KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,015,360 Trump card
1,338,556 Picture Thread
477,610 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
anouncement on Launch and Playtest
December 11, 2012 Tasos Flambouras No comments

Dear Friends,

We have come to a decision, not without much internal debate, that instead of commercial release this Wednesday as planned we are going to launch the game for playtesting first. We also believe that we owe the community a thorough explanation for this last minute decisions, so the reasons behind it are the following:

While we have done a lot of internal testing for the game, the platform has been thoroughly field tested, and the game has also been tested by external partners, we have always felt that the game should be tested by the players and last checks corroborate this. Time however was not on our side.

Secondarily, some of the reasons which caused us to slip from our original launch date last month are not yet fully resolved to our satisfaction and a bit more time is needed. For the record, what’s left shouldn’t take more than a few days longer.

Being Greenlit on Steam so quickly was beyond our expectations, this success was 100% community driven and it showed us how important to the community this is. After evaluating the procedure needed for proper Steam integration, we realized that if we launch on schedule it would be impossible for us to launch with Steam.

Despite considering this a setback, we actually also consider it a perfect opportunity to get the community involved directly in the fine tuning of the game features before launching on Steam. We have been working with the dream of making Darkfall Unholy Wars the best competitive experience ever and lack of community feedback would have been a missed opportunity. We also believe that a Steam launch can help the game get the critical mass it needs to be as fun as it can possibly be, and we feel it’s important to have the game tested more thoroughly before this happens.

So now what?

We’re launching a fully playable beta version of the game as soon as we get the build ready. We have a firm ETA for Monday,December 17th. By beta version we mean the game will be running in debug mode so that we can quickly get valuable feedback from playtesting and we can identify and address issues as quickly as possible.

Pre-orders get beta access; we’re making pre-orders available on Friday so you can download the game over the weekend.

Some details regarding the pre-order: returning Darkfall players will get the game at the price of the subscription during pre-order. New players will get the game at a discount. Pre-orders get 30 days of game-time when the game launches, beta access for as long as that is live, plus you can reserve your character’s name. We will also explore offering a head start. Pre-order slots may be limited and will be throttled if needed.

We can focus on playing and working with you to identify any bugs and imbalances and will continue working closely with our players to improve the game so that by the time the game launches it will be as perfect as possible. There will be developer – player interaction on issues that come up, and we want to keep developing a user-centric culture throughout the lifecycle of Darkfall Unholy Wars.

We will also be working round the clock on getting the game ready for a Steam launch with all the Steam features we want integrated.

The Darkfall Unholy Wars launch should happen as soon as we’re cleared to do a Steam launch, we assume that the game will be properly tested by then as well. Our estimate is January after the holidays. We will announce a specific launch date as soon as possible. We need to estimate the exact time it takes to integrate all the Steam features, and to assess what feedback we get from our playtesters.

We feel there are compelling arguments for us to take a little extra time and to involve the community. The very amusing community insider joke “we’ll do it live” is not how we prefer to do things, but in the past we had been forced to by our circumstances or by external factors.

We regret the last minute announcement, we had to agree on this with several parties and get approval from all our departments so we’ve been agonizing over this since last week. We do appreciate your understanding on this, it was not an easy or a pleasant decision for us to make, especially at the last minute, and we feel badly that we’re not true to our word even though everyone at Aventurine has been working extremely hard for tomorrow’s planned release date. However, we also feel that this is the best possible option for the game, for the players, and we promise to make the best of it involving you as much as possible in making Darkfall Unholy Wars reach the potential it deserves.

More information on the playtesting process and on the pre-orders, will become available in separate announcements starting tomorrow. We’ll also be happy to address your concerns and provide answers to your questions.

Thank you for reading.

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Everyone who is surprised raise your hand. I was seriously considering coming back, but now that there is clear evidence that little or nothing has changed with the development team, I'm more leery.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
not sure that was my take on it i saw this coming when they did steam they didnt do it soon enough things like that take time
in essence imo this entire delay is due to steam and them wisely wanting to use it with their launch

my only annoyance is wanting to know about this head start stuff..
i dont want to play beta just to get wiped myself not skill grinding anyhow but if its a beta/headstart then im totally in im curious if we can set up the clan in beta ect and be done before the game starts selling on steam or if we get wiped.

ive seen more than enough from videos alone to be honest that i know a lot has changed in the game that is exactly what needed to be changed which is due to the development team.
i have very few complaints about them atm
other than them not getting steam going before the original launch date

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
The steam thing sounded more like a last minute excuse they could use to earn themselves more time to fix things they hadn't already fixed. That's just more of the same stuff we put up with two years ago. But I don't want to poopoo the game for you guys, just letting you know where I stand.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
The steam thing sounded more like a last minute excuse they could use to earn themselves more time to fix things they hadn't already fixed. That's just more of the same stuff we put up with two years ago. But I don't want to poopoo the game for you guys, just letting you know where I stand.

I agree it is more of the same from them, I expected it when there was no word on anything yesterday. Waiting to launch with steam, even if it is just an excuse for more time, is not a big deal.

Interested to here about the beta details though. I am really hoping its not a cluster fubar pain in the ass for getting in, like it was with EU launch.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
this was expected i just laugh at this company. its sad it takes ediots like this to make games we wanna play why cant the big companies get behind a project like this so its done right. oh well lets see how this turns out hehe i wanna see epic launch fail again.

[CENTER][Linked Image from nodiatis.com][/CENTER]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
I think you guys do not understand Tasos and DF..
Darkfall is and will be on eternal BETA..
This has a good side and a bad side, its the game of his life(Tasos). I read in some place that even at the launch it will not has all features pretended. The good side its Tasos will not give up DF for the next 10 years, what is different from other games that are abandoned by their developers.

DF is love it, or leave it.

And this new launch it will help small and medium guilds(KGB case), and people that didnt play for the last year or +.. because the players will have a chance to test and know what to do for real launch. Also more KGB players will have cool down from others games(gw2 and ps2)m giving them more time to join the faction.

and contrary to Kaotic said, I think this is really about Steam, beta is just to please players waiting.. because that we know the bugs encountered by players until launch will not have time to be fixed.. we know that to fix a major bug Aventurine can take like MONTHS do to that... SO enjoy and play..

Last edited by Mithus; 12/11/12 05:54 PM.

Animal Ethics: "I tremble for my species when I reflect that god is just." Thomas Jefferson.
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Well this is an epic fail. I'm not sure if I want to waste my time playing it. I'm beginning to think Tasos and the DF team likes to shit where they eat. Because right now they just took a huge dump all over their Greek Gyros!

Last edited by Wolfgang; 12/11/12 06:10 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
no, hes playing smart, the possibility to get more some thousands subscribers from Steam is good, he bet on puting in greelight on steam and didnt expect that good response/results, so now he has to run to adapt to steam plataform.

Animal Ethics: "I tremble for my species when I reflect that god is just." Thomas Jefferson.
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com]
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
mithus seems to see it the way i do

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard