The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Rav rate my html skills - 12/15/09 05:15 PM
I'm slowly working on a website for myself because I'm one of those self-centered types who assume everyone has nothing else better to do than to read my rants- just kidding.

I'm making a blog/forums/etc website for myself and another site for my "gaming personality". I'm keeping my gaming site seperate from my "me" site for professional reasons- discussions that are bound to be posted on my darkfall site may be less than savory and I may or may not want any future employers reading them.
I'm also one of those IT types and any potential employers will expect me to have a website- after all I may one day be responsible for their website even though I'm mainly into systems analysis and programming.

I haven't got very far beyond just a basic html and css template and I'm working on the php and sql scripting behind the scenes currently.

Here is ravaughn.com:
(the image thumbnail is a link)

I used to play wow alot and I was working on having a blog up for my enhancement shaman discussions.
It looks cool but it was never finished.

Here it is:
(the image thumbnail is a link)

I hope you like my designs.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 05:36 PM
nice
Posted By: Tasorin Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 07:56 PM
Pink text inside of washed and faded red/orange boxes for your menu is evil. Pick another color from the palate for your text color in those boxes and a text popup box telling you what your hovering over.
Posted By: Rav Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 09:02 PM
Actually, thats like a turquoise gray color (#cfafcf, rolls over to #ffcfff).

I'm not using a palette, I coded that site using textpad. After a while of coding you can just do colors strait from their 32 bit hex codes.

Its unlikely I'll finish that particular site considering I deleted my wow characters and uninstalled the game.

I may reuse the "torn parchment" background/box/container theme- and I went with transparent orange so the backgrounds could be seen through the boxes (when it was to be completed the boxes for the forum posts etc would be covering most of the page). The orangey color was chosen to match the color tint of the background.
There are 3 background images aside from the actual page background in the back. The top image floats on top of the box behind the text and menus. There is another background image that is floating attached to the bottom of the box- as the box is filled with content and grows with height its always at the bottom. Both of those images fade to transparent and the parchment background that tiles the box itself shows through. (So basically a boat load of div tags and css hokus-pokus)

The "me" and the darkfall/gaming site will reuse some html and css but are going to look mostly different. As a matter of fact all of the html and css in that preview of the ravaughn.com site came strait from the ravtehcow site- only the images have changed really.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 09:08 PM
I am not even going to comment. I had to tell the old grumpy dinosaur in me to just shut up.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
I am not even going to comment. I had to tell the old grumpy dinosaur in me to just shut up.

That's a start lol
Posted By: Rav Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 10:29 PM
Posted By: Vuldan Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 11:18 PM
HEY! I DID NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE MY PICTURE!!!!

Nice work BTW
Posted By: Tasorin Re: rate my html skills - 12/15/09 11:55 PM
Actually, we walked to school uphill both directions in a foot of snow with no shoes on our feet and one lunchpail to share with 8 brother's and sisters.
Posted By: Garal Re: rate my html skills - 12/16/09 02:02 AM
Tables are sooo 1999. Srsly, use divs.
Posted By: Rav Re: rate my html skills - 12/16/09 03:09 PM
the only problem with using divisions is that they wont automatically resize to the div beside them as it grows with content

the tables are for the "box" and that shadow background. if I floated divisions to get that shadow going- their heights would not sync up automatically- I'd either have to statically assign a height to all divisions or do some sort of javascript to adjust the heights

tables were the only clear cut choice- they are only used for the boxes like around the menu and the content area because they automatically fit around the content inside and all of the td's in the tr will share the same height

keep in mind that the same html "page" will have all of the dynamically generated content inside of it and it needs to fit automatically- I wont be generating like 30 html files 1 for each page and manually setting heights and widths

its the same way this kgb oracle forum makes the cell on the left of this text automatically be the same height as this cell containing this post- tables are used all the time even today for this purpose on nearly every website- rarely though are they ever used for their intended purpose of displaying data in tabular form smirk
© The KGB Oracle