Allow me to inject a thought here since we don't really know his underlying reasons for doing what he did.

I will agree the Classification system is useful in flagging certain content based on the damage it may cause if made public.
Most of it is somewhat overkill, but legitimate.

HOWEVER

It seems that more and more criminal or grey-area activity is being Classified just to keep the details out of the public eye.

NSA / Telco wiretapping anyone ?

Seems to be the way to go these days if you get caught doing something you shouldn't be doing in the first place. Just classify it or play the "States Secrets" trump card and walk away. Might explain the nervousness about the folks who were sending the diplomatic cables back and forth.

Should be easy to determine his reasons. If he was getting paid to do so, then there you go. Money motivates a lot of folks. Especially underpaid military personnel with high level clearances. If he wasn't being paid by a third party for the information, then things get a bit more interesting when it comes down to the "why".

I'm all for doling out the punishment if he deserves it, but if you're privy to material being Classified solely to cover illegal or grey-area activities, then the game changes a bit.

I'll wait until we know the reasons for his actions before I tie him to the pole and give him a blindfold and cigarette. laugh