KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Raist
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,022,158 Trump card
1,339,365 Picture Thread
478,154 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
A failure of ideas - Volcker-worship

Quote:
It is to a generation of men who think stagflation is always and everywhere a looming phenomenon. No matter how low inflation goes, they see portents of Weimar. But that neverending 70s show isn't just a phobia of rising prices. It's the idea that the solution to economic pain is more pain. In other words, Volcker-worship.

Whipping inflation didn't exactly make Volcker popular in the short run. It took what was at the time the deepest recession of the postwar period to bring down people's inflation expectations. In other words, it was the paragon of what Very Serious People think about when they think about "leadership": inflicting pain today for a better tomorrow. It just so happened that in this case, it was the right thing to do.

It's not now. Our present problem isn't too little inflation-fighting, but too much. The only bit of good news is this is an easy problem to solve: with interest rates as low as they'll ever be, the government can borrow money and put people back to work. It's really that simple. And besides, there's no reason we shouldn't produce as much as we can now just because we made mistakes before.

But this doesn't make for an exciting narrative. A failure of ideas is much less dramatic than a failure of Leadership™. Where's the sacrifice? The hard-headed vision? Give me penance, not prosperity. Give me hard choices, not easy ways out. But most of all, give me what worked in the past.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

One problem with that article - real inflation, as they would have measured it in 1979 ,and should still measure it today if they wanted to record actual inflation - has been between 9% and 13% for the past decade or so.

If you use the current "official" inflation CPI to try and make any sort of analysis, you immediately fail due to invalid input. GIGO.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I keep reading "real inflation" here and there, but haven't seen any numbers outside of suspicious right-wing blogs.

Do you have anything credible to support that 13% number? Also my average yearly return has been about 15% for the past 10 years, are you telling me I am running in place? It certainly does not feel that way.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

You are doing well compared to many. Shadowstats public area has inflation comparisons, based on the 1980 methodology and the 1990 methodology.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Reading that the goverment-calculated inflation rate is liw, and believing it, has to be the height of folly.
If you buy food or gas, you know that prices are going up up up. Gasoline has doubled in 5 years. Loaf of bread from $3 to $5 in the same time. I know this because I have been eating orowheat wheat bread for over 15 years.

What caused this if not inflation?? Food production is up, oil is average.

If there is another explanation I would like to hear it.

KGB Darkfall
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Food and fuel are conveniently no longer counted in the "official" inflation index.

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard