KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Decon Black
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,988,697 Trump card
1,324,443 Picture Thread
474,043 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#133466 11/09/15 03:49 AM
hydr Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
Well...

After much debate with myself since I move around often and from country to country these past handful of years I've decided that I'm just going to game from a laptop and build a desktop again when I know I'm going to stay somewhere longer than a year.

I've read a lot about the current gaming laptops and I was surprised to see that they have come along way.

Looking for a little help in my decision. And I'm sure budget plays a huge factor in a decision along with which titles someone plays. I know it's not as easy to forward proof a gaming laptop but I would like something that will get it done for at least 2 years. The only real graphic intensive title that I do plan on playing in Star Citizen and that is almost 2 years out anyway, but there are modules currently out (I'm curious if anyone out there now has run SC on a laptop. What model are you using and whats the performance like). Other titles I might be playing: LoL, WoW, Guild Wars2 (not the most graphic intensive titles)

I'm also not the sort that needs all of my settings on ULTRA HIGH GOD MODE ANTI ALIASING OVER 9000x. I prefer performance, high setting, and usually turn off any fluff features like shadows, weather etc.

I'm allowing my budget to range from 1k to 2.2k, 15 inch only, no monster 17 inch laptops. I like the portability a 15 brings and it fits in my backpack.

I have seen that MSI has some pretty nice laptops right at 1k. They are using a 960m, which looks like the low end of the current mobile gaming gpus using the latest cpu that just came out (from what I can tell and have seen on Youtube these laptops run LoL, WoW, etc with no difficulties). At a higher end I've seen that Aorus has a SLI 965m which by benchmarks rates higher than a 980m. However that laptop doesn't have the latest cpu. I read an article that mentioned gaming not to base your decision on the latest cpu bump as it provides very little performance gain.

Does anyone game from a laptop now? How do you like it? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you

hydr #133467 11/09/15 05:49 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Talk to Zsane. Trust me on this one

[Linked Image]
hydr #133471 11/09/15 10:01 AM
hydr Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
Ok

Will get in touch with him.

Thanks

hydr #133472 11/09/15 11:35 AM
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
This is why when I built my desktop PC, I purchased the Antek Lan Boy Air case. The quick disconnects for periphials and the rugged case design with carrying handles on the top of the case make it highly portable for moving. I take my desktop with me when I drive home once, sometimes twice a month, and have a travel bag with a keyboard, mouse, cans and desk mic that takes mere moments to plug back it. Obviously, if you are relocating on a train in Korea, it's a different story.

The only problem I have with the incarnations of "gaming laptops" is that they never measure up to the graphics capabilities of a desktop. The computing capacity, north bridge and active memory issues of the past with laptops for the most part has gone away as long as you purchase a decent laptop with those choke points in mind. The other issue for laptops is if you are going to go wireless for connectivity and the inherent latency that is involved in packet transfer over wireless and how that directly effects titles where twitch speed matters (like shooters and in MMO pvp).

That being said, Zane and Syev/Derid are you two best KGB resources. Both Zane and Derid own businesses that can provide below or at cost solutions and can be trusted with your hard earned dollars.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
hydr #133474 11/09/15 01:41 PM
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
hydr #133475 11/09/15 03:46 PM
Z
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Z
I just recently sold Donk an MSI gaming laptop that he seemed quite pleased with. I'm kind of partial to the MSI lineup myself as they make a damn nice machine. I'll look into their 15" gaming line and see what we can do.

With Donk's laptop we added a Samsung M.2 style internal SSD as the primary storage drive and demoted the standard HDD to be used for documents and user files giving him the best of both worlds. We did it that way so that you end up with a better SSD with a 5 year warranty instead of just the 1 year you get with the bundled version.

-Hadrik Hardhammer, FFXIV | -Zsane, Archeage (Retired) | Steam: KGB Zane | E-mail: Zane@ecsinc.com | Currently on Tap: Empty Keg :(
hydr #133476 11/09/15 06:58 PM
hydr Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
Hi thanks for the help. I had looked over the MSI lineup again, my small issue with them is that they look like gaming laptops unless you go with a PE series but they are limited to 960m in the event I went to something more powerful. With that in mind for a higher end laptop that doesnt look like a gaming laptop the Aorus X5-CF1 looks pretty beastly for a 15'. The only negatives I saw was someone mentioning but they didn't own themselves either was their fear of sputtering with sli at low frame rates or sli not being supported in some titles. < no idea about those things. Other then that I saw all positive reviews.

Last edited by hydr; 11/09/15 09:42 PM.
JetStar #133504 11/11/15 06:07 PM
Z
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Z
Originally Posted By: JetStar

Hydr and I have been going over some of these systems for the past couple days. I think we may have narrowed it down to either the Aorus X5 or Gigabyte P35X V4.

If you are also interested in a configuration similar to what he is going with I can send an estimate over to you as well. Just PM me if you'd like to discuss. Additional contact info is in my sig below.

-Hadrik Hardhammer, FFXIV | -Zsane, Archeage (Retired) | Steam: KGB Zane | E-mail: Zane@ecsinc.com | Currently on Tap: Empty Keg :(
hydr #133507 11/11/15 06:38 PM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
I am particularly interested in the "Warsteiner Oktoberfest", tell me more about that.

Grem #133508 11/11/15 07:04 PM
Z
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Z
Originally Posted By: Grem
I am particularly interested in the "Warsteiner Oktoberfest", tell me more about that.

It's like liquid bubbly malty computer. In a glass. Imported from Germany. It's awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard