KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 55 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Winter
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,031,364 Trump card
1,340,908 Picture Thread
478,856 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Crimthan #23982 12/02/07 10:56 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

It is a GAME after all. (sort of a tangent below)

Yah, people get pissed off if you call the wrong shot here and there; but those taking the orders and giving the orders need to take angry outbursts with a grain of salt (it's healthier to vent rather than hold it in) and move on.

I've noticed in the past 10 years that MMOs (to my chagrin) have become a secondary haven to the same kind of Drama and dysfunction seen in WWE. You can look on the _______ (insert MMO game name here) forums and read about one side shitting on the other, while the receiving end picks up the same stinking shit and slings it back. I think it's better for serious guilds not to participate in such forums at all (except to read them and gain intel on enemies).

I'm a huge proponent to people getting bullshit off their chests, but I'd prefer it directly over a vent channel, wait a moment to cool down, and move on. But that's not what happens. X party usually says nothing at the moment, but the second that Y person leaves the chat or game for the day, people begin backstabbing and you-name-it. It also happens in KGB now, and I don't know WTF that is ( I think there are probably at least 3-4 mini-factions in KGB from what I've witness in past 2.5 years). I'd much rather see people confront the person mono y mono than make a huge drama fest out of everything; then move on and work as a team.

You see, the issues brought up in the last few posts occur because Factions form within the guilds. Sure, you may prefer to game with X person rather than Y, but in the long-run, we're supposed to be able to count on one another to kick some ass. Basically, I prefer thick-skin and confrontational over thin-skinned with a subtle stab in the back later.

Drama leads to this most recent self implosion http://www.cadrequietus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22622 and to hear that Kgb has small cliques and mini factions and what not does not inspire me to join, I got enough drama when I was a leader in CQ.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Drakiis #23983 12/02/07 11:22 AM
Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
I think youre being very optimistic to think that there wont be any small cliques in any large guild. KGB has truly stood the test of time imo, thanks to Jet.

Binbs #23984 12/02/07 12:54 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Binbs is right, Drak. I have yet to see a guild where there isn't factions of some sort or the occasional back-lashing drama. That's why I said that it's a particular theme I've noted in the past 10 years - it's unfortunately part of the MMO culture, and is something I wish wasn't there (which was why I said all of that to begin with). The larger a guild and community gets, the more likely there will be inner-factions. Remember Dark Cadre, Cadre Saltuarius, etc? Different factions...but those were created via infrastructure, not by people in a good-ol boy system.

When you find someone having a serious problem with another member, listen to what is being said and try to find a way to bridge that gap between the people.

You know...Drak, that link you posted about CQ really doesn't even count as the drama I've been talking about. It pertains more to members having a problem with the leadership (and trying to hide it in humor) - I'm talking about members not getting along entirely with their peers (same in every guild).

There's a list of people that couldn't stand Zorak - He's too condescending. Yet In the entire whopping 2.5 years I've been in KGB I have yet to witness anyone having a problem with Jetstar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Drakiis #23985 12/02/07 02:34 PM
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Quote:

Drama leads to this most recent self implosion http://www.cadrequietus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22622 and to hear that Kgb has small cliques and mini factions and what not does not inspire me to join, I got enough drama when I was a leader in CQ.

I am sorry you are not inspired to join Drakiis. I have found your views to be wise and intelligent.

Cliques are an interesting topic. First of all they are going to happen. In my 11 years as head of this organization I have found that people often group based on RL friendships, RL geographic locations, former guild associations, spcific game interests, etc. You are not going to stop this, but as Guild leadership, you must manage it carefully. The membership as a whole must be all treated fairly. Cliques can become dangerous when they are treated differently, both good and bad.

I think that as long as the leadership stays engaged, and this is managed as well as all the other pitfalls of a large organization, the organization remains successful.

I have changed KGB around this point with the Faction system with the High Chancellor system. If you look at the changes, you will see it is impossible for Faction leadership to go inactive or lose the support of the people. A majority can simply remove them, and they must retain the support of the membership when making decisions.

I for one am looking forward to seeing my latest changes (Also agreed to by the KGB Senate) in action. DF or AOC will test this.

Serving KGB,

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Drakiis #23986 12/02/07 02:42 PM
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Quote:

http://www.cadrequietus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22622

I read through this thread and would have handled it totally differently. First of all I would have moved it to a guild access only section of the Oracle (Assuming the original poster was a member). Or I would have addressed it in an intelligent manner right from the start. The insults going around are doing nothing but fanning the flames. I would again take the high road and talk about issues and fact. You have to jump on these kinds of things right away before they spin out of control.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
JetStar #23987 12/02/07 03:09 PM
E
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
E
All big guilds that have been around for a long time have had it. I can say though that in todays KGB it's not so much but in the KGB of the past yea we had alot of problems. I think todays KGB has grown alot and it shows in our accomodations with the new constitution and commitment from the new and long time members.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Elph #23988 12/02/07 11:00 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Time also has a lot to do with things in general.

Many of the folks you loved / hated have likely changed quite
a bit since then. Remember the folks you just HATED in UO ?
Ya, well that was what. . . a DECADE ago ? Ya, you're
getting old ( so did they ) Get over it.

Think about how much YOU have changed in that time period,
then give some thought about that grudge. . .

I'm not sure how many of you played ShadowBane for the Nth time
when the Asian / American servers merged but I can tell you this:

It was old grudges that folks would not let go that ultimately
became their downfall. Their inability to put aside some silly
ass disagreement and work together got them obliterated.

Why ?

While individual guilds could hold their own against other
similar numbered guilds just fine, when the true Zerg came ( and I
assure you the Eastern guilds redefined the term ) we simply did
not have the numbers to counter them. These folks would bring
5-8 Groups to a MINE fight. A mine. :|

If you baned a single Eastern Guild, the entire MAP would show up
to defend it. It wasn't even a contest usually. More like, a
slaughter.

Had all the guilds took off their damn blinders and saw the
danger, it might have had a different outcome. However, infighting
and bickering over Mickey Mouse BS kept the guilds splintered and,
in the end, pretty much doomed the server.

Drak:

You've been around long enough to see all this mess before
The bigger or older a guild gets, it develops it's ' core '
members, cliques, and ideals about how it should be run. Sometimes
they conflict and splinter off and become new guilds.

Just goes with the territory I guess.

Show me a medium / large sized guild that doesn't have similar
issues and I'll show you a guild who hasn't been around for long

-Daye

Daye #23989 12/03/07 02:17 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Thank you all for your insights into KGB, it helps create a clearer picture of KGB knowing that the leadership here is not reactive but proactive, and that Jet and the others are always trying to improve the guilds function and social dynamics instead of encouraging the dysfunction of the guild and it's members. I will not comment on Zorak out of respect, whether he deserves that respect or not is not my place to say. But I will say that having been an officer, and a leader I am well aware of the fact that all guilds develop social issues, yes it is the nature of the beast. Since guilds are little more then social clubs, which add to a greater gaming community, drama is almost a certainty, but it's how those issues are handled which is important to me.

My experiences in Cadre Quietus and other guilds, has left a sour taste in my mouth for people who are overly sensitive, and take everything personally. In the past I tried to be sensitive to peoples complaints which always ended up with me getting caught in the middle and eventually turned into the instigator of the issue when I had nothing to do with it initially. Now, I am much less involved in this side of guild management, and have taken a rather blunt and direct approach. This change reflects my attitude toward a ever growing trend in some guilds that being politically correct, or in contrast being apathetic, which is what I believe Zorak to be doing, is the best way to handle a guilds social dynamics. I conform to neither philosophy, I think being direct is best and that "tough love" if you prefer, is the only way for some players to understand that their actions are not constructive.

As Crimthan can attest to, being the guilds super patriot did little more then to put me in direct line of fire for many of the guilds social issues, and trying to resolve the issues Cadre had in a sensitive and diplomatic manner during our membership was a immpossible task, one which I never want to repeat.

Drakiis #23990 12/03/07 06:14 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Yah, when you took leave of CQ, I became a Guild Elder and took over your role of "super patriot" and "instigator" as you call it. It really gets you nowhere in that kind of setting, because frankly, the man at the helm just doesn't care. Zorak on more than one occasion brushed me off by saying, "Ah, Crimthan the Cowboy..." I'm certain he didn't mean that one as a compliment, but I chose to take it that way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Crimthan #23991 12/04/07 01:36 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
apathy pure and simple...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard