the only problem with using divisions is that they wont automatically resize to the div beside them as it grows with content

the tables are for the "box" and that shadow background. if I floated divisions to get that shadow going- their heights would not sync up automatically- I'd either have to statically assign a height to all divisions or do some sort of javascript to adjust the heights

tables were the only clear cut choice- they are only used for the boxes like around the menu and the content area because they automatically fit around the content inside and all of the td's in the tr will share the same height

keep in mind that the same html "page" will have all of the dynamically generated content inside of it and it needs to fit automatically- I wont be generating like 30 html files 1 for each page and manually setting heights and widths

its the same way this kgb oracle forum makes the cell on the left of this text automatically be the same height as this cell containing this post- tables are used all the time even today for this purpose on nearly every website- rarely though are they ever used for their intended purpose of displaying data in tabular form smirk

Last edited by Rav; 12/16/09 08:13 AM.