KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 53 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,036,934 Trump card
1,342,564 Picture Thread
481,172 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Those of you who know your KGB history (read the archives if you dont) have heard of the PGC. At the time it was called the Pacific Guilds Coalition. Three powerful Guilds on UO's Pacific shard formed a coalition that was lead by the leaders of each guild.

The reason why I bring this up is the thought of our presence in some of the upcoming games we all long for. As you can imagine, size will matter and KGB in its current state cannot be prepared to grow quick enough to compete. Many of you remember the success of the coalition called COS or Covenant of Swords in Shadowbane. This coalition consisted of many small groups with common goals, working together to achieve them.

What I am proposing is a new organization called the United Guilds Coalition or UGC. This would consist of member guilds with the leadership of each guild serving on a coalition council. Decisions would be made by majority vote. We would have a guild membership process much like our own.

I would build another website much like KGB's to accomodate this oraganization. It would have its own news and message boards.

It is my hope that we can then invite our former allies and friends to this coalition and have a nice head start when a game Darkfall is released.

As I write the New Constitution I think this may be a time to get prepared so we have a good chance at once again being a top competitor in some of the new worlds on the horizon.

Please share you opinions and ideas on this subject.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
This is probably a good approach. Over the years, KGB has gone through repeated boom and bust cycles. It seems that once the size of an organization reaches a critical mass, internal political pressures cause the organization to fly apart, like a Uranium atom undergoing a fission reaction.

By participating in a coalition, with each group possessing it's own leadership, hopefully we can break the vicious cycle.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Exactly my idea Senator,

I am trying be proactive in our approach ot the future and a game like Darkfall. In the new constitution (Which you helped with, and thank you), I have controls and new guidelines for faction leadership. Keeping an active leadership and autonomy in our own organization gives us the best of both worlds.

In the past, to compete, we have been forced to get so big that we lost our identity. This way we can still handle membership our way, and yet align with like guilds in a powerful alliance.

Dont ever forget the example of COS in shadowbane. If they could have just held it together, they would have never been challenged.

Any alliance with KGB is going to be a favorite target for former member guilds and lamers alike all over the internet. We will be constantly challenged and this will offer me some of the politics and issues that I love to deal with.

Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Well, it will alter the nature of the cycle anyway.

EVE and SB both have in-game mechanics to cover this type of thing, Darkfall and other pvp games likely will as well.

E
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
E
I really don't think this is a good idea..
We have absorbed so much of our allies from old and friends I really don't see something like this working in todays games..
There will be so much differences of opinions and things I just can't see it working..
Just like when we went to Gawaine DAOC cuz Csky and Xlords were going there well they didn't stick around too long and we were stuck in a snowy land that didn't really fit who KGB were. We'd of been much better in Albion,but that's the past.

I think we need to focus on all of us getting use to being together in one faction and I don't think when we first step foot into a new game we should have a coalition..

As you know I've said in past games we need to work on the internal in games before we recruit/run a coalition.

KGB has alot of internal work imo since we will all be meshing together from SB and other lands.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Elph, I think the problems you describe are more a function of the piss poor pvp environment offered by faction type games, like DAoC and WoW. In a free for all game, like SB, Eve, and hopefully Darkfall, alliances are much more important, because it isn't you against another side, it's you against the entire world. Almost everyone is potentially an enemy.

One cautionary tale must be told comes directly from our experience in ShadowBane, however. There, we saw the case where once serious pressure was applied to the alliance, alliance members started to melt away. At one point during the siege of an allied city, and I vividly remember that extended mass battle, almost the only alliance names in sight belonged to the KGB. We died so many times defending the allied city by ourselves that eventually some of us threw ourselves into the ranks of the enemy almost naked, because our armor had been destroyed in previous engagements.

In the long run, that fight served the KGB well, because people on both sides were impressed that even in the face of hopeless odds, the KGB would stand and fight and die with honor. Repeatedly.

Long live the KGB.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
L
aka CxC's Asgag
aka CxC's Asgag
L
I have to say that Owain missed one important thing that a coalition offers.

In addition to safety, security and even some power to wield, forming a coalition means that you are not just one guild. In fact what you would be doing is building your own community of sorts.

I don't know about anyone else but the social aspect of MMO's is one of features that draws me to play them.

One guild is not only an isolated military target but also remains isolated socially in a free for all PVP setting.

Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
I remembered 2nd PGC very well...It was so fun....Why? Because UO was a game where single person, small group can fight without the hetic of organizing 1 batalyon. I always like to fight alone or in a small group, but with todays online game has eveolved it would be impossible to do that. Numbers now play a great role including the armed forces management.

I believe this is a good idea AS LONG AS we are placed as Chairman of the coalition. The remaking of the constitution will give us the agility to play in the coalition part.

I like Jet and owain ideas and in fully supportt it for the upcoming game. Good idea and good draft for everyone who involved in it.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Quote:

I have to say that Owain missed one important thing that a coalition offers.

In addition to safety, security and even some power to wield, forming a coalition means that you are not just one guild. In fact what you would be doing is building your own community of sorts.

I don't know about anyone else but the social aspect of MMO's is one of features that draws me to play them.

One guild is not only an isolated military target but also remains isolated socially in a free for all PVP setting.

I could not agree more.

Star Citizen Hanger:
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
I think people are misinterpreting my position. After all, did I not say, "In a free for all game, like SB, Eve, and hopefully Darkfall, alliances are much more important, because it isn't you against another side, it's you against the entire world. Almost everyone is potentially an enemy."

Alliances are important, but you count on them too heavily.

On one hand, you may find an ally like England, who will stand with you in the heart of the fire itself.

On the other hand, you may find yourself in a conflict allied with France...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard