KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 70 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Stealth Hawk
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,027,385 Trump card
1,339,567 Picture Thread
478,260 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#124359 04/10/14 07:35 PM
Zhou Offline OP
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
OP Offline
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
-The module will come live by the end of the month.

-The dog-fighting module will be in the final game as arena commander simulator in your hangar.

-Dog-fighting will be a stand alone, COD/BF style space fighting with leader-boards and game-modes.

-The game will require 64bit by Dog-fighting release 3. As well as FPS boarding will be added as well.

-Multi-crew ships will be in Dog-fighting release 2.

-Dog-fighting will allow practice against AI.

-You can eject from your ship.

The game looks good, buggy but great. Too much G's can make your pilot pass out in the cockpit. Sorry Romeo think your gonna puke no matter what lol. Well until the larger ships enter the game.

2,274 Alpha Slots left for Dog-Fighting. If you don't grab your slot you wont be able to join till after the live universe comes online.

Last edited by Zhou; 04/11/14 11:34 AM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KGB TS Server Administrator
KGB High Chancellor - Star Citizen
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuhIBoKBCc

you can watch the revel here it works better than the saved twitch video as its easyier to jump around

First view of the working DFM is at 12.00 onwards

As Zhou says its buggy but in there is the makings of a great game just needs to be debugged but then thats alpha

all of the ships in the DFM have gone through PBR so look great

Last edited by Instrument; 04/11/14 05:25 AM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Microsoft crashes devs game, dev crashes it again...

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Missing in Action - October 2021
I have played the game...it is fantastic and looks beautiful.

Its like a school bus of nuns hitting a shit wagon and bursting into flames. You just can't look away... -Tasorin
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
chaulootz did you go to the revel?

Zhou Offline OP
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
OP Offline
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Originally Posted By: Instrument
chaulootz did you go to the revel?

Guessing it was more of the Hangar module which is technically playing the game.

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
appears CIG had demos running at PAX one of the backers gave it ago and posted his thoughts

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.co...ay-1-dfm-review

"I will say that my favorite part was tailing an opposing hornet, shooting off a piece of his wing and then having that wing hit my ship and knock it off course."

1,810 slots left

Last edited by Instrument; 04/12/14 09:22 AM.
At pax east they have the demo running its only you vs the ai but still cool I took some video but the internet here sucks.

Try to upload it when I can

Its like a school bus of nuns hitting a shit wagon and bursting into flames. You just can't look away... -Tasorin
Zhou Offline OP
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
OP Offline
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Originally Posted By: chaulootz
At pax east they have the demo running its only you vs the ai but still cool I took some video but the internet here sucks.

Try to upload it when I can

Nice!

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Another Chris interview this one he gave some nice detail on how G force will affect the player (its not just a screen going dark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LHeLApZDQ3o#t=491

edited to add alpha slots they are going fast now
1,124 slots left

Last edited by Instrument; 04/14/14 02:13 PM.
KGB Knight
KGB Knight

18 mins of DFM and no crash's recorded at the PAX event the sound is replaced by music due to high back ground noise

Last edited by Instrument; 04/14/14 04:00 PM.

Game crashed a few times but generally was very polished.

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Interesting. G force is actually inaccurate, as it is a force of weight. It can result in death, although it's interesting to consider how it would actually effect you in space. Acceleration, deceleration and turns would cause force, but in a weightless environment. Cool stuff.

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Pretty nice video describing what is actually going on when they say pull too many g's and you can black out (or red out)

note: it is a little long, but there's pictures

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Vuldan
Interesting. G force is actually inaccurate, as it is a force of weight. It can result in death, although it's interesting to consider how it would actually effect you in space. Acceleration, deceleration and turns would cause force, but in a weightless environment. Cool stuff.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You start out being wrong by saying that their newtonian physics are wrong, but then say that acceleration/deviations from a given velocity vector WOULD impart a force?

In any case.. ignore the fact that G-forces are called G-anything, because gravity has pretty much nothing to do with it (nor does weight, which is a unit of measurement of mass in a given gravitational acceleration.

Yes changing vectors in space imparts forces (a whole bunch in different directions depending on what you do).

If anything, the system they've unveiled is probably pretty forgiving compared to what might really be given rough thrust estimates of main thrusters and maneuvering thrusters (barring insane advances in flight suit technology, inertial dampening, etc.)

EDIT: Also +1 for Felix's video, I haven't watched it yet, but I have heard many good things from other physics-minded folks.

Last edited by Hobbitlauncher; 04/16/14 08:04 PM.

They/Them

Star Citizen:
MISC Endeavor -- Anvil Carrack -- Anvil Terrapin -- Drake Dragonfly
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I love watching Vuldan crash and burn [haha]

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Having a big discussion on the RSI forums right now with some other physics junkies on this very topic.

The big unknowns are where the cockpit is in relation to center of rotation (depends on thruster placement and strength for a given ship) AND the strength of combined thrusters for a given maneuver.

Also, I watched the video from Felix finally. Guy does a solid job simplified the meat of the issue for layfolk

They/Them

Star Citizen:
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
People think because it is weightless in space that inertia and physics play no part...lulz fools.

Zhou Offline OP
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
OP Offline
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Don't hound the old man Vuldan. Just glad he isn't as worried about the game like a couple weeks back. Even if he was saying its inaccurate he was impressed with the feature.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Even though he drives this?

I am sure there is some G-Force there... [yes]

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Or at the very least there are some G-Men eyeballing it.

They/Them

Star Citizen:
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Ah, so interesting. Hobbit, I have no idea where the hell you went to school but I am more than willing to entertain your opinion, please explain how it is not a matter of weight again?

Regardless of common myth, "G", gravity exists, even in space. It's what holds the moon in place and most celestial bodies. The forces felt when a manned spacecraft accelerates, decelerates, or changes direction are not examples of gravity, but of inertia. They are called "G-forces" because they increase or decrease a person's apparent weight.

Newtons Law of Physics would still apply, as the turn of a space craft would be the same as that in a car, the difference is the amount of force external to the event. My point was designed to illustrate my immediate reaction, which was the effect would not, IN MY OPINION, be the same as that felt by a pilot in a Jet, but hell, I don't really know, I have never flown out of the atmosphere of earth.

Drakiis, not sure who pulled your chain, glad your enjoying the show, you can tuck your butt back in whatever hole you crawled out of to get back to the guild you swore you would never return to any day.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Ah, so interesting. Hobbit, I have no idea where the hell you went to school but I am more than willing to entertain your opinion, please explain how it is not a matter of weight again?

Regardless of common myth, "G", gravity exists, even in space. It's what holds the moon in place and most celestial bodies. The forces felt when a manned spacecraft accelerates, decelerates, or changes direction are not examples of gravity, but of inertia. They are called "G-forces" because they increase or decrease a person's apparent weight.

Newtons Law of Physics would still apply, as the turn of a space craft would be the same as that in a car, the difference is the amount of force external to the event. My point was designed to illustrate my immediate reaction, which was the effect would not, IN MY OPINION, be the same as that felt by a pilot in a Jet, but hell, I don't really know, I have never flown out of the atmosphere of earth.

Drakiis, not sure who pulled your chain, glad your enjoying the show, you can tuck your butt back in whatever hole you crawled out of to get back to the guild you swore you would never return to any day.

good natured fun is apparently lost on you Vuldan, and I never swore anything of the sort. Either way I think the words you are searching for is;

Inertia Definition

G-Force

These two Laws of Motion are primary to space travel, regardless of the weightless aspects of space, because all objects including the human body have Mass and are under acceleration.

NASA trains extensively for G-Forces experienced during space flight, and G-Lock is a real danger for a spacecraft

If you don't want to back down from your comment or admit its lack of factual information while attempting to personally attack me fine, that's all on you I don't care at this point. I see some things never change.

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
I don't consider any of your comments good natured, I have nothing to back down from, and it was not personally attacking you., I was responding to your personal comments with regards to me, in not one, or even two but three separate posts. I have zero interest in your opinion, nor does it have any relevance on my life.

I'm fairly confident that NASA trains on g force due to the launch of a space craft, and recovery of same, NOT for any major g impact in space. Your band wagon attempt to discredit my statements, along with the nice quote of wiki info does not change the fact that my statement is still true. Nothing you have brought up remotely changes my previous statement, which is partially based on the mathematical theorem that weight equals mass times gravitational acceleration. Look it up. You will find it, even in wiki.

Once again, I fail to even understand how you expect to attack me, then attempt to turn it around. As so cleverly noted by yourself, some things never change. You top that list apparently. In case you would care to take note, I have not commented on anything related to you, neither your return app, nor any post of yours. I would have preferred it remain that way.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Vuldan if I even cared enough to argue with you right now I'd be no better than you, so have it your way, I've got better things to do than have you spew negativity, imo if you want to get technical you are no better than I am when it comes to treating people with respect, the difference is I realize that, you don't.

Zhou Offline OP
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
OP Offline
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Come on everyone, stay on topic please, enough bickering and disrespect. It's Easter enjoy the day!

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
CIG finally released
Arena Commander: PAX East and Beyond
this is their version of how the DFM should work
starts off as a recap of development and PAX revel
from 23 mins its all new stuff

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
Vuldan if I even cared enough to argue with you right now I'd be no better than you, so have it your way, I've got better things to do than have you spew negativity, imo if you want to get technical you are no better than I am when it comes to treating people with respect, the difference is I realize that, you don't.

As you wish. Happy Easter.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
*snipped out attack on my education* (for reference, I am studying astrophysics right now after completing my previous degree a few years back)

Dunno why this all turned into a ragefest, but hopefully everyone has a splendid Easter.

Vuldan: your first comment stated two opposing views (or was at least worded poorly to give me that impression, if so, my apologies) as below -
"Interesting. G force is actually inaccurate, as it is a force of weight. It can result in death, although it's interesting to consider how it would actually effect you in space. Acceleration, deceleration and turns would cause force, but in a weightless environment. Cool stuff."

G-force isn't inaccurate, unless you mean the term itself. The only thing inaccurate about it is that someone chose to erroneously label it as a gravitational force when it has nothing to do with G fields. Yes, G-fields extend infinitely into the void of space at a strength of 1/r^2. Specifically, inertia is a property of all matter, not specifically because of a material's mass (weight is irrelevant beyond being a conversion factor of mass in a given g-field). All matter happens to have mass (which then factors into making inertia non-zero) due to another property of matter (currently believed to be the Higgs Boson)

The force is deceptively simple to calculate, other than making sure there are no issues with your vector math. You can (pretty much) completely ignore all local G because interstellar space is going to be infinitely close to zero, given all nearby sources of mass and the distances involved (come close enough to a celestial body and then it gets messy, but I have no idea if they modeled that portion or not). In this scenario, we'd basically only need to know the direction and acceleration at any moment (or the acceleration vector, if you will). We can derive the acceleration from the mass of the ship (your pilot mass is negligible, but we can throw it in for fun) and the force (thrust) exerted by the thruster(s) used to make the maneuver. Newton's laws would then state an equal force (inertia) would be exerted on the ship and its contents (pilot) in the opposite direction.

Ship from zero to x velocity with y acceleration gives a -y force as inertia in the opposite direction. Once at speed, there is no more inertia (no more acceleration, F=ma)

Ship from x speed to y velocity (either higher or lower) with z acceleration (positive or negative) gives an opposite force -z (negative or positive, respectively) as inertia to the pilot.

This can also be taken in a course change, a banked turn, an additional directional vector without modifying the original vector, etc. All of these forces are directly proportional to the thrust rating of the thrusters involved and the mass of the ship and pretty much all other forces will be negligible.

There was more that I was going to type, but I lost it (mental train derails ftw) but hopefully you understand where I (at least perceive) you to be incorrect in the italicized statement above.

EDIT for clarity:

F(thrusters applied) = m(system[ship+pilot+cargo]) * a(system) (we want to find the a of the ship)
so
a(system)=F(thrust)/m(system)

Then we can apply this a(system) to the mass of each object we want to analyze. The force exerted on a pilot's body would be F(body)=m(pilot+gear)*a(system)

At this point I can see where you would say mass (not quite weight, as you said) matters, but only after multiple derivations of values, and your mass stays relatively constant so it's also safe to say from a mathematical perspective that only the acceleration of the system matters. (the constant is applied, but constantly, so it isn't a variable, unless you can gain/lose weight(mass) in the game, lol)

Last edited by Hobbitlauncher; 04/20/14 06:24 AM.

They/Them

Star Citizen:
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
LOL..no idea Hobbit, and yes, my Easter has been great. And yes, my first attempted post was worded badly, with competing thoughts, but not worth all that followed. I am interested to see how this will effect things. If it's a true model, I would think that some type of artificial gravity would have to exist, for real extended time in space, wouldn't you think? Based on what we know anyway.

Ah well, will just have to see. I hope they pull it off, would be terribly disappointing if they mess it up at this point.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Well I believe they said larger ships will have artificial gravity. Also, generating a force to simulate gravity in a station is pretty easy, just have to make it circular and spin it.

I'm not too worried about it. They've got at least one physicist on board.

They/Them

Star Citizen:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard