Originally Posted By: sinij
Still waiting for an explanation...

-----------------

Also some good reading material on the topic.

Poor not paying enough taxes

Quote:
Three big points, here.

First, the fact that all the lines in the second graph are above zero suggest that the vast majority of households that don't pay federal income taxes do pay federal taxes.

Second, the reason most poor families don't pay federal income taxes is that Republicans and Democrats keep cutting their taxes.

Third, just about everybody has shared in the tax cut parade of the last 30 years. We haven't shared equally, but we've all gotten a break.

More broadly, it's surreal for Republicans to complain about taxes being too low on the poor while they also propose tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. Neither Santorum nor any other candidate has actually said, "I want to raise taxes on the poor to pay for tax cuts for the rich," in so many words. But there is no other way to interpret the dual claims that not enough people pay income taxes and also tax rates should be lower. If you want higher federal income taxes on the poor and lower tax revenue overall, you are asking for the poor to subsidize a tax cut for the rich. The math doesn't work out any other way.

Looks to me like the debt went up 4.5 trillion during W's 8 years, and the same amount in Obama's 3 years. For this I condemn both. I would say Obama's worse since he's doing it faster, but the end result is the same: the end of the dollar.

As to your other link, I wouldn't disagree with your premise,and I don't disagree that they would have to "pay more". However, they might not pay more in taxes, they might just have to pay for more things themselves that the government picks up now. 50 million people are on food stamps. 3.1 million households receive section 8, earned income tax credit PAYS people for paying their taxes, etc. That has to end.

I would suggest either a flat tax with 15k per person exempt, OR that the Congress passes a budget, then the tax rate is changed for that year to pay it off. People would see what happened if they voted poorly REAL QUICK if they had to pay for it the next year.

Now Sinij, before you mention corporate welfare, I'm against all of that too.

KGB Darkfall