, and Processor.

Here is a link that describes the differences:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/127

You might want to follow up with actually checking with the manufacturer (not just the motherboard book - or even the website) of your motherboard what the MAX that is supported. Often there are BIOS updates that add more processors to the list (often undocumented other than the BIOS update notes). I would think that if it supports the Athlon 2700, it should support the 2800+ as well (perhaps more). For example,I have a socket 939 board that supports Sempron's and Athlons all the way up to dual core FX chips!!

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Link Copied to Clipboard