KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 49 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Shock
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,032,980 Trump card
1,341,967 Picture Thread
479,722 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Forbes on Silk Road

Silk road is drug trading website that uses distributed cryptography (TOR) to evade detection. For Derid - TOR is only possible because of net neutrality principles.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

TOR isnt distributed cryptography, its just a series of proxies. If you dont encrypt your actual payload people on the network can snoop with ease - and do. (It stands for The Onion Router ). Joining the network, and snooping on all the traffic people dont bother to encrypt is actually a favorite pasttime of quite a few people, and intelligence agencies.

And... wtf are you doing trying to bring "net neutrality" into the discussion? Has no relevance.

Anyhow, I have heard of silk road and look forward to reading the article.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Net neutrality is surprisingly sore topic for you and the only instance where you simply refused to engage on any level. Especially considering net neutrality falls squarely into libertarian school of thought.

The reason TOR (or any other peer2peer) networking can exist is because data passing through has to be treated in a neutral way. What would be the quickest way to kill p2p? QoS until it is unusable.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Using force to conform a service provider to an arbitrary and politically heated standard is not something very libertarian.

Any QoS or packet shaping can be defeated with a little effort, unless the QoS/blackout is entirely based on the routing table. In that case the only thing particularly hindered is sharing of large files, simple page transfers with a few GIFs arent a big deal and TOR has always had huge latency and low bandwidth anyhow.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Addendum: The answer to any net issues is for the govt to not so blatantly favor a few well-lobbied and DHS-friendly providers. Govt makes it harder for smaller telcos/ISPs to compete, which is the only reason "net neutrality" is even an issue.

The concept of using more govt force/control to "fix" an entirely govt-created problem is what I find so utterly abhorrent.

The whole mindset of "Who cares if this govt action/policy creates huge problems... we can just use that fact later to justify more govt actions/policies!" is itself the root of a great many of our societal issues.

2nd addendum: If you want to talk solutions that are slightly less libertarian I am all for them. Such as govt treating inet more like highways, and building/facilitating equal-access infrastructure across the country - and letting would be ISPs pay usage fee taxes for "offramp access"/backbone access." Provided of course, that it was completely illegal for the govt to tap in, control, or otherwise tamper with the data - which is typically the sticking point. US Govt as it currently stands just cannot be trusted, which is a shame because if it could be there is actually quite a bit of good that could hypothetically be accomplished.

Last edited by Derid; 04/30/13 09:52 AM.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
There is a lot of (mis?)information that conflicts with my understanding of net neutrality.

Do you want to discuss it?

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
http://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-101

At lot of people I have talked to in the past "when this was a big deal" were confused about whos side they were on. They all knew exactly what they were opposing but didnt understand exactly which side to support.

The article above does a decent job of putting it in a nutshell.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Quote:
What makes all these assumptions possible is "Network Neutrality," the guiding principle that preserves the free and open Internet. Net Neutrality means that Internet service providers may not discriminate between different kinds of content and applications online. It guarantees a level playing field for all Web sites and Internet technologies.

Yes, this is consistent with my understanding of net neutrality.

Derid, what do you think net neutrality is?

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
You as a internet user greatly benefit from our current model of net nuetrality.

The people opposed to net nuetrality are massive ISPs that want to double dip for profits. This would also cripple a lot of start up businesses and overall be negative for the average internet user.

I am all for companies making profit. Hell, I am for companies making A LOT of profit. In my opinion though this is an unethical way for large corporations to produce more profit.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Yes Sethan, no argument here. I am curious what Derid has to say (he has avoided this topic in the past, simply stating he is against NN).

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard