A DF follower recently posted an article on WarCry regarding the chat rooms that MMOs have become...
http://df.warcry.com/news/view/72765-Darius-Black-Role-Playing-Today

He's hoping and I as well, that DF will have the immersion needed to foster a role playing player base like UO did. I remember in UO we had to actually have a KOS list that separated enemies from RP enemies. On the one hand you had RPK guilds like "Krypt K33per5" on our KOS list and then we had RP evil guilds like Shadowclan orcs on our KOS list. Both were enemies but Shadowclan we treated with respect and helped their events be popular. The RPKers we'd loot to the bone and kill them until they logged out crying and cancelling their accounts.

KGB also use to be considered a casual role playing guild. A true RP guild would scoff at that since we used RL lingo way too often but "normal" guilds definitely would make fun of us from time to time for how we pretended to be Knights. We've almost completely grown away from our RPing side though which saddens me. I hope in AoC and DF we can regain that carefree side. I use to say "Aye" so much that I started using the word IRL without meaning to, which always led to someone calling me weird.

The worst thing that could happen is for us to just become another large guild. It's our laws and "protect the innocent" rules that separate us. Roleplaying can bring a guild together and make playing the game all the more fun. I'm not talking about us only speaking in-character or using old english words only but doing guild events like parades through town, town hall meetings, being the honor guard for in-game marriages or silly things like that which we used to do in UO would be nice to see again.

"It's not enough to win... others have to lose."
-Stephen Colbert 'Colbert Report'
Hall of Fame record