KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,986,836 Trump card
1,323,918 Picture Thread
473,873 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Taxman Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Hmm - looks like we are still pretty much on the fence with regards to Discord vs TeamSpeak.

I think for now, let's keep the "evaluation" rolling. There really hasn't been a lot of people online lately (holidays/sick/etc) so it will give people who have not tried Discord a chance to do so. We can revisit the vote or talk about it at our next BDO Faction Meeting.

Speaking of that, when would be a good day for our next meeting? I have been typically shooting for Sunday's to try to get the majority of participation - but open for other thoughts.

Thanks!

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Not sure we need a meeting? Does anyone have anything that needs to be discussed?
There are a lot of things I'd like in the game, but none are really under our control, it seems.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Any reason why we are not considering this for all of KGB?

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
We certainly could consider Discord for all of KGB. I'll let Taxman fill you in on the app, but those of us on BDO have found it useful. It has some BDO centric channels, such as a boss info channel that are nice, but I like the sound quality better.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Taxman Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Any reason why we are not considering this for all of KGB?

Indeed, Discord was suggested by our recruitment officers because many of the BDO players are using Discord because of the community run "world boss" announcements that are generated by server-channel there. So while you are playing, you can get notified when world bosses are spawning so you can position yourself beforehand.

I have used Discord in the past, and have been using it as a replacement for my own personal games/comm since Dolby Axon has now officially closed shop. The sound quality of Discord, is very high (almost as good as Dolby Axon - which also featured positional audio). It also provides the text chat #channels like slack does (where videos/images/etc can be linked or pasted into chat).

I would say that the only thing that Discord does not do is allow officers to have a sub-channel "whisper" chat - I am certain that could still be implemented (by creating a separate channel for officers only and binding a key to toggle/chat there for example), but lets just say that isn't built-in functionality. Alternatively, we could use TS specifically for that functionality as you can run TS and Discord at the same time.

JetStar, if you would like - we could certainly open up a wider KGB test for Discord and let folks give it a shot. Everyone that I have talked to personally DEFINITELY enjoys Discord more than TS, and appreciates the additional features. I don't think we left the vote open long enough to capture everyone's votes - but given the folks actively in-game using Discord, all I have heard is GOOD things about Discord.

Oh, something else that Discord offers is webhooks so you could tie bots or things to respond/notify into Discord like slack is doing right now.

Here is a link for the channel Widget (who's online/etc) --> Widget

Here is a link for anyone whom wants to pop into the BDO chat and check it out. --> https://discord.gg/xThgD3g
(note - once you connect Roles will need to be granted or you can't leave the General chat area, we set the security up similar to TS)

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Most of the BDO folks already know about it, at least the active ones, so you might want to spread the word on this in one of the main channels.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Taxman Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Ah sorry - thought the intent was to explain how Discord is "different" and decide if we wanted to open it up to folks outside of BDO to check out. Specifically... folks who want to evaluate it as an alternative to TS/etc.

I am certainly not an expert regarding Discord, but would be happy to work something out. We could either have a few folks TEST out what is in place with BDO now - or create a separate KGB server channel that anyone whom wants to could dog-pile on to check it out. Let me know what "we" want to do.. and I will do my best to work something out.

beer

Taxman

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
The intent is to explain the differences, but if you post a link in the BDO forums to invite general KGB members to check it out, only BDO folks will see it, and they should already know about it.

I suppose Jet can relay the link on the front page if he wants the general membership to evaluate the program. That would probably be the best approach, and it would also be an endorsement of the good job we are doing in KGB BDO.

Federal support of the faction has been...lacking, otherwise.

Last edited by Owain; 12/08/16 12:58 PM.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Having used both I would say TS3 has the better quality of sound. However, for whatever reason when we made our TS3 server we limited the quality to under half due to bandwidth. Some changes have been made for overall sound quality.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KGB TS Server Administrator
KGB High Chancellor - Star Citizen
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
Originally Posted By: Zhou
Having used both I would say TS3 has the better quality of sound. However, for whatever reason when we made our TS3 server we limited the quality to under half due to bandwidth. Some changes have been made for overall sound quality.

Also having used both, I am a heavy supporter of TS3.
The ArcheAge Faction will remain in TS3, but my AA membership are free to test Discord as they please.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard