Originally Posted By: Sini
Not to detract from Dave Brat's positive achievements, but his platform of a) defund Obamacare b)"peace through strength" + balance budgets = social spending slashing does not instill any confidence in me. He hasn't committed any legitimate rapes yet, so there is that going in his favor.

In other words generic ultra-conservative candidate. So I simply disagree with him, since he hasn't yet earned my derision.

Interestingly enough thus far I have not seen him talk about lowering taxes. Nor of slashing social services.

Freezing spending increases, yes. As an economist he knows that inflation is essentially a tax, and one that combined with almost 0% interest harms the poor more than anyone.

But really, Dems at this point should be looking to cut spending as well. At least if they want to continue providing social services in a meaningful manner - not just next year, but 10 and 20 years from now. Getting debt and interest payments under control should be a no brainer for all sides. The question where legitimate disagreement should occur is in what should be cut.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)