Originally Posted by Sini
Originally Posted by Derid
Having an immediate family member having held the office is still a red line disqualifier for me.

I never knew you opposed Bush administration so much.

Really?

I never supported W Bush. The fact that I ended up not liking Obama either is at least largely influenced by the fact that Obama was W Obama Bush in too many regards. Though to be honest, I doubt I'll ever like anyone who becomes Prez that much.

Though there are differences. Hillary getting the Dem nod for '16 made me miss Obama, and Trump getting GOP nod and becoming Prez made me sorely miss Mitt. If Mitt got elected, I'm sure I'd be complaining about some of the things he was doing. But at least I probably wouldn't be stomach turning repulsed.

Originally Posted by Brutal
I'd be willing to be Beto could win on the national stage. Hell, he nearly pulled out the upset of the century here in TEXAS, and had tons of out of state support. I'd vote for him (again).

Well, I'd vote for him against Trump. My worries with Beto, other than not winning his race, is partly how he'd play in Midwest and possibly some other areas. Also, that drunk driving things - not that I hold it against him, but Trump might be able to use it to good effect. (He couldn't even win his own state for Senate, no one wants a lying drunk driver!) Never mind that episode probably had nothing to do with him losing in Texas, its the type of thing Team Trump is good at building a nonsense narrative out of. Then, the fact that he doesn't seem to be super quick thinking on his feet is also a downside. I wasn't impressed in his debates vs Cruz. Maybe he would improve that part of his game during Dem primary season, if he did my estimate of him would rise - but right now I worry about him facing a Trump gaslighting him with endless BS and him not being able to pivot with sharp or effective responses and losing his way in the river of media sludge.

If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be so. I'd be happy for just about anyone but Hillary or Bloomberg to beat Trump tbh.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)