KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 43 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,037,373 Trump card
1,342,611 Picture Thread
481,220 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Slinger #15899 02/27/07 03:06 PM
Missing in Action - October 2021
wasn't gonna get involved with this but something Slinger said didn't make sense to me. He said that dogs are not allowed in restraunts as a freedom that was taken away (way i phrased it doesn't make sense but you get the idea.) I was not aware of any Federal Law that states that dogs are not allowed in restraunts.

So I did some research and found out
- There are no Federal laws prohibiting dogs at restaurants. The FDA Food Code is a recommendation, not a law. Federal Law requires restaurants to allow service dogs for the handicapped both inside and outside.

- State laws govern the restaurant health codes. Not the Federal Government. Many States incorporate parts of the FDA Food Code into their laws.

- If a state doesn't allow dogs at outdoor restaurants then cities or counties in most states may allow it locally by issuing a variance (exception) to the state code. Cities may implement these variances through an ordinance or simply through the health department. Variances can be allowed for all restaurants or individually.

- Even if allowed by law the final decision is up to the restaurant owner who may choose to allow or not allow dogs.

Not sure if this is actully true but i will investiagte more to discover the truth of these statements ( taken from http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/newsletters/jul06.shtml )

Its like a school bus of nuns hitting a shit wagon and bursting into flames. You just can't look away... -Tasorin
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Slinger, read my last post again thoroughly, especially the first sentence. You're drawing the wrong conclusions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Slinger Offline OP
OP Offline
Chaulootz, you're correct that it isn't governed by federal law, and that not all states restrict such things, and that exceptions can be made. That's not exactly the point I was trying to get at though, I guess I never wrapped my point up.

The thing that really bothers me is that we aren't as free in this country as we were intended to be by our forefathers. While the dogs in restaurant ordeal doesn't apply to everyone, why should anyone require "the proper papers" to have their well behaved family dog at their restaurant?

Why should we be required to have papers for a number of things? I'll give some examples, and arguments for both sides so we don't have to argue over them, lol.

Airplane tickets: why are we required to verify our identity when boarding airplanes?

It's intrusive and an invasion of privacy, I don't care to have the government know exactly where I am or where I travel to. On the other hand, this is a good way to make sure criminals don't escape the law.

Setting up a charity: why do I have to set up or go through a not-for-profit organization (or equally qualified organization) to raise money for a charity or cause?

I don't want to pay the government a fee so that I can raise money for my local recreation center or to send financial support to a veterinary clinic that isn't able to save as many pets as need help in their very poor town in South America somewhere. On the other hand, if there were not laws regulating such things, what's to stop me from saying I'm raising money for a good cause then pocketing it?

There are a lot of situations that are similar, or can be looked at in similar ways at least. As it stands now, I have no radical ideas to go changing laws or fighting the man, only a desire to educate people on little freedoms that have been mangled with paperwork. I want a simpler world, I guess.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
Slinger #15902 02/27/07 03:56 PM
I think we have way more freedoms than our forefathers intended, I mean, Washington (while he was president) got arrested in... Connecticut I want to say, while riding to deliver some important document on a Sunday. Yeah, he got arrested for not obeying the sabbath. Freedom?

I want to say the document was a veto, and that's why the 10-day rule for a president to submit his veto doesn't count Sundays or something like that, but honestly I'm not 100% sure.

I don't want to get too involved in this, much like Chaulootz, although I have been reading all of your obscenely long posts, but all I wanted to say was that although it may seem like our Forefathers were for all sorts of freedoms, really they'd wig out if they saw the country in the state it was today (because of freedoms, not restrictions implemented; e.g. "What?! Women and Blacks actually VOTE?!")

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
Slinger #15903 02/27/07 04:00 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Quote:

I don't expect to be able to make smoking legal in public places again, though I do expect to educate people as to what changes are being proposed so they can voice their opinions on them.

Yes, but you are missing my point, I think. It isn't "Government" that is responsible for this. It is society at large, and even if you do try to "educate" people on the issue, they will look at you like you only recently flew in from Neptune, and say, "but we WANT to ban fill in the blank. It's about damn time that we banned whatever the Hell it is they currently have their panities twisted in a knot over."

But don't let me stop you. Don Quixote LIVES!

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Slinger #15904 02/27/07 04:50 PM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Why verify our identity when boarding an airplane??? I do believe that is an incredibly bad choice of a situation you are using to try and prove a point in light of recent events...

Your intent is well meant and certainly some of your points are valid... the question is where is the line drawn in trying to impose some sort of law and order to this society vs. having a lawless society with no rules, regulations, or respect. Yes certain personal liberties/freedoms may have to be impinged on for a certain degree of safety i.e. showing a valid id when boarding a plane is one that I am not against.

I guess I am still struggling with your intent Slinger... if it is trying to educate the masses about what is considered lost liberties and freedoms then good luck because again unfortunately the average joe doesn't care. Those that do are informed and often quite polarized one way or another... this nation needs folks to move a little more to the middle...

5050 #15905 02/27/07 05:14 PM
Slinger Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Why verify our identity when boarding an airplane??? I do believe that is an incredibly bad choice of a situation you are using to try and prove a point in light of recent events...

Your intent is well meant and certainly some of your points are valid... the question is where is the line drawn in trying to impose some sort of law and order to this society vs. having a lawless society with no rules, regulations, or respect. Yes certain personal liberties/freedoms may have to be impinged on for a certain degree of safety i.e. showing a valid id when boarding a plane is one that I am not against.

I guess I am still struggling with your intent Slinger... if it is trying to educate the masses about what is considered lost liberties and freedoms then good luck because again unfortunately the average joe doesn't care. Those that do are informed and often quite polarized one way or another... this nation needs folks to move a little more to the middle...

I gave both sides of the argument on the whole airplane example, and personally, I don't mind proving my identity at an airport. Call me a hippie or whatever, but I crave a society where people are not so uptight, all the time. I'm not nervous, I trust people, and I'm not afraid of the germs a dog has. It might have a lot to do with growing up in an extremely small back-woods "town", but even there people are just generally uptight about something, and I don't understand why.

And hopefully if I make a big fat public ordeal out of my ideals, it will urge the middle to move a little. It's super hard for me to make any arguments any direction, because I'm generally very impartial on most subjects, but I feel that publicizing the people's ability to influence the law is important. My examples are my loosely liberal ideals seeping from my pores.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
Slinger #15906 02/27/07 09:48 PM
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

To address 5050 and Crim, it comes down to property rights.
The basic question is if I own the bar, why do I not have the right to smoke in it, or allow others to smoke in it. Sure, its unhealthy. But its my bar. Not your bar. I am not forcing you to patronize my bar. If you dislike the smoke in my bar, you are more than free to not patronize my bar.

Either our bodies and property belong to ourselves, or they do not. I can see regulating things that may harm others without their consent. I can see regulating public property, for example I think the Govt has every right to eliminate smoking in a Courthouse. Many people may be required to visit the courthouse to do the publics business who dont like smoke. And after all, their taxes helped pay for it.

I'm also all for "truth in labelling", I think intentionally misrepresenting a business or product should be punishable according to the laws governing fraud. But I think having dogs or smoke is fine, as long as the establishment freely states that smoke and dogs are or may be present. Same goes for transfatty acids and all sorts of other unhealthy things.

And to Owain, you made the point Sling made I think- the Govt is elected by the people. Which is why if you really dislike it so much, and think its going down a terrible terrible path, I say its our responsibility- as in those who think so, to get involved.

Derid #15907 02/27/07 09:55 PM
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

5050, lets take another example then: Taking your shoes off at the airport. Do you really think that improves security in any meaningfull fashion?

I know we spend alot of time and money. I also know most of the measures in place are mere theatre. People need to learn to be less scared, and we need to spend our time and money more sensibly.

The reason there hasnt been another 9/11 style hijacking is because the terrorists now know that we know what theyre up to. They know that if they try and hijack another plane with boxcutters, we are all going to rise up and beat the shit out of them and crash the plane if necesarry.

It certainly has 0 to do with removing our shoes, or "no-fly" lists, or secret "terror rating" scores accumulated
in secret, or mass investigations of normal citizens.

Derid #15908 02/27/07 11:24 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Owain is absolutely right that it is American society at large that is to blame rather than the government (which the society places in power). In my original post I stated that we live in a bi-polar nation with only two reigning political parties. They are continuously playing tug of war with the nation, when they should be more focused on tackling and succeeding with the issues at hand. Unless a third party or more emerge, there will never really be much of a balance in American politics. My theory is that through balance the truth and fairness can be found; not in polar extremes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard