The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Purgatory Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 01:07 AM
As many of you know I have been recruiting a lot of new players from the Steam sale. We as a group need to be proactive and get them in groups and out doing their kill feats. PvP is fun but if they do PvP all the time and don't work on prowess they won't ever become viable in PvP as more than just a meat shield.

We need to express to them that they need to be proactive and start groups on their own. This is the #1 thing I am pushing with the new guys.

I have created a bag in the bank named "New Players". Please put pieces of the 1st and 2nd armor for each class in the bags I have named. Simple, Fine, Padded, Studded, Chain, and Scale. Please also place arrows, dust, and beads as well as 2h greatsword in the bags. If you can donate mounts I would really appreciate it as I have burned through about 60 mounts so far.

If we can gear these newer players out with lowby gear none of you guys use they will gain prowess quicker and become viable assets to KGB. I have been running them around the Human newbie area showing them the best area to grind gold and arrows/dust/beads.

Please make it an effort to group and help these guys out, a month from now once they are leveled they will be standing side by side each of us and protecting our backs.

I wanted to say thanks to Luxor for the chain pieces and Brommas for the gold they have already donated to the cause. Remember the faster we get these guys leveled up the quicker they can start donating the mats the guild needs like fossils.

Thanks for the support of the people who have been helping me out with getting these guys setup on forums, ts3, and the game as well.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 01:58 AM
To an extent I can see this viable. However, at this stage of the game it's hard to go out of the way and gear 20-30 people that you have gathered during the steam sale. It's really commendable and I am impressed by your work. I personally don't have the time right now to do nearly as much recruiting as you have maybe in the past. However, in truth only 10% of these individuals if that will remain with the guild. Others will use us for our resources and possibly spies among the rest. Gearing all of them is not viable. The best way will be to group and learn more about these individuals and see who will be a support to the KGB family in the long run. That's the problem with mass recruiting nearly 90% of the people you recruit have ill intentions. The job is to find that 10% that have the same ideals as you.
Posted By: Paxten Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:42 AM
It's a good thought but don't they need too realize that if u engage and your not ready or you did something stupid that you pay for your mistakes.. I'm all about getting fresh blood but they need to know the reality of the game. Or we gonna provide them spiked and intricate when they expect that too
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:19 AM
This is just my personal opinion and mine alone. I think they should stay near and around safe zones until the get a better grasp of the game. Helping them with some of the things they need is OK, but we shouldn't be totally gearing them out. They need to have a stake in gathering resources to make their gear as well. It's like feeding a wild animal. If you keep giving them food then cut them off they won't know how to do it themselves when they really need it. That would lead up to frustration if they expect for everyone to gear them out. I would suggest for you not to give to much either, you may do all the work only for them to bail and go elsewhere, which in darkfall seems to happen more often than not.

But first thing is first, let them get all the safe zone mobs feats out of the way. That would be my suggestion.
Posted By: Vuldan Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:29 AM
Isn't it a crazy, crazy world. Purg, one of the first things you have done I agree with. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it's a bad idea. Just tell us what you need, and as you continue, I bet you help retain more than Zhou's statistical 10%. I have materials and some money for this. How many sets you need?
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:31 AM
I've geared them all so far. Giving them 2-3 gears bag of the starter gear isn't going to break us and its only going to be usable for the first couple thousand prowess. By that time they have enough prowess and know how to go out and gather their own materials for gear. This is just to get them off the ground and to give them a slight boost in hitting their first 3k prow.

I am not talking about giving them gold, or high end gear. No where in my post did I say I wanted to give them spiked and intricate. I said simple, fine, chain....

And you are correct only 20-40% of these people will stay. but giving them 2-3 sets of simple/chain isn't a big deal.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT dontate anything above the starter gear. I am teaching them all how and where to gather resources for them to make the rest of their gear.
Posted By: War Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:45 AM
I think its a good idea however better to give a fishing pole than a fish.
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Vuldan
Isn't it a crazy, crazy world. Purg, one of the first things you have done I agree with. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it's a bad idea. Just tell us what you need, and as you continue, I bet you help retain more than Zhou's statistical 10%. I have materials and some money for this. How many sets you need?

There is a bag in the clan bank named "New Players" inside is a bag for mounts and all 4 classes. Inside each bag is a bag for pieces of the 1st and 2nd armor class. Example, Simple and Fine. When I get a complete set I make a Go Bag which I then give to new players when I recruit them.

So if you can make some complete sets of Chain, Simple that would be most beneficial and turn them into Go Bags in the bank. Also mounts would be beneficial.
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: War
I think its a good idea however better to give a fishing pole than a fish.

I am teaching them all how to gear themselves don't worry!
Posted By: War Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:50 AM
I know you are bro as with vuldan let me know if u need anything
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 04:14 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lz9-THS6TAbPpAFduupLFCD_RLXQEav7rG581YP7Kms/edit?usp=sharing

I am putting together a little newbie guide for new recruits. Please don't change anything on the document, put comments on it. I will read the comments and change it if I think it improves the doc or discuss the comment with you until we come to the best conclusion.

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Brommas Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 04:17 AM
I think this is great. This kind of effort is what will make us strong. Purg has has taken the first step and gotten these people to the door. The next step is for the rest of us to show them what it means to be KGB and how to survive in Darkfall. I encourage all of you Vets to take one or more of these new people under your wing. Teach them in TS3, take them out to help with feats, and stress that they do the same for the next round of recruits. We must must continue to recruit while we can or we will be back to not even fielding 1 group during prime time. Sure some of them will quit or maybe go to other clans but some of these people might be life long members or the next guy to save your ass in a fight.

I fully support you in this Purg and will help when and where I can.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 05:06 AM
Purg, send me a list of what you need and I will provide it from my personal stock.
Posted By: War Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 05:45 AM
Sounds like you should make purg a recruitment officer jet. To hunt new blood. I would vote yes for him :). Would give him bank access and a bag were members could drop chain mail and other low items from PvP and shit for him to build bags. just a thought
Posted By: Zhou Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Vuldan

Haha. Your might be right maybe a little more than that might stay. I like to throw a low number out there so if its better I'm not disappointed.

There nothing wrong with trying and I'm not trying to turn him away from doing it either. Over the years of mass recruiting hundreds upon hundreds join and less than a hand full actually stay. You can't deny that plenty have used us for all the reasons listed. Crap even my DF friends list has over 50 ppl that were with us in the beginning and no longer around.

This is a full loot PVP game. They need to learn to stand on their own feet and have someone give them pointers along the way. Were not a starter guild or stepping stone to get geared and prowess to move on. This isn't WOW.

This is just my own stance on it. I don't like the mass recruiting model of gameplay. Its one thing to find a few guys here and there and grouping with them and find out hes a good fit. Many of the current people will leave or will eventually get pushed through recruiting and just vanish. Usually happens but the bonus of that few that stay will always be a plus.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: War
Sounds like you should make purg a recruitment officer jet. To hunt new blood. I would vote yes for him :). Would give him bank access and a bag were members could drop chain mail and other low items from PvP and shit for him to build bags. just a thought

That would be up to Mor essentially and he pretty much is already doing the job basically.
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:25 PM
I don't like mass recruiting either but this is about to only opportunity to bring in new players to reach our 4 group goal. Once this steam sale is over there won't be many fish in the sea.

When I joined I had people give me gear I still can't use. The way I look at it is if they leave they are going to leave. A couple bags of starter gear and a couple monts isn't going to make a difference to my supply in the long or even medium term, however those that do stay if you give them a little boost in the beginning they become super loyal and clan first mentality is created and those same people end up giving back to the clan tenfold instead of only worrying about themselves because this is a full loot game.

You should hear them after I give them a couple sets of simple and they get their boosters. They say stuff like "Wow this makes farming so much easier" and "Man Purg we don't need you here anymore to kill everything for us."

You guys talk like I'm gearing them in full intricate and plan to for the rest of the game. I give them a couple sets of starter armor, a couple mounts, take them around to Scumling, salamanders, zombies, goblins, and skeleton spawns and once they get their first booster I shove them out in the real world on their own. Not only have I helped them boost the rate at which they gain prow but I've also showed them how to gear themselves and were to grind for ammo. Those that stay will loyal and clan centric for life instead of their number 1 priority be me me me. We need more clan centric members!

The only reason I even made this thread is I could use some help as I've about burnt through my resources. A lot of guys have stepped up and I have a pretty good stockpile going again. Few more things like mounts and some of the bigger pieces of armor like the chest helms and legs are needed. What I plan to work on today after work but help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Valaria Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:32 PM
Purg I think what they are worried about is the Clan bank itself funding this as a whole. Which is impossible. The clan bank cant keep up on its own.

Also in the past we have done stuff like this, and it made people lazy and expect the clan to gear them. If you are ensuring that they will go out and gear themselves when all their starter gear is gone, then I have no issues. But if they keep asking they will be told no eventually.

If you have people dropping already made stuff, that changes a lot.

I tend to hit the armor and weapon crates in safe zones frequently, i have added what i had into those new member bags. This takes absolutely no resources from me or the clan and still helps. As those crates always give stuff for low levels.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:40 PM
My schedule it too hectic right now in a shortened summer term and work I get maybe an hour or two tops to get on at night. I don't have the time or resources to spend on all the new people.

On a side note tho I did give Val all my junk gear I've collected for awhile including Cloth,Leather,Plate, pots, and some weapons. I'll never use it, so hope it helps.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Valaria
Purg I think what they are worried about is the Clan bank itself funding this as a whole. Which is impossible. The clan bank cant keep up on its own.

Also in the past we have done stuff like this, and it made people lazy and expect the clan to gear them. If you are ensuring that they will go out and gear themselves when all their starter gear is gone, then I have no issues. But if they keep asking they will be told no eventually.

I tend to hit the armor and weapon crates in safe zones frequently, i have added what i had into those new member bags. This takes absolutely no resources from me or the clan and still helps. As those crates always give stuff for low levels.

This^

Leave it to Val to express it much better :)
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:43 PM
Also if you guys wanna know my method to try recruiting some people this is what I do. I ride a circut around the newbie spawns until I find a tangles new person. I heal them a couple times and then send them a private message and say hello in area chat. I then spaz out in front of them jumping all around until they see my message in one of the two areas.

I invite them to the party and we start killing the spawn. I talk to them in party chat for 15-30 minutes. Then if they pass my first series of questions like where and why did u pick up darkfall, did u play df1 and with who, ect I invite them on TS3.

At this point I get to know them a little better and answer any questions they have about the game. I give them Uzis YouTube video series, a darkfall map, and darkfall info.com. I talk to them about past games, about what they want to do in darkfall, their age, where they live, what they do.

This is about 30-45 minutes of grouping with them. I usually talk about classes and the general guideline to putting prow early on to get the most out of a new character. Some ask me about KGB at this point, some I ask if they are looking for a clan if no red flags popped up. I've not invite several to TS3 and even wrapped it up on TS3 and bid them a good day if red flags went off like they didn't like application processes or they didn't want to get on TS3.

If they are interested I usually lead with the pizza. Followed up with some history of KGB and the sponsorship recruitment process. Them I talk about blood alliance, not causing a stink in clan alliance to talk with morlander instead, bartender, how to get involved and x up for groups.

At this point I have them complete the prileminary reqs of making a forum account with their exact ingame name, then applying to the guild in game. At this point I go did Mor, Lux, Zhou, Val, or jet and they take care of the admin stuff.

I then take the new people around to the spawns I talked about above and farm a little in each area telling them what good drops here, how to gear themselves, ways to gain prow, and finally bring them back to sanguine and give them a couple bags and mounts as have them join the newbie party that goin in sanguine.

This entire process takes about 2-4 hours and I really think it gives people a leg up ad they will stick around at a much greater percentage.
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Valaria

Exactly, I am not looking to take resources away from the clan bank. I am looking for the trash gear none of us will wear anymore we get from loot, chests, and crafting to raise our ability. Lux dumped a bunch of pieces he crafted of simple into the bag as he was raising his crafting skill. That's perfect.
Posted By: Valaria Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 03:57 PM
Purg, I Have consolidated a lot of your New player bags and our old class set bags into 1 location. Far easier and less clutter in the main root of the bank. You will see when you open it. Very easy to see and grab from. We are also reaching a point where some of those classes really dont need more donated at this time.

We dont want to fill the bank to the point that we can not use the Bartender order system.
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 04:05 PM
Sounde great ill take a look when i get home from work. Once the steam sale is over I had planned to let you salvage a good portion of it and use it for the clan. We will only need to keep a dozen or so once the influx of new players to the game is finished.
Posted By: Purgatory Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 04:30 PM
Actually ill put together as many complete gear bags as possible with what we have then let you salvage the remaining once I grind the gold and we can just leave the mats in a bag and see if twy are needed. After steam sale is over we can dump the mats into another project.
Posted By: War Re: Recruitment and How You Can Help - 07/22/13 04:44 PM
Purg just make it clear its a one time bag Keep up the good work. I've seen this same thing in churches before after being burned a few times its easier to stay a certain core than keep taking chances and building. It's a simple fact you recruit 50 on the hopes of keeping 3. All you can do is keep recruiting and see what cream rises to the surface. If were lucky we get a few like Val, Zhou wolf etc Keep the faith brother and work for that goal.
© The KGB Oracle