KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 25 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Bandit, hydr
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,032,671 Trump card
1,341,933 Picture Thread
479,472 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Missing in Action - October 2021
OP Offline
All right kids, the grammar on these forums is out of control. I don't know if it has been slowly deteriorating throughout the years, or if it just built up to the point where I can't take it anymore, but enough is enough guys.

You know in action movies where the heroes are walking through the jungle with a machete, cutting down the thick Amazonian foliage? Well I feel like that's exactly what I'm doing as I read just about every single post on these forums; I chop through misused words on a daily basis in order to extract the true meaning of what you're trying to convey.

Anyway, on to a small list that will change your lives forever:

The site is here:
http://www.esc.edu/esconline/across_esc/writerscomplex.nsf/wholeshortlinks2/Misused?opendocument

but since some people are avid link-haters:
Quote:

a lot (not alot)

it's never one word, but is always two words: a lot

Harold ate a lot of pepperoni, anchovy, broccoli, and green onion pizza; he was up all night with a lot of sickness as a result.

accept/except

accept = to agree with, to receive
except = to exclude

I accept all points of the verdict except the final one that indicts me for the slaying of your affection.

advice/advise

advice = the information that you give to another, but don't necessarily take yourself (a noun)
advise = the act of giving information to another (a verb)

The advice you gave me helped me advise my client in his stock choices. Are you billing me?

affect/effect

affect = to influence (used as a verb)
effect =the result of an action (used as a noun) or the act of causing change (used as a noun)

That movie affected me strongly; I was half-awake all night thinking of bleeding limbs. I won't go to any more hacker films if they have that effect on me.

Tip: Note that psychologists use "affect" as a noun meaning "feeling or emotion." Use "affect" as a noun only in a psychological context.

The criminal psychologist pointed out that the killer showed no affect when describing how he murdered the lawyer.

all right (not alright)

it's never one word, but is always two words: all right?

already/all ready

already = previously
all ready = completely prepared

When he arrived home, his wife was already asleep, even though she promised to be all ready to go to the movies.

altogether/all together

altogether = completely, entirely
all together = grouped

She gathered the pieces of the portfolio all together, and she decided that the process of compiling her artwork was altogether satisfactory.

alumna/alumnae alumnus/alumni

alumna = one female graduate
alumnae = more than one female graduate
alumnus = one male graduate
alumni = more than one male graduate, also used as a plural for males and females

Susan is an undergraduate alumna of Elmira College. Phil is an undergraduate alumnus of Goddard College. They both are graduate alumni of SUNY Empire State College.

among/between

among = use with more than two
between = use with two

Grandfather divided his lottery winnings among his four children, and my father divided his share between my sister and me.

bad/badly

bad = describes a person, place, thing, or state of being (feeling, looking)

badly = describes an action or another descriptive word

I feel bad; I had a bad fall, and the wound healed badly. (Not: I feel badly.)

fewer/less

fewer = a countable number
less = an overall or general amount, non-countable

Due to parents' increasing concern with good nutrition, fewer students in my second-grade class bring cookies for snacktime. Also due to that same concern, many companies are making cookies with less sugar.

its/it's

its = belonging to it
it's = it is

It's the first day after the snowfall and already the snow has lost its fresh, clean look.

lose/loose

lose = to have lost something
loose = free, not fastened

She said, "I'll lose ten more pounds," even though the dress was loose on her emaciated frame.

principal/principle

principal = the person in charge of a school; the main person, thing, or concept; the main amount of money

principle = a basic truth or standard

Principal Shaw is a person of principle.

their/there/they're

their = belonging to them
there = a direction
they're = they are

Sam and Barbara told us that they're not recommending a visit to Gotham City to their friends. They had a lot of trouble there. When they went to make a phone call to their family at home, they were ejected from the public phone booth by someone crying, "Hey, you there, get out of Superman's way!"

then/than

then = to show time
than = to show comparison

I just saw a list of the top ten CDs and then realized that I am less than hip.

to/too/two

to = a preposition (used with a noun or pronoun)
too = also, very
two = quantity

"To err is human, to forgive divine" is one of the two phrases that I remember only too well.

weather/whether

weather = the stuff that it's doing outside
whether = indicates a choice; whether or not to do something

Our ski trip depends on whether the weather is appropriate.

who/whom

who = the subject of a sentence
whom = the object of an action

"Who requested this book? What's that? I can't hear you. I deliver this book to whom?"

Tip: Try each word with "to" or "for." Whom is the word that makes sense with "to" or "for."
which/who/that

which = refers to things or animals (not people)
who = refers only to people (not things or animals)
that = refers to people, things, or animals

James Stewart, who befriended Harvey, which was an invisible rabbit, often had conversations with that rabbit, to the chagrin of his family in the film.

your/you're

your = belonging to you
you're = you are

"I loved your interpretation of a stalk of celery," she gushed. "You're very talented."

This is the part where you guys thank me for showing you the light. And request that Elph make this post a sticky.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
ahahaha

I completely agree with you.

Former KGB Member
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I usually attempt to ensure my spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure is accurate. To say that every post is wrong is a general assumption which is not entirely accurate. I always use a spell checker, and pride myself on trying to deliver a quality post. Even though I may, on occasion misuse some words, I hardly think I need a lesson from anyone.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
E
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
E
LOL I personally don't care. I go to school full time where I get graded on my grammar and punctuation so when I am on websites where it's not mean to be so serious I don't really give two shits how proper my grammar is lol.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
OP Offline
Oh, by no means am I expecting perfectly indented five paragraph essays as replies to posts. Hell I don't write perfectly, half the time I ignore punctuation, half of my paragraphs are once sentence, etc.

Before firefox's spell-check, probably every other word I wrote was mispelled... apparantly I misspelled... both misspelled and apparently.

Anyway, I hate writing, and I do it terribly. I specifically chose a career where I wouldn't have to rely on my writing skills specifically because they're so bad.

Regardless though, I've grown kind of OCD over the years, and for some crazy reason, misused words (and washing my hands repeatedly O_o... almost Aviator style) are some of the things that get to me. I don't know, I'd just appreciate it if everyone gave that list a looksy and at least made an effort to use the correct "to" or "their" and maybe sometimes even "its" from now on.

Eh, everyone here is an adult and can do whatever they please. I just think it'd be pretty cool if they did whatever they could later describe what they did correctly :P

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
E
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
E
LOL no thanks for me!
I am lucky to get a break on the pc and I don't want to have to worry about my grammar and stuff hehe.
One thing I did learn from one course last term was how I was misspelling alot, i always spelt it like that <.... but being in class i realized it was actually a lot lol. So i at least make that effort. Firefox spell check isn't all that great but it's not too bad.

OP Offline
yeah, it's strange. I figured it would simply have the same library as Word, or something pretty similar, but there are a lot of pretty common words that it doesn't recognize. Or if you have a typo in a critical place along a word it won't even suggest the correct spelling. At least it points out that it's misspelled so you can fix it yourself.

Yeah, I didn't know about a lot/ alot until I think 11th grade when I took an AP English course and simultaneously befriended three future English majors / grammar Nazis.

BoS Archon
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Actually, already and alright are used often in english courses/books in universities today, along with business and various journalistic publications. The words were once the separate words of all ready and all right, but have evolved to be already and alright. You can find them in the online Webster's dictionary:

Already: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/already

Alright: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alright

I totally agree about accept/except & affect/effect. When people say your instead of you're, or there instead of their, it drives me crazy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
They didn't teach me none of this shit when i took ebonics classes.

Ebonics = Right
English = Mah Ballz

I Am The Storm.
Represent de KGB
www.The-KGB.com
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

They didn't teach me none of this shit when i took ebonics classes.

Ebonics = Right
English = Mah Ballz

That Owned

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard