KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Decon Black
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,988,697 Trump card
1,324,443 Picture Thread
474,043 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
\

So a company that is open on a Christian holiday is now evil.
You of all people I thought would applaud this.

Do you also hate the Chinese for keeping the buffet open?
Or how about the Jewish who keep open their business?
You must hate a lot of people.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Yes, because Christmas in Western culture is all about worshiping Christ, and not about family celebration. Plus all these workers - they really don't like spending time with family.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
So then are we to assume that on Christmas you always stay home, never drive anywhere, nor do you shop for anything or take in a movie?

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: sini
Yes, because Christmas in Western culture is all about worshiping Christ, and not about family celebration. Plus all these workers - they really don't like spending time with family.

Who said everyone worships Christ?
You say McDonalds is bad because they are open for business on Christmas.
I said they are catering to all non Christians.

Learn to be consistent.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I understand sarcasm is hard to detect without social cues , so "all about worshiping Christ" was a sarcastic remark. Most people don't even go to church on Christmas Eve.

This could be any holiday, being forced to work on holidays is another way corporations put profit ahead worker's well-being. With union-busting going on in US expect return of 7 days a week 10+ hour work weeks and no paid holidays. Why? Because it is more profitable this way.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: sini
I understand sarcasm is hard to detect without social cues , so "all about worshiping Christ" was a sarcastic remark. Most people don't even go to church on Christmas Eve.

This could be any holiday, being forced to work on holidays is another way corporations put profit ahead worker's well-being. With union-busting going on in US expect return of 7 days a week 10+ hour work weeks and no paid holidays. Why? Because it is more profitable this way.

This is wishful progressive thinking. No companies are going to 7 day 10 hours a day, most will not pay that kind of overtime.
Do you make these things up or is there a site you visit that tells you what to say?
foil

There are maybe 2 holidays in the year that most stores are closed, and this has been for along time, not just lately.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Retail can pay a living wage

Quote:
The average American cashier makes $20,230 a year, a salary that in a single-earner household would leave a family of four living under the poverty line. But if he works the cash registers at QuikTrip, it's an entirely different story. The convenience-store and gas-station chain offers entry-level employees an annual salary of around $40,000, plus benefits. Those high wages didn't stop QuikTrip from prospering in a hostile economic climate.

Many employers believe that one of the best ways to raise their profit margin is to cut labor costs. But companies like QuikTrip, the grocery-store chain Trader Joe's, and Costco Wholesale are proving that the decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity.

Costco pays decent wages, as such I try to do most of my shopping there.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Focus on labor cost reduction is something that I have long considered just another in a long chain of broken management fads, especially when dealing with service market.

People are starting to realize true costs of employee turnover and poor service.

Unfortunately this type of equilibrium finding takes time. First people have to come up with competitive business models that require a higher standard of labor. I think this thinking will continue to expand, especially as enterprises become more data driven and come to quantify the true ROI regarding labor.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I really don't think such "broken management fad" is not unlike dumping toxic waste in the river. People should be going to jail over it, or at the very least government needs to step in and prevent it from happening.

I don't think you would deny that suppressing wages causes very real societal damage?

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Govt stepping in would probably be worse and simply mask the underlying problems.

Of course there are degrees.

But not all sectors are equal. For example, retail is different than manufacturing. Or agriculture. If wages are artificially raised for agriculture for example, then we just see more imports from South America which effectively screws us all in myriad ways.

With manufacturing it just gives... not just incentive but pretext for more work to move overseas, and helps mask other contributing factors.

Ideally, if you want standard of living increases you need real increases in production and competition. Not GDP per se, because that measures non-productive economic activity but real production of competitive goods/services. This even goes back to why our banking system and the bailouts were such a fail - the Goldman Sachs of the world have no eye or care for local conditions or opportunities.

Govt abetted concentration of capital leads directly to slower re-adjustment of the general economy. When real saving are in local institutions, that have real loanable money then you get the kind of capital investments needed for grassroots competition and a wider variety of emergent business models that find the real wage/value equilibrium much more quickly. Our centralized model that has led to concentration of wealth with the 0.01% also directly leads to ossified Main St economy. The capital flows that should be catalyst for economic self-reorganization arent there as they should be, so the natural re-organization of the economy towards more competitive and higher-producing models also lags behind as well.

Lack of competition lets bad business practices continue, and so on and so forth.

If you mask the problem with a spot-fix like major mandatory wage increases without an understanding and addressing of the underlying fundamentals you are just making the problem worse and kicking the can down the road.

I think everyone should have the opportunity to make a livable wage. However, for overall standard of living to increase - and not be dependent as well on continued foreign subsidization, we need long term fundamental fixes not feel-good spot fixes that may in some sectors do more harm than good, and further distort the true value of labor.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard