KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,539 Trump card
1,340,290 Picture Thread
478,700 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

There are some nice thoughts there. But lets not put the cart before the horse. Our primary focus will need to be getting it done on the field I'm afraid or else all those nice little extras become moot.

Now, I am sure you realize this as much as I do, but I dont want the overall mentality of KGB to slip into a dreamland of time consuming RPish events and helping old ladies cross the street without the full understanding that for anything like that to be even somewhat viable, we are going to have to rise as a power first, and stake out claims with blood.

Also, there is no use protecting those who cannot protect themselves. Even though it is an admirable goal, even if we are able to do so, it will end up hurting both us and them. Its not about failing to "meet the goals of the white knight" in my book, its the simple fact that if we are all thats protecting/propping a group up, eventually our commitments will surpass our ability. In that case, the tenants would also get swept away, by leaner, more focused opponents.

Happens in EvE all the time. The most successfull alliances with the most prosperous, loyal and happiest "tenants" are , by no accident, also the most coldly efficient, and of course militarily coordinated. Tenants that cannot pull their own weight typically have no place. This works for DFO though, as I am anticipating a very very very tiny population of pure carebears. In a game like DFO, if theyre not at least in the militia groups fighting for their turf, theyre on their alts fighting against you.

But in any case, before that type of talk on how to manage an "empire" even really gets started, and most especially before we start discussing frills, I think we need to wait for the game to launch, and prove our ability to put those kinds of options on the table period.

This post isnt even directly aimed at you Raek, I just dont want people with less experience with true territorial conflict games to get the wrong ideas on what a game like that is like before we even get to the starting gate.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

However, examples of what I am referring to would be like the political meetings Jet and Herog had in person in game. They could have simply meet up in Vent and it would be forgotten as soon as it was over.

Did Jet behead Herog? I hope so. He's on my top 5 most wanted-to-kill list, even if I have to create a stealth alt and go Machiavellian to do it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
I'm not sure what happened to him but early on Jet actually had the KGB army stand in uniform for the KoS brass to view inside our city walls. Looking back it was silly since they ended up grinding us into the ground over and over again but atleast at first we had some fun RPing going on.

Derid: I hear you bro. I'm just dreaming out loud because this guy's article got me to thinking... by time beta starts this thread/post will be long forgotten. We could all agree to wear nothing but pink now and it wouldn't matter because once beta starts, that's when decisions will actually be made!

"It's not enough to win... others have to lose."
-Stephen Colbert 'Colbert Report'
Hall of Fame record
Former Member
Former Member
I'm open to RP.

In the arc of player maturity (NOT age maturity) all types--explorer, achiever, killer, etc--it all ends in socializing.

Plus, RP provides another way to immerse players into a game and guild--which is a good thing. There's nothing that says pvp and rp are mutually exclusive.

When your King calls you to action, will you hear the call?

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

I agree Val. Its actually a little known fact that I RPed in UO. I didnt talk funny or anything, or even align myself with in-game factions much. But I did play a "character" that had a certain set personality, and acted in a specific fashion according to its personality.

So basically noone ever knew I was RPing, but to a degree, I was. Of course I came to UO from the origional NWN on AOL, and remember being suprised that noone RPed, and that UO players thought RP was, in fact, talking funny. Real RP is impossible, because the percentile of ppl in mass-market games who is even capable of understandng appropriate RP IS, is so marginal.

Plus real RP is something that happens on a player level, not a group level. When groups of RP-players get together, you can get a cool group. When a group says "here come we are RP" you get a costume party.

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Quote:

We could all agree to wear nothing but pink now

You mean like my shammy?

-[KGB]- Garal TheGreat

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
The thing that has done the most to kill role playing in MMOs is the endless xp/loot grind that has come to dominate nearly every MMO since UO. People don't have time or the inclination to do the RP activities that Raek mentions because of the need to grind out that next precious level.

UO was great because you could roll up a character, and in an evening, get to the point where you could roll with gang. Your 'toon was by no means done, but at 80 or 90 skill points (out of 100), which you could get in an evening, you were competant. Every point in addition on the way to GM at 100 was better, of course, but it wasn't like the unbridgable gulf that exists in leveling MMOs for character who differ in only a few levels.

The combination of level inequities and uber gear just kills playability, in my opinion.

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Exactly to the point Owain... never played UO but I agree that the "grind" kills MMO's. It is also bad in that if in the group you have some level differences that will greatly affect the "award" for members of the group. I understand they do that so that a high level player does not run interference all the time for his buds... but even a few levels make it tough... hence the stable of level buddies everyone seems to have lying around...

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Some things on the RP front:
The best times in gaming I ever had was UO and SB. KGB is built on this system. Out titles, our armed forces, all of this is designed on a "Light RP" basis.
I will never forget our entire guild lined up in perfect formation as I had a conference with COS leadership.
BY THE WAY RAEK! It is the KGB Sentinel, and it is alive and well here on the Oracle.
I am looking forward to this in DFO or Conan or whatever. Just mindless PVP never attracted me. I am in it all for the politics, war, and inter guild relations.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

I agree Val. Its actually a little known fact that I RPed in UO. I didnt talk funny or anything, or even align myself with in-game factions much. But I did play a "character" that had a certain set personality, and acted in a specific fashion according to its personality.

So basically noone ever knew I was RPing, but to a degree, I was. Of course I came to UO from the origional NWN on AOL, and remember being suprised that noone RPed, and that UO players thought RP was, in fact, talking funny. Real RP is impossible, because the percentile of ppl in mass-market games who is even capable of understandng appropriate RP IS, is so marginal.

Plus real RP is something that happens on a player level, not a group level. When groups of RP-players get together, you can get a cool group. When a group says "here come we are RP" you get a costume party.

That's how I am with my Crimthan character. His prime weapon is the polearm, and he tends to wear medium armor and is more of an offensive warrior. Whenever I play him, I have certain goals in mind for what weapons/gear I want and the moves I utilize in combat. The latter usually dictates the class I choose for Crim. You'll never see Crim as a caster, healer, etc. In fact, there are certain class spheres I play, and when I play them, there is usually a specific name assigned to the individual foci.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard