KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 56 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,429 Trump card
1,340,267 Picture Thread
478,689 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#43643 04/29/09 08:08 AM
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
That it's just not really possible for me to level up "fairly" and still expect to contribute to the guild.

I have, up until this point at least, tried to refrain from using macros for gathering/running skills or leveling up weapon skills by beating on fellow alliance people.

I'm thinking that this was a bad strategy becuase I see everyone else is WAY further ahead of me in terms of skills and gold.

So I guess I'm writing this for two reasons:

1) I caution new players, unless you're planning on sitting at your computer and playing 12-13 hours a day, just suck up your pride and use/work with other players to build your basic skills up. It's just not going to happen at PvE mobs legitly. You'll find that all the starter mobs are camped, or you're going to be fighting a mob and three others will spawn and you'll end up dying and losing your stuff. If neither of those things happen, you'll realize that every hour or so, a red player will run through the starter areas and slaughter everyone who is fighting the starter mobs and steal all their gold.

2) I plan on bugging some people into helping me build my rigor/weapon skills the next time I'm on and playing. (either tonight or tomorrow night). Oh, I also plan on bugging someone into teaching me how to install and run a macro so that I can work on various skills. smile

That is all.

Last edited by Tonto_KGB; 04/29/09 08:13 AM.
Band 7
Band 7
Macros have been nerfed severly. About the only thing I macro anymore is magic.

Skills are best leveled in large PVE groups.

Ive been playing since beta, and day 2 of release. My weapon skill is only 65, archery at 60, and high levels in magic (which I don't use much yet in PVP). This game is alot more about actual player skill and experience in batte than it is weapon skills and such. Gear is important, but its easily gotten and lost.

Former KGB Member
Band 6
Band 6
Dunlop is right about that. Weapon skill, Magic and Archery are all aspects of the game that DOESN'T need to be maxed out in order to be effective in player versus player. This game is about player skill a lot more than people give it credit for.

There is, however, one LARGE exception.

Mana to Stam. You need to macro, or grind to it, ASAP - especially for smaller engagements ... can't tell you how many 1v1s i've survived because I'd continue kiting and using Mana to Stam. Even with the higher stam regen, mana to stam should be used constantly, even if your only at half stam.

Former KGB Member
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
I haven't macro'd weapon skill or defense. All of my skill ups have come in pvp or pve with the exception of 1 pt that I macro'd from 74-75.
If you are getting killed at a mob spawn you are farming you need to duo or find more to take with you.
We have people fresh into DFO that come to our highest lvl pve camps and make bank - someone joked their entire in-game net worth doubled with one split in a clan pve group.
These kgbers are not "geared" and do not have weeks of macro time in they are 2-3 days into the game.
Not to be critical of the poster but anyone who thinks they can come in DFO and solo their way is going to be somewhat disappointed that they are constantly owned out by themselves.
Even if you are out chopping wood - group up for common defense and stay near others so they know where you are and can help.
Tasho/Jaguar is going to be coordinating resource and farming groups as soon as his pc is put together - join his groups when you can.
I can also say people who are thriving in DFO and progressing well seem to be active in clan groups.
I wonder what the normal play time is for the poster?
See me in game I can help with some basic gear and can get you started in more successful farming areas.
Hang in there Keemosabi.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Hey Hare, anyone mind sharing those higher difficulty mobs that we can solo so easily? I hear of people doing this but they are not willing to share the info. *cough* REP *cough*

I think this info can really benefit the guild but several people are keeping this stuff secret so they won't have their spot camped.

Last edited by Vyse; 04/29/09 09:43 AM.
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
You're right about skills. But attributes are really importants, and to get them I'd say that you should go archery after getting 50 (or 75) LM : you'll need arrows and to make arrows you need to mine and cut wood which are 2 good strength and vitality booster.

Another important spell : stamina to health. You can cast it a lot contrary to self heal.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Originally Posted By: Hare
I haven't macro'd weapon skill or defense. All of my skill ups have come in pvp or pve with the exception of 1 pt that I macro'd from 74-75.
If you are getting killed at a mob spawn you are farming you need to duo or find more to take with you.
We have people fresh into DFO that come to our highest lvl pve camps and make bank - someone joked their entire in-game net worth doubled with one split in a clan pve group.
These kgbers are not "geared" and do not have weeks of macro time in they are 2-3 days into the game.
Not to be critical of the poster but anyone who thinks they can come in DFO and solo their way is going to be somewhat disappointed that they are constantly owned out by themselves.
Even if you are out chopping wood - group up for common defense and stay near others so they know where you are and can help.
Tasho/Jaguar is going to be coordinating resource and farming groups as soon as his pc is put together - join his groups when you can.
I can also say people who are thriving in DFO and progressing well seem to be active in clan groups.
I wonder what the normal play time is for the poster?
See me in game I can help with some basic gear and can get you started in more successful farming areas.
Hang in there Keemosabi.

Well the poster can only play a couple of hours at a time because he has a girlfriend who doesn't really like him playing computer games frown

I probably play 10-12 hours a week, which I know isn't nearly as much as others in the guild. I also generally get on for 3-4 hours at a time when I do play (because gf is working)

My problem is that I can solo well enough at goblins/bone knights/skeleton's by myself, but as soon as I really get into a groove, a group of 2-3 people comes and either runs me off, or they just poach all the kills and steal all the loot while I'm fighting mobs.

My weapon skill is only at 12-13 for polearm and around 18 for swords because of this.

My point was that in pretty much every other MMORPG, I've been able to just slowly get up to max level by myself or with small groups along the way, and it's been easy to contribute to the guild while doing this... DFO just doesn't allow someone to do that, you pretty much need to group up with a couple of people at all times if you want to make any real progress. More of a warning to new players then anything else.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Stam to Health is another Staple, fast cast, fast cooldown, 20+ HP

That spell + basic heal self + a pot is what the high end merc guilds do behind a rock to charge back out 15 seconds later with near full HP

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Syloc
Dunlop is right about that. Weapon skill, Magic and Archery are all aspects of the game that DOESN'T need to be maxed out in order to be effective in player versus player. This game is about player skill a lot more than people give it credit for.

There is, however, one LARGE exception.

Mana to Stam. You need to macro, or grind to it, ASAP - especially for smaller engagements ... can't tell you how many 1v1s i've survived because I'd continue kiting and using Mana to Stam. Even with the higher stam regen, mana to stam should be used constantly, even if your only at half stam.

You know, I have to admit it: For the past 12 years that I've played MMOs, I really wish there was at least one or two decent MMOs where you couldn't get your stamina back via some spell or potion; where you couldn't get a nice chunk of your health back via potion or spell; or where the word POT or POTION was never used because it simply didn't exist. I honestly wish that players would simply have to either:

A. Fight to the death
B. Use unit-battle tactics that revolved solely around substantial physics like melee or archery rather than based on how much food they ate or their potion count
C. Hit and run with the hopes of being able to replenish their energy/stam the old fashioned way: Mending & Resting.

When I enter an MMO and discover that I constantly need to check my pots/food/spells etc in order to remain competitive, about 50% of my drive to even bother playing has gone away. I guess I'm just a huge fan of FPS games, and it's a real pity there aren't any large-scale, good ancient or medieval-based FPS/TPS out there where you can conquer territory.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Band 6
Band 6
If you cycle basic heal self + stam to health, you can regain health in no time flat.

The least used, and most important tactic, however - is to continualty casting mana to stam, even when your at half stam, so your fights will last longer. Anyone who's seen Ky Ky's video, will notice that he starts using mana to stam VERY early, aka, 3/4th stam bar, so when it gets down to the longer end of the duels, he has tiwce as much stam as other guys who haven't been using mana to stam.

This is why, I think, why it may seem that some players (like the mercs) have infinate stam, when in reality they are just better at stam conservation and quick mana to stam.

If you set up your hotbars right, you can easily switch to your staff, hit mana to stam, then back to your weapon in under 2-3 seconds.

I need to level up stam to health and basic health, but I heard the combination of those, later on, is preety freeking uber. (like Derid said)

To Crim: I do feel you. I was hardcore FPS before and after Shadowbane dwindled down, but at the same time, the stam system the reality of the game. If there wasn't any stam or health conservation, then I wouldn'e be paying a montly fee for this game - because it wouldn't be an mmo it would be a single player game. As much as it may sound bad, keeping your stam and health up via pots and spells are the FIRST thing people should learn, even before actually fighting.

I really wish there was an easier pot timer, I never can count 2 minutes off in my head. Maybe it's time for a macro or something to keep track.

Last edited by Syloc; 04/29/09 01:32 PM.

Former KGB Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard