KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Decon Black
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,988,697 Trump card
1,324,443 Picture Thread
474,043 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#133846 12/03/15 03:50 PM
Owain Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Here is a copy of a tech support email I submitted, in case anyone else is having joystick issues. My model, Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X

-------------
Re: problem report 146410

Update to the problem. The uncommanded flight control inputs I was seeing were actually caused by inputs by mouse position. I had to go into the mouse command bindings and remove the pitch/roll mouse inputs. That solved the problem of uncommanded control inputs when using the joystick.

Unfortunately, I still have the problem of programming the game keybindings to accept my joystick inputs. Part of the problem is that your definitions are incorrect. What you call roll is actually yaw. Please refer to the link provided for correct axis of rotation definitions for the following description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_principal_axes

The roll axis extends out the nose of the spaceship, rotation about this axis, positive and negative, is roll. Movement left and right on a joystick should give left and right roll movements. The game reads this movement when setting keybindings, but in game, this doesn't result in a spacecraft roll. It results in yaw in one direction (right), and no movement in the other direction (left) with my joystick.

The yaw axis extends upward from the center of the spaceship. Rotation about this axis is yaw, but you call it roll. On my Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X joystick, this can be represented either by rotation of the joystick handle (which I have disabled), or by use of a left and right rudder control on the throttle. The game keybindings recognize the left and right rudder yaw inputs, but in game, this results in no spaceship movement with my joystick.

The pitch axis extends left and right from the spacecraft, and rotation about this axis is pitch up or down. Interesting, but in game, the joystick correctly causes both positive and negative pitch, but in the keybinding section for the joystick, the software doesn't see the joystick movements for pitch, either positive or negative for my joystick.

I think you have a combination of software problems and hardware compatibility problems. Your software problem is that you do not have keyboard commands for rotation about all space craft axis. The axis you do have, roll, is defined incorrectly, and actually implements a yaw rotation.

Your hardware incompatibility problem is with the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hostas X. You are not correctly reading inputs for roll or yaw, and while pitch rotation is implemented correctly in the game, pitch inputs are not being registered in the joystick keybinding section.

I hope this analysis is helpful.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Owain #133847 12/03/15 04:11 PM
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
They have had joystick configuration issues from day 1 of the PU Alpha module. That is why you always see CR flying with a PS Controller.

There have been some very good threads though on the SC community portal about how to set up stick profiles to overcome CIG's lack of focus on flight sticks currently. I don't blame CIG, get your core modules in order first, than figure out your peripheral configuration issues for those that you are going to support.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
They have had joystick configuration issues from day 1 of the PU Alpha module. That is why you always see CR flying with a PS Controller.

There have been some very good threads though on the SC community portal about how to set up stick profiles to overcome CIG's lack of focus on flight sticks currently. I don't blame CIG, get your core modules in order first, than figure out your peripheral configuration issues for those that you are going to support.

Pretty much this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KGB TS Server Administrator
KGB High Chancellor - Star Citizen
Owain #133854 12/03/15 11:34 PM
Owain Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Well, I won't be able participate until they address this issue. Stiff fingers (arthritis) make keyboard flying difficult at best. Trivially easy with a joystick, though. If the game can't even read joystick inputs correctly, a viable workaround seems unlikely.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Owain #133867 12/04/15 11:43 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
It reads my Logitech Extreme 3D-Pro just fine, yes I did have to switch the X-axis from YAW to Roll, WHY they chose to do that - I can't answer. But it does look like in Alpha 2.0 there is a configuration named "X-Axis Roll" so perhaps that will make it easier then.

Joystick controls, HOTAS + Throttle are important to them, I am certain some MORE emphasis will be placed on joystick configuration/controllers/settings once they get things up and running!

For now, it is just a matter of getting things configured. Google your joystick model + Star Citizen and my bet is you will find some sort of player who already found out what NEEDS to be done to get it working. Either in the Star Citizen forums, reddit, or youtube.

This is the utility I used to save my config as an XML file so I can just reload it anytime I want. A known problem right now is if you change settings to the built-in configs and there is an update... well it will just overwrite your settings with the "default" so you might want to get a snapshot of your config when you get it working.

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Link Copied to Clipboard