The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 10:27 AM
Its been almost 2 years since there was a case in the supreme court. The last official active faction was WOW under High Chancellor Raekwon.
Since that time we have grown apart. Many of us do our own thing with other KGBers. Still we do not have the unity to all swear to a new world.
Maybe there is just not a world out there that we all want to get in to. Our last experience as a Official Faction saw the downfall of KGB interest and ultimately, out most skilled players grew tired of the world and retired.
Many of us lust for Darkfall, which to be honest, is still vaporware. Is it time for us to pick a world and start to train in working together and knitting a close bond that will be needed in our next big challange?
Lots has changed since our last official presence. Based on lessons learned from out past combined experiences, there has been a complete rewrite of the KGB Constitution and Articles of Confederation. Faction leaders are now accountable to the membership and their terms limited and subject to review by the membership as a whole. If you havent read the changes, I encourage you to read the entire document again since its total rewrite, which was approved by the KGB Senate.
The question that I pose here is simple. Should we all agree to take part in a gaming world that existists today, to hone our skills and team work for the next big challenge?
Should all of us come together to form the trust and bonds that are needed to succeed in MMORPS's today?
Here is what I propose:
A public vote on the simple issue, then is there is sufficient demand, a fair majority choice as to what world we should use to make our training home.
Lets all work together to make the first choice:
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 04:29 PM
I don't know... what I always liked about the KGB was that it had such wide scope was that someone would always be playing a game you were interested in, and you could play it together. Not necessarily how it is with a lot of other gaming guilds that if you lost interest in the game you pretty much fall out of contact with the entire guild. I don't think we should all descend upon one game/server just to hone our skills, I mean, we're a group with many varied interests, and not all of us might enjoy the game. So what, we're going to force a bunch of people with no interest in say: Vanguard, to dish out $50 plus 15 a month as well as time they may not be able to dedicate to games at the moment just to try our constitution out?

We're in a transition phase between games right now, so we're not playing right now, big deal. We have plenty of members checking the forums and relaying information to other members on a daily basis, and that's good enough for me.

That's just my take on the issue.

I think KGB Citizens should continue to work independently, but if at all possible, it should be encouraged that we play on the same server. Then again I'm trying my hand at Burning Crusade at the moment, but got dragged into a server other than Altar of Storms by some rl friends. I'm considering making a char transfer though, depending on how serious the KGB would be about winning that world-wide PvP tourney. I want to go to a live showdown in Korea o.o
Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 04:32 PM
there is no worlds to pick from unless you are wanting to go into Vanguard but from what i understand you need one hell of a machine and making a hasty decision to get into a world and organize a faction in a short amount of time with no planning can be disasterous. Anyone remember the very early days of SB,? Me and Vuldan rallied intrest in Shadowbane after a horrible beta none of us had intrest well Vuldan ignited the spark to play and we got a faction together and that part was sucessfull but all of the drama and trouble in the early days wasn't probably worth it.
While shadowbane turned out to be a success for KGB anyone who was there in the early days must remember the hardships those founding members faced.

I don't see a rush for us going into the next big game. But maybe the focus should not be on Darkfall but a game that looks like it will actually come out. Age of Conan or something of the likes.
They are coming out with the LOTRO while that isn't really KGB's cup of tea it's due out in April and while it is somewhat boring it may be something for the fans
Posted By: Crimthan Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 04:33 PM
Forcing everyone in the guild to play the same game is a bit too much in my opinion. What if a good member of KGB HATES the game that many others want to play? That person now has to fork out $50 to buy something he/she hates, plus pay the monthly fees? That just doesn't make sense.

Quote:

They are coming out with the LOTRO while that isn't really KGB's cup of tea it's due out in April and while it is somewhat boring it may be something for the fans

After testing this game, I found my predictions to be quite accurate. It was basically EQII/WOW Itemcentricity with WOW quest rewards and EQII graphics. They basically took the holy name of Tolkien and LOTR, ripped it into pieces, and prostituted it before the masses.

I really miss the development team from 1999 that was working on Middle Earth Online. That had much more innovation and would have given Tolkien a smile from ear to ear. Of course, all the developers from that original game were fired for their "innovation" and replaced with the same ol mass-market developers, giving us the grand piece of cloned feces that is about to be released.
Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 04:35 PM
i dont think that is what he meant, i think jet is getting kinda trigger happy to see kgb in large force again
Posted By: Crimthan Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 04:38 PM
I know that's not what he meant, Elph. He's throwing options out there to see what the members think, and I voted and just announced what I think. And I edited my above post to reflect your post about LOTteRy Online.
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 05:15 PM
Yeah I got into the LotR beta a few days ago, and you're absolutely right, Crim, it's shit. Add the fact that there's not even the dim hope of PvP in the future, and what's the point.

I think Crim and I see eye to eye on this one, you can't just force people to play a game. That's the whole point, it's a game, not a job. It's meant to have fun, from my impressions of what I read on the forums, I don't see me enjoying Vanguard, I don't see anyone enjoying LotR (it's just an attempt to cash in on the franchise, there isn't really enough story in there for you character to participate in for it to even be enjoyable for the fans. It's just WoW in Middle Earth, you're not aiding the fellowship, you're just trying to level, clubbing wolf puppies or whatever.) I'm personally enjoying WoW for the third time now, but i know Crimthan would just find it insulting for us to make him play a game he hate so much for example. Although much of KGB enjoys Shadowbane, another large group doesn't. Same with EVE, or UO, or any other game like that. I think we should just remain patient.
Posted By: Valentein Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 06:08 PM
I voted for the first option. I think that in order to be successful in the future, people need to play together to hone skills.

And the game to be played doesn't even need to be one that came out in the last year or two.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 06:50 PM
That could possibly work if there were a guild fund for buying the game and paying the monthly fee for those members that loathed the game.
Posted By: Garal Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 07:03 PM
I thought Jet said he was going to be drunk all weekend and wouldn't post... :P

I wouldn't want to force anyone to play a game and I don't think that is what Jet is implying either. However, if there were an official faction with a fair amount of people playing I'd most likely give it a try and I think others would as well.
Posted By: Derid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 07:22 PM
I don't understand the part about not having a game we focus on as a guild simply because not everyone might want to play it. I dont think the idea was to kick out everyone who didnt play or anything drastic.

In fact, one could argue that since there is rarely a really *great* games out that appeal to everyone, that having a competitive MMORPG guild not maintaining a presence
in any game for over 2 years is kind of silly.

There are also several free games out and about that are relativly decent compared to other games on the market.

All that being said, I'm still kind of split on the idea myself, but I can see the point of it.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 07:38 PM
The above statement inspired me as to what has potentially made KGB great, and as large as it is:

The Knights of Glory and Beer have had the ability to focus on more than one game simultaneously, succeed in those games, and pull in more competent prospects from each of those games. This has given the guild a great variety of members with various cohesive strengths. This tremendous scope in membership abilities practically ensures the survivability of the Knights of Glory and Beer when other guilds have splintered and/or faltered.

In an age where games are being produced at an exponential rate, with myriads of different goals and tastes in each; it becomes decidedly more and more difficult to find any one game that such a conglomerate Guild can cohesively play.
Posted By: Derid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 08:10 PM

Yeah I agree with that Crim.

Just 2 years since an official faction *is* kind of a long time. Granted, I'm not sure what everyone would play.

Origionally the idea was to have many official factions, I remember back a handfull of years and there were several.

However starting about 3(?) years ago there became an *extreme* resistance to new official factions by KGB Federal leadership. As such, except for WoW, none have been born.

Several potential faction got shot down, even though they had 20-30 KGB already playing. Now in the past months Jet has talked with various groups playing games about factionship but people are now so used to playing as open or loosely affiliated factions that interest in being official has waned.

Not that this is necesarrily all bad, people now look at official factions as something "special" deserving of everyones attention, instead of the old paradigm, where if you were playing a game as a group of KGB it was pretty much expected that you would become an official faction.

But I digress.

Anyhow, I dont think opening a new one and rallying KGB to a random game is a bad thing. Not that I think everyone should or would be required to play, but why not open a faction and start playing it as a full KGB faction just for the sake of playing a game as KGB?

Those not interested can just chill out, and wait for a game they really want to play to come out. I *think* this idea is less about forcing people to do something they dont want to to, and more about Jet wanting to do something official as a guild again.
Posted By: Slinger Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/18/07 09:18 PM
In my opinion, we should not create a closed faction in any game that we've already had a major presence in and has been deemed 'open'. If we were to create a closed faction I would expect it to be in a game that's fairly new (ie, Vanguard). Even though I'm not very interested in Vanguard and most people wouldn't be able to handle it, I suppose I'd be willing to play it if we had a closed faction. However, it just doesn't sound like the kind of game KGB was designed for. I can only think of 3 games that I feel KGB has been able to fulfill it's purpose in since the creation of the guild, even though I wasn't present for several factions. Those 3 are Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot (PVP Servers), and Shadowbane; I think these are the only 3 because they're the only ones that have allowed for the immediate punishment of griefers and the like, at least of the games I'm familiar with.

If we were to create a closed faction in Vanguard I would expect it to be on the perma-death server, as it would give us a much greater purpose than just competing for gear and levels, and it would separate the play style from that of WoW.

So, I voted that we should not start an official faction, but that was before I considered that KGB could carry out their duty of protecting the innocent on the perma-death Vanguard server.

I really hate grinding for gear and levels when I know that the endgame is basically just a slow-pace FPS with no consequences aside from reputation.
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/19/07 12:57 AM
Quote:

I thought Jet said he was going to be drunk all weekend and wouldn't post... :P

So true, I just could not resist. Part of me feels like we are drifting apart, and yes, I am still drunk.

I think part of it is the fact that I face my 40th Birthday in April, and I certainly dont feel like I have been alive for 40 years. Time flies.

Part of me wonders if we can come together as one, as we have in the past. There are so many offerings, in the old days, when we had our greatest success, there was only a small number of possibilities.

This and an empty bottle of Rum drove me to make this post.
Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/19/07 04:30 AM
we haven't been w/out game for 2 yrs
wow went open in or around Sept 05 so it's just been a little over a yr
Posted By: Derid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/19/07 06:53 AM

I think it was efectivly dead since before that though wasnt it?
Posted By: Ken_Kamillion Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/19/07 10:27 PM
Well jet ryu myself khi mei seaelf are playing vanguard. Yes u need a hella of a computer to run the game but its not a bad game its like wow but u can kill everyone and there momma. Considering every enemy kgb has faced is in this game OPP including jackal,pandeoium,LOD, we are in prx due to the fact there the only anti pk guild on the server=). I have no idea what game there is that we as a guild can make a impacted on. Truthfully Jet all games have turn carebear style and its really gay. Atleast on vanguard i can kill who i want,but it is grinding at its finest. I feel like jet seems we are growing apart from each other and there is only a select few that play games with each other.
Posted By: Ken_Kamillion Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/19/07 10:31 PM
O ya my vote find something to play and get our GUILD mentality back. When df comes out we will be sitting ducks due to the fact we all are on separate pages.
Posted By: khi Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/19/07 10:37 PM
we can wait abit longer though and i really like vanguard but it does take a up to date comp to run...so will darkfall

i went with option 2
Posted By: Valentein Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 03:39 AM
Quote:

O ya my vote find something to play and get our GUILD mentality back.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 05:06 AM
i like vanguard so far so many of our old rivals or here and even some old friends.
Posted By: Winter Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 08:17 AM
I voted that we choose a game however, there isn't really a game out right now that peaks everyones interest. So my vote is based on games that may be coming out soon. Until then we have a large group that plays UO, large group that plays wow, and smaller groups that play a gamit of games and that is also good for KGB.

The different PvP styles in the different games will allow KGB members to learn different fighting methods that they can share when we do find a game that holds a majority interest. I would love to see KGB enforce like it was on UO and WoW but at the moment there is no one world that a majority is interested in. Vanguard seems to be something that people are talking about but like myself not everyone can afford to upgrade the computer, buy the game, pay the monthly fee and invest the time to catch up with everyone else that is already started.

That was my pull of returning to UO, within 2 days your char is done and ready to go with the rest of the group, I didnt have to upgrade anything and I dont have to pay to play, not to mention it brings back an old nostalgia if a time period that I loved being involved in.

I love KGB, I am utterly devoted and I know that KGB will survive this lull in gaming like it has before. Yes during these "down" times our membership slows down but our core group remains the same and grows a little even during these times. So we choose, but we wait to choose I guess is what I am saying.
Posted By: Vydor Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 12:44 PM
Touch of reality... There will NEVER AGAIN be a single game that all KGB will play as one unless we kick everyone that disagrees with the game choice. KGB has factionized way to much for that. The day of one game KGB died with KGB-Pacific.

A new faction will be born by itself when group of KGB finds a game they like and start playing it. The present leadership has to only encourage/allow that to happen and it will. Forcing it will just fail like the UO idea did.

*slips back in to the shadows*
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 03:08 PM
I voted to choose a game, and jump into it. It won't be perfect, but it may be good. Vanguard sounds promising. Maybe not everyone has a comp that can hack it right now. Even so, my strong suggestion is that we charter an official KGB faction SOMEWHERE, and let those come who can.

But I think we need to pull together somewhere, and it sounds like Vanguard might be a good option. The mere fact that there is an official KGB faction in existance not only will draw current members togther, but it will also serve as a recruitment source for new members. That, if nothing else, is probably the most important reason to open a new faction at this time.

We can no longer afford to coast along as we have done in the past. I thought Darkfall would open a year ago, but that is starting to look like a long wait for a train that don't come. If it arrives eventually, great. If not, let's jump into Vanguard with who is willing to go now, and see where that takes us. In this way, when Age of Conan comes out, or perhaps even Darkfall, we will not only have our vets at the top of their form, but we will potentially have picked up new members as well.

It may well be that the KGB will never all be involved in a single game again. When other games arrive, we will consider them in due turn. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do something NOW. We have idled long enough. It is time to raise the KGB banner. Let those who are willing answer the call!

PS: What is the story with sigs, anyway? They have be on again, off again for a week or two now.
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 04:26 PM
Well, I for one have decided to get off my can, and vote in the only way that means a damn thing. I'm picking up Vanguard, and jumping in. Probably won't roll my char until tomorrow night, 'cause I have a hot date tonight.

Remember, even a mediocre plan done with maximum violence NOW is better than a perfect plan done in a half assed fashion later.

Posted By: 5050 Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 05:32 PM
An interesting dilemma to work through. I voted option 2 as it seems the best. Teamwork is crucial in any game you play with others and it would seem that the teamwork skills learned in any game are essentially transferable... just have to learn the class instead of the ship as an example between EvE and Vanguard. I would hesitate to "dictate" a game, if I am reading and understanding this correctly (pardon me if I am not) in that once a game comes out that "draws" I think there will be no trouble pulling together as a guild as kicking ass and taking names as has been done before. Till Darkfall of AoC releases I think letting people work their skills in the game of their choosing makes logically sense to me.
Posted By: Ken_Kamillion Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 05:34 PM
Well i agree with vydor i mean i havent seen kgb on a game since UO sb had alot of us. i hate to admit but i was talking with donk and he is right kgb titles mean nothing we are just a forum guild right now.

when df comes out trust me it will be another sb even though i like the idea of derid leading us but i dont think it will matter no unity. We are a guild and we should start right now to unite as one before DFO or AOC comes out so we are all on the same page. i think everyone can play sb vanguard is kinda of extreme but if we find a game that we can play and work on teamwork. We need teamwork even the guys that has been in kgb for years we need to practice.

There is a old quote i heard all through baseball from little leagues to my senior year in highschool. Practice dont make perfect perfect practice makes perfect.
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 05:56 PM
Quote:

... I think letting people work their skills in the game of their choosing makes logically sense to me.

I have to disagree here - game mechanics are trivial. Anyone can do that in whatever game there is. We are talking computer games here, not rocket science. Far more important is building the teamwork and relationships among everyone in the KGB - you can't do that if you are grinding your skills in one game, others are camping a spawn in a different game, and I am poking yet another game with a stick to see if it shows any sign of life.

It's the team work and coordination in a single game that matters. Time was that KGB was big enough that we could have a group in UO, another in DaOC, and yet another in some other game, and we would have a significant presence in all of them. This was great. I could follow and appreciate the exploits of the KGB in a game that I wasn't even playing, because we always had enough folks in a particular game that the KGB could make an impact.

6 people in one game, and 7 people in yet another, and 1 or 2 people of soloing in yet other games still does not make an impact. I think we need to pull togehter and rally round the flag so that we can try to achieve critical mass somewhere. Once we do that, getting that good old 'Hate the KGB' feeling rekindled in the groups we love to grind beneath our collective boots, and things will get moving again.

Or we can sit around and wait for the next big thing to come along.

Damn.

If I wanted to do that, I'd have joined CxC!
Posted By: 5050 Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 07:14 PM
I am afraid I did not phrase all of my response very well. Believe me when I say that I highly value teamwork... which is what I meant when I said skills... as in teamwork skills. I was alluding to the groups of 7 or 8 in the game holding their interest honing those skills. Obviously for larger groups you would need a game of consensus to work on those "skills" as in large group tactics etc. If it is the opinion of the majority that the large group tactics etc need to be honed prior to Darkfall or other "vaporware" is released to ensure the strenght of the guild then that is surely the way to go.
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 07:32 PM
Ah, I misunderstood, then. But if you want to be able to hook up with 7 or 8 in a game on a reliable basis, then you have to have 30 or more playing the game at any one time. People are on different schedules, different time zones, and have different amounts of time that they can devote to gaming, so it you have 8 people in a game, it's likely that only one or two will be on when you are on, if you are lucky. We saw that on WoW before you and Taxman came over to the KGB, and we've seen it again in Eve.

That level of activity isn't exactly epic...

That is what I mean by achieving a critical mass. When you have enough people in a game where you can find a good group to run with regardless of the time of day you check in, then things begin to happen. You become known, and you have a presence, and before you know it, you can field 30 or 40 or more if you schedule a surge.

It's all in the numbers, and right now, the KGB has insufficient numbers to do well if we are fragmented across multiple games.

That's just the cold hard truth of it...
Posted By: 5050 Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 07:37 PM
True enough my friend, true enough.
Posted By: Slinger Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 09:01 PM
We could all buy Counter Strike Source and only use knives and pistols. We could call targets and pretend it's an MMO, it would be cheap and build teamwork, haha...
Posted By: khi Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 09:16 PM
just reading u guys post is getting me excited i miss loggin in a game a seeing my kgb family and those times where i couldnt sleep and loggin in and seeing the graveyard crew gaming it up and waking up to the mourning crew trying to get their game on before work/school would be fun to have that again

if i could i would change my vote to option 1 lol
Posted By: Slinger Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 09:25 PM
I'm with you Khi, my blood is pumping just thinking about playing with a big group of KGB again...
Posted By: Derid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/20/07 11:42 PM
Quote:

We could all buy Counter Strike Source and only use knives and pistols. We could call targets and pretend it's an MMO, it would be cheap and build teamwork, haha...

L O L

TBH though, we could do the same with guildwars, at least the playtype would be similar to an MMO.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/21/07 12:04 AM
Quote:

Battlefield 2 is better for this.
Posted By: Vydor Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/21/07 02:25 AM
Owian, so pick a game, get some ppl and apply for factionship with the senate or however its done now. Then the guild is doing "something". All anyone needs to do is, well do something.

I am homeless in Virginia right now, tapping free net access where I can cause of a stupid paperwork delay on my house so as for anything else, pm Jet.
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/21/07 01:42 PM
I got Vanguard last night, and my girlfriend and I got as far as creating my 'toon before we turned to other things...

I suppose there are about 8 or 9 of us in Vanguard now, we'll see where that goes.

Jet, care to join us? That would go a long ways to encouraging the rank and file to step up...
Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/21/07 03:34 PM
i won't even touch vanguard for the simple fact everyone says you need such a beast of a machine, i have a computer that is just over a month old but i bet it couldn't even touch vanguard.

my huge issue is paying for subscriptions again it has been so long since i have, we had a brief stint with daoc but i didnt' even like shelling out that much.

I am probably sad to say that my gaming capacity with KGB is pretty much null. When i do get a chance to game it's for a very short period of time and I will fall behind in alot of the leveling games, so I just don't feel that this time that I am much of a gamer anymore. Between the kids/boyscouts etc I don't have much time to sit in a game without afk'ing majority of it
And it would put me major behind in the game. Like with Wow when I joined i was way behind in lvls since everyone had been in for awhile once I got up a bit higher it wasn't bad but for the many of my first levels i was alone and that was boring
Derid WoW was dead really dead about a month before it offcially went open. so it wasn't that long before.
Me and Donk had kept alot of intrest for awhile before it totally peetered out

I was watching Vanguard but the big thing that is turning me off about it now is how max of a system you need
Posted By: Taxman Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/21/07 04:56 PM
It is a tough call, but I opted for #2. I can sense the need for #1, but we need to find what works best for us as a whole - not pick one NOW.

It may very well be that Vanguard/PVP IS this game, but if people do not have the hardware/net connection to run it - then they will feel left out. So some research into this would be helpful before a call to arms is made. Keep in mind, what many people PREFER (90+ fps) is far beyond "usable". But folks who are running a 1.8Ghz machine with 256 MB of RAM and a graphics card that is more than 2 years old. . . *ahem* really need a reality check. If you want to be involved with the guild - you will need a machine that can play more than the "forums". If you have purchased a machine in the last 6 months or so – that should be a "baseline" for a current machine. It may be that you would need to purchase some additional RAM, but not necessarily would you be out of spec for a modern game.

I personally feel the need to unite under a game, hopefully SOON. Perhaps having an open faction to feel the waters is a good idea. To be honest I have not been holding my breath for Darkfall, if I had my face would be changing colors by now.

Like Elph, Owain, 5050, and others I have limited playtime so I want to get the most bang for my buck. I spent weeks grinding up in WOW to apply for the KGB just to have interest peak/fall about the same time. A similar thing happened in the UO-hybrid and now Eve Online. I want to be part of a dedicated group, not playing a Massively Solo Online Game! Spending weeks grinding up to get perma-death-killed because I am running around solo (due to non-participation) does not appeal to me either. Not a big fan of perma-death anyway, because I don’t have hours on end to play/grind my way up again.

So I am continuing to play Eve actively, and may join in the Vanguard trials. A lot depends on what I hear from the folks who are playing Vanguard actively. From what I have heard Vanguard is "utterly-grindtastic" along the lines of the Korean Massively Online Grindfests (Lineage 2/etc). I enjoy Eve because I don’t have to beat on 1000 pigs with a sword to gain in swordsmanship! Nor do I have to kill the Baron 20+ times (ad nauseam) to get him to drop his pants (the gear that I need). In Eve I level over time, whether I am actively playing – or not.
Posted By: khi Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/22/07 12:28 AM
playing on the perma death server was just a option that was thrown out there we are currently playing on tharridon the free for all pvp server
Posted By: Longshanks Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/23/07 03:00 PM
Quote:

I think part of it is the fact that I face my 40th Birthday in April, and I certainly dont feel like I have been alive for 40 years. Time flies.

I hear you Jet ... October for me brings on 40, time just ticks away so quickly.

An old friend once gave me his take on "time flies" ... remember back to grade school, when summer break hit, those 3 months seemed like an eternity at the time.

When your 8, those 3 months are a large percentage of your memory & life for that matter.

Here approaching 40, the same percentage can be measured in years, instead of months ... I can remember 4 years of High School was a long time ... now 4 years seem to fly by in a blink.

But what the hell ... as the saying goes now days ... 40 is the new 20!!!! Rock on!
Posted By: Raekwon Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/24/07 07:28 AM
I feel the best thing for KGB would be to just look at the games our knights are already in and put more effort into promoting them.

We have groups of KGB in Vanguard, Shadowbane, EVE, WoW, UO and some others im sure. Lets help them feel more appreciated for the work they are doing to keep the KGB name in those games.

Picking just one game and telling everyone to move there would just cause alot of hurt feelings. Some enjoy being in the game they are in and the last thing we need to do is make them feel like outcasts since they dont want to move to a game we all only have luke-warm feelings about.

The only games I see worthy of up-rooting everyone from their current game and running the risk of making some feel like outcasts would be Age of Conan and Darkfall, and yes I still think DF is the promised-land. So lets continue to hype these two.

Otherwise people might just leave KGB if forced to move and this plan to unite the guild would end up causing the exact opposite.
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/25/07 09:23 AM
Quote:

I got Vanguard last night, and my girlfriend and I got as far as creating my 'toon before we turned to other things...

I suppose there are about 8 or 9 of us in Vanguard now, we'll see where that goes.

Jet, care to join us? That would go a long ways to encouraging the rank and file to step up...

You bet, I posted about my new PC in another thread. It should be here by March 6th or so.
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/25/07 09:14 PM
Maybe of you posted here, and there were some great thoughts shared. We do actually have an official faction that I overlooked, but the game is still vaporware :-).

With these thoughts in mind, lets workk on playing games and inviting our brothers and sisters to play with us. I think the interest will flow were it may.

I am going to try Van as soon as my PC arrives.

I thin kthe best thing to do for all of us is to get in to Vent and see what others are doing real time. There always seeems to be something happening there.
Posted By: Vydor Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/25/07 11:24 PM
Jet,

If Vanguard is gonna be the next attempt at a faction, then lets not be so half hearted about it. Setup the public and private forums, appoint at least a temporary leader to organize it, and the like. Its these half hearted "Oh you do not need a leader/forums/etc" comments that tell everyone "do not bother, they are not serious about it" and push ppl away.

Either KGB is going to try Vanguard as an official faction, or its not. Any halfway will just kill it before it is born.

*wanders back off to pumping out the lake in his basement*
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/26/07 12:47 AM
I agree, but let me try the game first. I think I have a pretty good feel for if it is goingto be something people are going to want to play.

But yes, if it is, I am going to jump on it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/26/07 01:10 AM
i am enjoying varguard atm and finding a fight isnt very hard. lvling is pretty intense alot like wow maybe a lil easier. we have almost 10 kgb playing that i can count in there mid teens now.
Posted By: khi Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/26/07 10:48 PM
shouldnt be to hard to get up and going its fun playing

just have one piece of advice when starting if u see someone lvling by you and u thought about killin him before he kills u he's thinking the same thing... go with ur instinct lol
Posted By: nethervoid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/27/07 08:13 PM
Many of you probably don't know me, and that's totally fine. I joined KGB back during the SB days, and loved every minute of it. Since then I've created two guilds in EQ (one of which was a raiding guild), but have also been lurking here again for awhile.

When I joined KGB I was really glad to see it was a cross-game guild, because I really wanted to find a guild I could play with through the various ups and downs of the industry, as old games faded and new games were born. It's obvious this guild was set up to be just that. I had a hard time initially sticking to that due to the changes in the industry and how they didn't fit with what I thought was 'a good game'.

Anyway...now it seems Jet (and probably others) has noticed the trend in this guild where vets seem to have become very independent of the guild, and how playstyles of the vets have not been able to converge in quite some time. This is to be expected really.

I think a lot of it has to do with so many people 'living in the past'. I used to be the same way for a very long time.

First let's start with gaming rigs. Back in the day, UO took a beastly machine and a good connection to play. It took this kind of purchase to play in the newest game of that time. Nothing has changed that. If you want to really move into the modern MMO industry and play the new games coming out, you'll have to keep shelling out a boatload every 3 years or so to keep up. There's no free ride, just like there wasn't a free ride 10 years ago. Sure there are free games out there, same with the situation when UO was prime. You could have played a free text MUD on your broken down 386 and a 2400 baud modem. Instead you decided to buy a beefy machine and a 56k modem to play a game with a monthly fee. Do it again!

As far as gameplay, most of us started our MMO careers with UO, and it was an awesome, awesome game in its prime. It was and still is a game left unmatched in the industry.

The problem really is the industry has left the UO Model of game design, and it might never return. Games have evolved a lot since then. The most obvious change being raiding and gearing. What hasn't changed as easily are the attitudes and desires of UO vets. They seem to shun any MMO which isn't a lot like UO: fast leveling, loot on death, items mean nothing, no death penalty, no raiding. Reality is, games are just not built this way anymore.

I used to be like the other UO vets I've seen: if a game couldn't live up to a handful of features UO had, I wouldn't even consider it. Well times change, and so must players. Now I don't try so hard to find the differences between UO and whatever new game comes out; instead I focus in more on the features of the game I do like, and how long I think it might keep my and others' interest. I focus on aspects of gameplay I know I enjoy over others, but if a game doesn't have 'feature x' I don't write it off immediately, like I used to do.

Take WoW for example. I loathed the thought of this game, with its easy death penalty and shallow gameplay. But then I tried it, and instead focused on the things that are really fun about the game: combat, the talent tree, crafting (sorta), and eventually raiding. I'm having a blast in that game now, where as before I was floundering just to find a game I could play for more than ten minutes without being totally bored (sorry EVE).

You know, people here and lots of other people harp on leveling and item-centric gaming, but it's here to stay. Nothing is going to change that. (Even UO had leveling because skilling up in something in effect was like gaining a level.) When we all first started playing, it took a LONG time to get a 7xGM character. Nobody can deny that fact. And yes after we were multi-year vets we could cut that time investment down to just a couple weeks or a few days or whatever. The same can be said of almost every game out there really. But there is no denying that just about everyone loved that initial drive to 7xGM. It was exciting to see your character grow in ability and power. With each step up in power to see a new part of the game, etc. It's the same in every game for the first time around.

The same can be said about Raiding. Raiding is here to stay. For at least a long while now, mainstream games will have raiding. From what I have lurked on the forums, most people here don't seem to like raiding. Perfectly ok. The problem in most games is if you aren't raiding and there's no in-game reason to PvP, the game ends when you hit max level?

I have a hard time understanding PvPing just for PvPs sake. It's just a block I have I guess, so maybe not really applicable. One thing to think about though is there is a large majority of current mmo gamers who do like raiding and also pvping. PvP guilds can have a lot of fun, but I think there are a lot of people who play nowdays who would like to do PvP and Raiding. No reason to limit yourself to just one. And with that raid gear, you can now better defend or attack. That sounds pretty cool to me actually. Now you can't just be a good pvper to be a top-teir guild, you have to be good at raiding too. Adds more challenge.

Now I'm not really trying to argue about whether or not leveling a character or raiding is 'fun' or 'not fun'. Arguing against gameplay preference is futile because people are just different, and that is actually a really good thing. I think a game which caters to several different playstyles is actually vastly superior to a game which does not. UO is the prime example.

Let's face it; PvP is so much more fun when there's something to fight over. If you take out crafters and PvEing, what's left to fight for? In UO, you guys fought for the crafter or PvEer: anti-PKing. You had a cause. In SB, we fought for the right to our farming area and our city. We fought against those who would destroy our city and take our farm areas. That's what made that game awesome. If we have nothing to fight over, what's the point of PvP really? Personally, that kind of PvP gets boring really fast. Even then, I still like to have different things to do because only having one thing to do gets old too: raiding, pvp, crafting, etc. They all get boring just by themselves, IMO. Mix and match for the win.

But to really get back to the point: this guild is slowly deteriorating the longer it stays disconnected from the gaming community. We have no avenue to add members to the guild when we have no presence in any game. Members are sure to leave, but you have no way to replenish them. At that point it seems pretty obvious you will need to maintain at least one major presence in some major game. Some way to let the gaming world know we're out there. Sure there will be small lapses, and some members will move on during those periods, but you must sustain a presence as best as possible. Having more than one big presence is great, but at least one is almost mandatory.

Now each presence will probably not start out with a ton of KGBers, but KGBers will be added as KGB makes itself known in each new game. You have to recruit just like it's a brand new guild, e.g. Shadowbane. You'll get new KGBers to refill the ranks of those who left at the end of previous presences.

Which then begs the question, who stays? From what I've seen so far, it seems like those who stick around in-between games are those who will lead the stab into the next game. Lemmings leave; leaders don't follow the crowds and so they stay. Even now KGB has enough leadership quality people to make a good stab at any major title out there right now; we just lack the focus and togetherness to make it happen.

Quite possibly, a few will make that stab, picking up the reins, and will then bring in the next wave of KGB. While those who don't like every aspect of the new game or who won't fork out what it takes to play MMOs will be left to their independent gaming experiences altogether. It sounds like it might be shaping up that way with Vanguard. Either way I don't see any other way to keep this guild vibrant without a hardcore push into a new game.

I said I didn't like Vanguard initially, but I'll play it if we make an official stand there. Sure the level grind can be hard on some, raiding on others, but just thinking about KGB:SB and our plight there and the tension etc, that alone ups my guestimation on the fun level dramatically. Fighting to keep the bad guys out of our guild hall? Fighting over crafting resources or dungeon bosses?! Hell yes!!! 'Hey Nether some craptard is trying to PK me at my house!' 'I'm on my way!' Let's do it! It's like UO, SB, and even some new PvP reasons all rolled into one!

Again, a Hell Yes!
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/27/07 09:11 PM
Well written Nether, and food for though.

I think you are right on, and I should encourage the membership to create official factions in the games they are playing. Even if there is only a handful.

The only problem I see is that a small organization in many games is a big disadvantage. Lets keep the conversation going and try to figure out what the best move here is.

I think getting something official is a MUST though for the reasons you broght up.
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/27/07 09:15 PM
Netervoid

That is one of the very best posts that I have had the pleasure of reading on the Oracle in a very long time. It pretty much says it all.

Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/27/07 11:02 PM
Yeah I definitely agree with Owain and Jet. You're right, I don't know you personally, I've seen you around the forums a bit, but that in no way changes the fact that that was an excellent post. You're right, getting some factions going will definitely be a step in the right direction, but like I said before, and like you said just now, if a bunch of KGB are playing together, a faction should be formed, I don't think we should unanimously decide to start one and all be forced to join on the bandwagon or something.
Posted By: Slinger Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/27/07 11:11 PM
Well what do we have going right now?

Vanguard
Shadowbane
EVE
WoW
and UO?

EVE, WoW, UO, and now SB have open factions going, whether or not they're impressive factions is another story...
Posted By: nethervoid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/27/07 11:27 PM
Quote:

JetStar
KGB High King

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: KGB HeadQuarters, Pentagon Cit... Re: KGB's Future: You Decide [Re: nethervoid]
#132341 - 02/27/07 01:11 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Well written Nether, and food for though.

I think you are right on, and I should encourage the membership to create official factions in the games they are playing. Even if there is only a handful.

The only problem I see is that a small organization in many games is a big disadvantage. Lets keep the conversation going and try to figure out what the best move here is.

I think getting something official is a MUST though for the reasons you broght up.

I definitely agree you can't have a bunch of rag-tag small little factions in every game someone has a stain in their pants to play. It takes a strong push like was done in SB to be done right. The way I would do it is just write up some kind of formal requirements for forming a faction (and maybe that already exists), which would basically be:

- Someone says 'OMG THIS GAME IS LEET!@@!@@!!!!! LET"S START A FACTION!'
- A few people need to step up and say they will run it
- High council (or Senate - I'm a bit rusty on our infrastructure) chooses out of the bunch who they think could pull it off best - Or if they feel nobody in the lot is good enough, nix the project altogether
- Someone is deemed 'good enough' and 'dedicated enough', and that person launches their campaign to basically build a 'guild' for all intents and purposes, using the pre-designed template we have set up (which I think we do)
- They recruit in the game and build the KGB presence in this new game

And there you have it. The hardest part is finding someone suitable to lead it and be dedicated to it. Most of us old-timers have burned ourselves out a time or two at this point in our lives leading stuff like this (lol), so it can be hard to find someone with the motivation and knowhow. That's probably the rarest ingredient of the whole pie.

Quote:

BoSllBibliotequa
KGB Senator

Reged: 12/01/05
Re: KGB's Future: You Decide [Re: Owain]
#132351 - 02/27/07 03:02 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Yeah I definitely agree with Owain and Jet. You're right, I don't know you personally, I've seen you around the forums a bit, but that in no way changes the fact that that was an excellent post. You're right, getting some factions going will definitely be a step in the right direction, but like I said before, and like you said just now, if a bunch of KGB are playing together, a faction should be formed, I don't think we should unanimously decide to start one and all be forced to join on the bandwagon or something.

I agree you wouldn't 'force' anybody to play in this new faction or any others, but the guild as a whole must decide on a game to make a stand in. A sincere stand that says 'We are friggin KGB, and you will recognize!' At this point in the guild's history, the membership needs to get together and choose a game they think will make a big stink for KGB, for the guild, putting aside personal desires. We must all decide which game out right now or in the next few months will be the best game with which to plant our flag. Even if we don't like any of the games on the list, we make that choice to keep KGB alive and help it prosper. Making that choice for the guild instead of for yourself. That's what I think we need to do.

If the decision happens to be the game you want to play, well f'in A that's awesome. If not, sorry about that, but nevertheless support the decision and faction to the best of your ability. Or maybe at least try it out and try to focus on the positive. You might like it! =)
Posted By: Slinger Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/28/07 12:20 AM
Starting a faction is pretty easy, unless it's Shadowbane, then Elph will tell you to go to hell.

You raise interest in the game, say "Hey, I want a closed faction here!" Then you'll be asked who would lead, and you can either nominate someone or propose that you'll lead it yourself. There's some decision making on the federal end, a High Chancellor is appointed, then he/she is responsible to appoint the rest of the officers according to the constitution. If officers are appointed in the appropriate amount of time, your faction is formed!
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/28/07 04:53 AM
This is outlined clearly in the KGB Articles of Confederation, Section 4. We have this down to a science:

Quote:

Section 4:
FACTION CREATION AND MAINTAINING OFFICE
Clause 1:The High King/High Queen shall appoint the High Chancellor of a newly formed faction
Clause 2: The appointed High Chancellor will have 7 days to appoint the other key positions in his or her faction. A High Chancellor would need to appoint a Chancellor and a Vice Chancellor, as well as a Commanding General (G5). Failure to complete this duty would result in the required resignation of the High Chancellor and the process would begin again.
Clause 3: Every 60 days, the High King/High Queen, with the support of Federal Officers, would hold a vote of confidence (1st of every other month). Citizens involved in a specific faction would be required to vote for or against confidence in the current Faction leadership. A Citizen should not vote regarding factions they are NOT involved in. Majority rules. If the current High Chancellor is approved by the membership, then they and their cabinet would remain in office, if voted against, the High King/High Queen would appoint a new High Chancellor.
Clause 4: Any full member of any faction may call for an election at anytime. This is accomplished by making a petition that at least 50% of the active membership of the said faction signs. At that time, the High King/High Queen would hold an election within 10 days of the submission of such a petition.
Clause 5: Elections will be administered by the Prime Ministers under the supervision of the High King/High Queen, and Prime Ministers. Elections will occur on the 1st of every other month.

Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/28/07 02:47 PM
It has nothing to do with Shadowbane the game even though we've been there 500 times..and it never sticks around. You want to create a faction that is "closed" with stipulations to bend the constitution and that is where I put my foot down and is in no way good for KGB
Nethers post was good but I thought it was poor taste to point the fingers and the vets in KGB because that isn't how it is at all.

I would love to see an offcial faction if led by the right people. I am all open for letting a strong and level individual to leading our next faction but we all know that there are certain KGB here who just couldn't cut it no matter how well they would mean. Sometimes people's attitudes and impulse can get them into trouble which would not make them a good leader.
Posted By: Slinger Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/28/07 05:58 PM
Elph, I was just picking on you. :P

<3
Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/28/07 07:58 PM
I know hehe
Posted By: Rathowen Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 02/28/07 09:43 PM
Greetings and Salutations old Friends and Allies of the Defenders.

I see you are in the same situation we of the Order found ourselves most recently.

After WoW we tried to find a resurgence in Shadowbane and then EVE while we waited for Darkfall only to find ourselves without an active chapter in any game shortly after.

It is discouraging but you are not alone.

We have launched a new chapter with the launch of Vanguard and tho we do not have full participation of active Defenders we are doing well and enjoying ourselves. The game has it's drawbacks but I have yet to play an MMO that did not.

It would be great to see some friendly faces on the battlefields of Telon I assure you.

Long live the Knights, Long libe the Defenders !!!
Posted By: Raekwon Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/01/07 07:52 AM
Ahh, DoO, good to hear from you guys again. Hope to see alot of you guys in Darkfall. We'll need more quality guilds like yours around in there as it's sure to be a haven for RPKs and griefers.

Sure both of our guilds will have a focus on empire building but at the same time I know we both volunteer to also take on the job of protecting the innocent and running off griefers!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/07/07 10:28 PM
We need to make a decision on vanguard. one way or another someone let me know something. The way i see it its the game right now to be on enemys and friends from all past games or playing and theres plenty to do.
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/08/07 05:49 PM
Well Ryu,
I just got my machine. So I am going to buy and install the game this weekend.
As for an official faction, do we have anyone willing to lead? How many total members are playing right now?
Posted By: nethervoid Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/08/07 07:07 PM
I'm playing (although switched to Qalian [Khal] - I can't stand the Thestran starting area). Lv 6 or something Cleric (will level more soon - most of my free time I'm currently using to build a new machine).

As far as heading it up a vet would be a better choice for the head than me, obviously, but if whoever decides to lead it needs officer support (and I know that means work), I can help.

Anyway, I'm in, and willing to help whoever decides to lead.
Posted By: khi Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/09/07 12:03 AM
got like 12 so far and more a coming
Posted By: Elph Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/11/07 09:59 PM
It would be good if there was alot of intrest in vanguard and if it goes close faction I hope that the High King would make his decision wisely. Maybe Ryu or Ken would be intrested Seaelf or even Dcengr
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 03/12/07 08:53 PM
I could not get the game over the weekend. I will pick one up tomorrow on the way home from work.
Posted By: JaconClay Re: KGB's Future: You Decide - 05/09/07 11:05 PM
Hmm... I have to admit this is a hard take. I'm strugling with two ideas. I was exctatic to find a gaming community that stretched across multiple games, sharing ideals yet being able to talk and have friends/associtates who have nothing to do with your game.

The idea of a mass movement of guild members to a single game.... It makes my naughty bits tingle. (That was made in jest, I hope that's not inapropriate.) The fact that sheer numbers alone all of us working together with a common goal is going to stand out, make people look at us and take notice. For that alone, I'd join up a game the masses choose.

But back to the ability to play the game.... Since the FBI took my gaming rig and my laptop, I'm stuck playing on a crapy Hewlet Packard PoS. Being a little under 6K in debt it's unlikely that I'll be getting a new gaming rig anytime this year (unless I win the lotto ) let alone buy a new game and be able to pay monthly fees...

While my first love of MMOgames is UO and like they say, "you never forget your first", I'll prolly always have an active account of UO running. But, should the ability arise, I would gladly shell out the cash to join a group of people like the KGB members here in a game like Vanguard or Darkfall.
© The KGB Oracle