I am not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, so I will simply say that I am sure it's obvious but just to highlight it further most "other guilds" whether they be considered good pvp'ers or not operate in small groups of tight knit players, think of the organization more like a Navy SEAL team, or delta special forces. They play along side these people often and go out on raids together, seeking targets of opportunity, playing hide and seek games, trying to lure people into a ambush, they are opportunists and if you chase them you're playing right into their hands. They'll show you one or two people and keep the rest back healing and buffing, once initial contact is made with sizable retaliation, then the rest of the team comes out to fight. So as far as actual formations, I am doubting you will ever actually see that unless game design produces bonuses for doing so, you might see formations in close quarter fighting done inside a city fortification, however I feel this style becomes far too predictable, and is not viable in Darkfall's wild wild west approach to pvp.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]