Originally Posted By: JetStar
Any reason why we are not considering this for all of KGB?

Indeed, Discord was suggested by our recruitment officers because many of the BDO players are using Discord because of the community run "world boss" announcements that are generated by server-channel there. So while you are playing, you can get notified when world bosses are spawning so you can position yourself beforehand.

I have used Discord in the past, and have been using it as a replacement for my own personal games/comm since Dolby Axon has now officially closed shop. The sound quality of Discord, is very high (almost as good as Dolby Axon - which also featured positional audio). It also provides the text chat #channels like slack does (where videos/images/etc can be linked or pasted into chat).

I would say that the only thing that Discord does not do is allow officers to have a sub-channel "whisper" chat - I am certain that could still be implemented (by creating a separate channel for officers only and binding a key to toggle/chat there for example), but lets just say that isn't built-in functionality. Alternatively, we could use TS specifically for that functionality as you can run TS and Discord at the same time.

JetStar, if you would like - we could certainly open up a wider KGB test for Discord and let folks give it a shot. Everyone that I have talked to personally DEFINITELY enjoys Discord more than TS, and appreciates the additional features. I don't think we left the vote open long enough to capture everyone's votes - but given the folks actively in-game using Discord, all I have heard is GOOD things about Discord.

Oh, something else that Discord offers is webhooks so you could tie bots or things to respond/notify into Discord like slack is doing right now.

Here is a link for the channel Widget (who's online/etc) --> Widget

Here is a link for anyone whom wants to pop into the BDO chat and check it out. --> https://discord.gg/xThgD3g
(note - once you connect Roles will need to be granted or you can't leave the General chat area, we set the security up similar to TS)

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers