KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
chrisbcfc
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,031,829 Trump card
1,341,100 Picture Thread
479,055 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Derid
Or, if costs really did go down, quality and availability will also follow suit.

What quality and availability? Too many uninsured, because they can't afford premiums even when healthy and cannot find minimal wage job that offers benefits. They get sick, with preventable and avoidable conditions, then when it gets serious start clogging emergency rooms.

I recently worked with a group of fresh out of school kids, out of curiosity I asked how many of them had health insurance while looking for job (these days it can take years to find a job!). None had, they simply could not afford it! Healthy mid-20th could not afford premiums!!! These are bright, educated young people... you can only imagine what it looks look for your average bear.

Quote:
I think our health care is *good enough*

Good enough for you and me? Absolutely! With my plan I get best care in the world, it really covers everything I would ever want and I don't ever have to wait in line because Blue Cross Blue Shield is accepted everywhere. What happens when I lose my job? What happens if I get sick and can no longer work? What happens to people that are already in such predicament? How can I ever start my own small business if individual health care is so unaffordable?

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council

Also, I was agreeing in regards to short term. I think long term, most social programs could be offloaded to the states to craft more local solutions and there are various paths to get there.

I don't think that would work, because places like Texas exist. They would be more than happy to leave sick and poor to die in the sun. I know, I lived there for a number of years.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Originally Posted By: sinij
Or, if costs really did go down, quality and availability will also follow suit.

What quality and availability? Too many uninsured, because they can't afford premiums even when healthy and cannot find minimal wage job that offers benefits. They get sick, with preventable and avoidable conditions, then when it gets serious start clogging emergency rooms.

I recently worked with a group of fresh out of school kids, out of curiosity I asked how many of them had health insurance while looking for job (these days it can take years to find a job!). None had, they simply could not afford it! Healthy mid-20th could not afford premiums!!! These are bright, educated young people... you can only imagine what it looks look for your average bear.

Quote:
I think our health care is *good enough*

Good enough for you and me? Absolutely! With my plan I get best care in the world, it really covers everything I would ever want and I don't ever have to wait in line because Blue Cross Blue Shield is accepted everywhere. What happens when I lose my job? What happens if I get sick and can no longer work? What happens to people that are already in such predicament? How can I ever start my own small business if individual health care is so unaffordable?

Medicaid. Enough said. Plus any hospital that takes govt money is required to treat emergency patients. I dont get why people act like insurance is the end of the world.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Bullshit, you can buy health insurance without going thru your company for about or less then what you pay now. Healthcare is not unaffordable. I just look up a family of 5 and got quoted 200 to 600 a month with 70 options.

Cost would be lower if you could go out of state to buy insurance.

Most young people do not want to pay for health insurance because they are young and healthy and dont want to waste the money. Hell I didnt even think about insurance till I got married.

There are lost of ways to get free health care now, nobody will be left to die in the street.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Helemoto
Bullshit, you can buy health insurance without going thru your company for about or less then what you pay now. Healthcare is not unaffordable. I just look up a family of 5 and got quoted 200 to 600 a month with 70 options.

You are probably talking catastrophic-only, with high deductible, so when you end up in emergency room you will pay for it, instead of freeloading. Out of curiosity I looked up COBRA payments for my existing insurance - $3200ish/mo and I am healthy under 40 individual!! Who the fuck can afford this while unemployed?! Sure, I can find 200$ish catastrophic, but imagine if I had diabetes, history of cancer and were overweight smoker in my 50s. COBRA would be my only choice.

Last edited by sinij; 11/19/11 09:31 AM.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Good question, how are you going to afford it when obamacare is forcing you to pay 3k+ a year.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Costs AND availability are issues. Underlying issues are that it costs too much even if you are healthy and it gets outright unaffordable otherwise, and not enough people have coverage because they are priced out of the market.

Suggesting that someone "doesn't want any health insurance" is ridiculous, even young and healthy 20-something would buy health insurance if price was affordable and they had means to purchase. Current phenomena of young adults chancing it (odds are in your favor) and going without coverage is direct result of unreasonable cost.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Actually I have gone long periods of time without health insurance, simply because I did not think it was cost effective to have. I spent most of the rest of the past 10 years where I did have insurance, with the barest hospitalization. At one point in time I had a minimal plan with a local medical center, was fairly inexpensive but could go into the clinic/center.

Even when I had the two together, it was far less expensive than having typical insurance - and covered both routine visits and anything catastrophic. But the leftist plans eliminate that type of flexibility, all of them.

You do NOT speak for everyone. You do not even speak for the majority.

Because I certainly had the means to purchase.

Plus you are still on the "insurance" bit. Its still a fact that people arent left to die. Its also a fact that poor people already can get free govt medical care. Its also a fact that there are many programs and charities and income-scaled programs direct through doctors and providers.

Its also a fact that the leftist plans would suck the money and life out of everyone, for the additional benefit of a very few. Worse availability, worse service, higher costs... for EVERYONE.

Stop seeing the pie-in-the-sky daydream, and start looking at the facts.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
The facts are, that you were taking unreasonable risks by going off insurance. Considering that health insurances are private, for profit (even supposed non-profits) organizations they create a set of rules where going off insurance creates a large number of risks outside of "on insurance"/"off insurance" decisions.

Ever heard of pre-existing conditions? If you ever get sick (I wish you many healthy years, this is hypothetical example) with something expensive, like cancer, you can be sure that these gaps in your insurance coverage would be used against you. Sure, you might eventually prevail in courts, but by that point your illness might be too far gone to effectively treat.

Under current system too many people get fucked, both insured and uninsured.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council

Insurance Insecurity: Families Are Losing Employer-Sponsored Insurance Coverage

Quote:
Loss of employer-sponsored insurance is more likely to lead to uninsurance than coverage in the individual market.

Out of fear of the consequences of lost coverage, Americans regularly make life decisions based on health insurance and not their happiness or health.

Once someone has been uninsured for two months, they are no longer protected from being denied coverage for a pre-existing condition – in any insurance market. Given that roughly half of people who go without insurance for more than two months have chronic conditions, this can have disastrous consequences that last long into the future.

Because the risk of having a chronic disease over a lifetime is high, even those that are currently healthy are at high risk for being uninsurable in the future, facing higher medical costs and poorer health outcomes.

The results of a recent study show that two-thirds of the uninsured (68 percent) go without needed care – including seeing a doctor when sick, filling prescriptions, and following up on recommended tests or treatment – and 51 percent of the uninsured report difficulty paying bills, being contacted by collection agencies for unpaid bills, or changing their way of life to pay medical bills.

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard