Quote:

The basic question is if I own the bar, why do I not have the right to smoke in it, or allow others to smoke in it.

There is a trade off between the rights of the individual, and the general welfare of society. If you are talking about a bar in your own home, that you use for your personal use, or entertaining friends on your own dime, then sure, the decision to allow smoking is strictly up to you. Once you open your doors to the public, you are subject to regulation. You have to have a business license, you have to have a liquor license, and you are taxed differently.

In addition, some communities have decided that since this is a public business, smoking is not permitted since it is not in the best interest of the public. There are a lot of reasons for this. Increased health care costs, for example, which governments administer through things like Medicaid and Medicare. This is just a part of doing business, and in this case, like many others, the voters have decided that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. If you don't like that, you have to form your own special interest group to lobby legislators and convince them that a large percentage of their voting constituents want these laws changed or repealed.

That's the way it works.

Quote:

And to Owain, you made the point Sling made I think- the Govt is elected by the people. Which is why if you really dislike it so much, and think its going down a terrible terrible path, I say its our responsibility- as in those who think so, to get involved.

Yes, but my point is that the government is enacting these laws because that is EXACTLY what a majority of voters want right now. There may be a lot of people who disagree, but it would seem that you are currently in the minority, so unless you can convince a lot of people to change their minds, you will not have a lot of luck. This may be what Slinger has in mind, but I have the impression that he and you think that the 'evil government' is enacting these laws contrary to what the voting public's wishes. I don't think that's the case. They are being enacted BECAUSE that is what the voter's want.

That is an entirely different kettle of fish...

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council